What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans game being delayed for commentators

Packy

Bench
Understanding that so many games start late anyway i guess it isn't a huge deal but something about it just screams at me to be annoyed. It wasn't live on TV so that wasn't affected and I can't put my finger on it but it seems amateur?

Who's responsibility is it to get there on time? Are the 9 guys leaving it too late to get there? Should they be prepared to fly up as early as the teams do? Does Rabs know that planes don't fly in the wet?

I always hear how Rabs considers himself an ultra professional in his role but basically he has let this happen to himself.

How do you guys feel about it?

Danish

Referee
I didn't care much about the delay to the kick off, I did however find the channel 9 coverage of the game completely amateur from start to finish.

They broadcast 15 minutes of pre-game nonsense, including a promo for tourism gold coast it seemed showing theme parks and declaring the region the "home of the bikini" along with a few minutes of senile Warren arriving by chopper (like we give a shit) but then come the last 20 minutes of the 2nd half were cutting out every last shred of the game possible, with video ref decisions showing perhaps a single replay and any time the ball went out cutting directly to the scrum.

with 10 to go golden point was already clearly off the table (it was 5:53 with 10 left on the clock. Clearly no extra time to come), so the final minute of play in which the dragons were desperately trying to set up for a field goal had no tension whatsoever as you know by the fact it was 6:00pm on the dot that it wasn't going over.

Cut the pre-game bullshit and instead include 10 minutes of post-match that you can at least interview the man of the match after the game and perhaps do a summation of the game. Then if a match is going to go into extra time you have 10 minutes at the end of the broadcast in which to add it in without completely ruining it for the home viewer by cutting large sections of the 2nd half out giving away the fact you are making room to fit in extra time.

Raider Azz

Bench
This isn't an isolated incident, it happens every f**king time Nein is involved. It's unprofessional, and it shows how much respect that shitty channel has for the game.

Packy

Bench
What are the usual reasons/excuses for late starts? They couldn't hide this one at all.

ek999

First Grade
This isn't an isolated incident, it happens every f**king time Nein is involved. It's unprofessional, and it shows how much respect that shitty channel has for the game.

Name one other time that a match was delayed because the TV commentary team couldn;t get to the match on time because of plane delays. I love to bag out 9 as much as anyone when they deserve it but it was completely out of their control and did everything they could to minimise the delay including using a helicopter to get them there ASAP from the airport

Raider Azz

Bench
Name one other time that a match was delayed because the TV commentary team couldn;t get to the match on time because of plane delays. I love to bag out 9 as much as anyone when they deserve it but it was completely out of their control and did everything they could to minimise the delay including using a helicopter to get them there ASAP from the airport
Every f**king week a game is delayed because the commentators are dicking around, or Channel 9 wants to squeeze in a few more ads. It happened just the other week during the test match in Canberra, we stood around for ages at the ground waiting for those shit kickers to get into gear.

Abz

Juniors
What are the usual reasons/excuses for late starts? They couldn't hide this one at all.
I'll explain what happened. This was all completely out of Rabs and Gus's hands. Due to Sydney's fog yesterday, there flight was delayed and subsequently backed up (as you'd expect). Therefore they were going to arrive late. They managed, however, to organise a helicopter to get them to the ground ontime. They actually arrived before 3pm, but as you know it was going to take time to setup and get ready etc, that all adds up.

Patorick

Staff member
Should of just got Sterlo to call it.

(Don't listen to Nine, presuming he was there).

Packy

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-another-matter-entirely-20130512-2jg8o.html

I listen as a master goes to work. The producer at Channel Nine is doing all he can to get us there on time. Rabbits counter-punches with suggestions of other callers living in the area who could be rushed in at short notice.

"We'll be right mate. Those things hardly ever come down": Phil Gould's comforting words to fellow commentator Ray Warren. Photo: Quentin Jones
Generally, Rabbits leaves nothing to chance when we travel to games. He organises the latest flight possible to get to the venue and the earliest flight home after the match, even if he has to call the last five minutes of play as we're running down the back stairs.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...er-entirely-20130512-2jg8o.html#ixzz2T7tm7wUL

just noticed this by Gould.. clearly tounge in cheek but gives you some perspective. Rabs doesn't care anymore and we wouldn't miss him TBH.

Big Sam

First Grade
with 10 to go golden point was already clearly off the table (it was 5:53 with 10 left on the clock. Clearly no extra time to come), so the final minute of play in which the dragons were desperately trying to set up for a field goal had no tension whatsoever as you know by the fact it was 6:00pm on the dot that it wasn't going over.

This is the worst part of the Sunday afternoon game. The way CH9 edits it, they give away the result, especially in close matches.

Packy

Bench
We land on the rear playing field. Channel 9 cameras are there to greet the great man. A golf cart then gets us swiftly from the aircraft to the grandstand. We race upstairs, sit behind the microphones, the Dragons kick off and Rabbits delivers a faultless call of the big match.

I also like this bit haha. I don't know how many times he f**ked up Vidot and Stanley

ek999

First Grade
Disagree completely. If Rab's didn't care anymore he would simply stop. He is absolutely shit scared of flying which even cost him his job at 10 in the 80's yet he will still does it many weeks during the year to call matches. Even though he didn't want to fly up yesterday or get in a helicopter to get to the match he still did it to make the call

gronkathon

First Grade
He can't quit. He is still paying off the house etc because of his years of pissing away his earnings at the TAB and the pub

ek999

First Grade
What happened with Soward? I know absolutely nothing about yesterdays match apart from the score and the commentators were late

Danish

Referee
Disagree completely. If Rab's didn't care anymore he would simply stop. He is absolutely shit scared of flying which even cost him his job at 10 in the 80's yet he will still does it many weeks during the year to call matches. Even though he didn't want to fly up yesterday or get in a helicopter to get to the match he still did it to make the call

What was to stop him flying up on saturday exactly? Had a horse to lose $10K on I suppose?

ek999

First Grade
Why does he need to fly up on a Saturday. The match was delayed by 14 minutes because of a flight delay of an hour and a half and is the only time I can think of the commentators being late to a match. Its a storm in a teacup