What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans game being delayed for commentators

Danish

Referee
This is the first time the commentators have been late to a match, but its the 9th time this year kick off on a sunday has not been on time.

I literally have never been to a friday night or saturday 3pm game that have started on time. They are at least 5 minutes late every week, usually 10 mins. Why I do not know.

Fox manages to get their games started on the dot pretty much most weeks. The 7:30 saturday game occasionally being a little delayed but the 5:30 and 2:00pm games you can set your watch to. Monday nights are usually a little late but that IMO is largely agreed with the clubs to allow a little more time for fans to get to their seats.

Big Sam

First Grade
Funny Rabs suggested the 2GB approach of calling games from a studio in Sydney.

That's understandable for games abroad (and I'd expect 9 to do this during the WC), but for games interstate, that's a joke.

chigurh

I didn't care much about the delay to the kick off, I did however find the channel 9 coverage of the game completely amateur from start to finish.

They broadcast 15 minutes of pre-game nonsense, including a promo for tourism gold coast it seemed showing theme parks and declaring the region the "home of the bikini" along with a few minutes of senile Warren arriving by chopper (like we give a shit) but then come the last 20 minutes of the 2nd half were cutting out every last shred of the game possible, with video ref decisions showing perhaps a single replay and any time the ball went out cutting directly to the scrum.

with 10 to go golden point was already clearly off the table (it was 5:53 with 10 left on the clock. Clearly no extra time to come), so the final minute of play in which the dragons were desperately trying to set up for a field goal had no tension whatsoever as you know by the fact it was 6:00pm on the dot that it wasn't going over.

Cut the pre-game bullshit and instead include 10 minutes of post-match that you can at least interview the man of the match after the game and perhaps do a summation of the game. Then if a match is going to go into extra time you have 10 minutes at the end of the broadcast in which to add it in without completely ruining it for the home viewer by cutting large sections of the 2nd half out giving away the fact you are making room to fit in extra time.

This

People still watch the delayed 4pm Sunday game?

And this.

The 9 coverage is completely amateur.

Packy

Bench
Why does he need to fly up on a Saturday. The match was delayed by 14 minutes because of a flight delay of an hour and a half and is the only time I can think of the commentators being late to a match. Its a storm in a teacup

Why can't he get a morning plane to be early instead of pushing it to the limit? Reminds me of the young kids I get here at my work that launch out the door at 5pm as if they are being tortured yet are happy to turn up late and expect to be paid for it.

It's a bit weak and if he doesn't respect the position he has then he should respectfully move on. As I said. Wouldn't be missed.

ek999

First Grade
It f**ked up a lot of schedules yesterday. The Adelaide Crows didn't have half of their coaching team until near the end of the first quarter because of it. One 14 minute delay and people are bitching about it

Packy

Bench
No one is really bitching. But we would like something said to ensure we don't deal with this ever again.

Why leave things to chance?

Friday night games get delayed by up to 30 minutes. Now that I think about it delays usually don't happen with fox matches. The worst is when the players are on the field ready to kick off and they just wait for the cameraman to be ready.

Round 1 Thursday night was about 20 minutes delayed too.

Patorick

Staff member
What, there are no commentators living in Queensland now?
AwOxDCoCQAEj9Wf.jpg:large

:sarcasm:

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
with 10 to go golden point was already clearly off the table (it was 5:53 with 10 left on the clock. Clearly no extra time to come), so the final minute of play in which the dragons were desperately trying to set up for a field goal had no tension whatsoever as you know by the fact it was 6:00pm on the dot that it wasn't going over.

They'd given the man of the match before the last scrum even packed. Now granted there wasn't much that changed that choice but it's another sign of how the result was a foregone conclusion due to their editing.

aqua_duck

Coach
The way Rabs has been calling the game from the nose bleed seats with no binoculars and no tv monitors

Springs

First Grade
I didn't care much about the delay to the kick off, I did however find the channel 9 coverage of the game completely amateur from start to finish.

They broadcast 15 minutes of pre-game nonsense, including a promo for tourism gold coast it seemed showing theme parks and declaring the region the "home of the bikini" along with a few minutes of senile Warren arriving by chopper (like we give a shit) but then come the last 20 minutes of the 2nd half were cutting out every last shred of the game possible, with video ref decisions showing perhaps a single replay and any time the ball went out cutting directly to the scrum.

Cut the pre-game bullshit and instead include 10 minutes of post-match that you can at least interview the man of the match after the game and perhaps do a summation of the game. Then if a match is going to go into extra time you have 10 minutes at the end of the broadcast in which to add it in without completely ruining it for the home viewer by cutting large sections of the 2nd half out giving away the fact you are making room to fit in extra time.

The golden point thing pisses me off so much. I remember Burt lining up a goal to send it into Golden Point in 2010 against the Tigers. Already knew it had missed since it was already 6.

That's understandable for games abroad (and I'd expect 9 to do this during the WC), but for games interstate, that's a joke.

I'd be very surprised if Nine could be bothered paying their commentators for that. Usually for overseas games they just have Vossy and Sterlo introduce it then cut straight to the British feed. No idea what they will do for the WC with no Vossy, who always seemed the most committed to bring international news and games to Australian viewers.

An41

Juniors
I'll explain what happened. This was all completely out of Rabs and Gus's hands. Due to Sydney's fog yesterday, there flight was delayed and subsequently backed up (as you'd expect). Therefore they were going to arrive late. They managed, however, to organise a helicopter to get them to the ground ontime. They actually arrived before 3pm, but as you know it was going to take time to setup and get ready etc, that all adds up.

What do you mean by set up?
crews and field techs set up comms boxes and cabling way before kickoff

undertaker

Coach
Yeah, I just chuck on a live internet stream from another country.

Live, from another country.

That's right. New Zealand and the UK get it live.

This is the worst part of the Sunday afternoon game. The way CH9 edits it, they give away the result, especially in close matches.

which is another reason why the Sunday game should be live. Like the Anzac match, have a pre-game show starting at 3:30pm with kickoff at 4:05pm. Delayed telecasts, and SD coverage don't belong in 2013.

YOur frustration reminds me of that Broncos game a few years ago where Parker had a kick from the sideline to force it into extra time. Given that it was already 5:58pm or so before he took the conversion, you knew that the game wouldn't go into extra time as Ch9 always start their news at 6pm.

Also, regarding the editing of matches, that Panthers/Tigers Sunday game before the Logies last year was a shocker. Ch9 were running so late and as a result, there was a lot of editing in the 2nd half to ensure the broadcast finished by 6pm.

OT, I hear that next Friday night's coverage begins at 7pm. Any particular reason for that? Are they going to extend the pre-game show by another half hour?

Last edited:

Raider Azz

Bench
That's right. New Zealand and the UK get it live.

which is another reason why the Sunday game should be live. Like the Anzac match, have a pre-game show starting at 3:30pm with kickoff at 4:05pm. Delayed telecasts, and SD coverage don't belong in 2013.

YOur frustration reminds me of that Broncos game a few years ago where Parker had a kick from the sideline to force it into extra time. Given that it was already 5:58pm or so before he took the conversion, you knew that the game wouldn't go into extra time as Ch9 always start their news at 6pm.

Also, regarding the editing of matches, that Panthers/Tigers Sunday game before the Logies last year was a shocker. Ch9 were running so late and as a result, there was a lot of editing in the 2nd half to ensure the broadcast finished by 6pm.

OT, I hear that next Friday night's coverage begins at 7pm. Any particular reason for that? Are they going to extend the pre-game show by another half hour?
Yep. And I bet they still hold back the kick off.