What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans team for Lismore trial

damo72

Juniors
Mathers is out for this game due to either injury or illness, I did remember reading it somewhere that there were only 3 of their squad unavailable for the clash.
Personally I do see the Titans struggling this season, as I don't think there are enough established first graders in their squad to lead them through a full season. Sure they have alot of potential but that will only get them so far. I can't wait to see the match on Saturday night, seeing the boys in blue in gold is more than worth the 7 hour drive.

Utey

Coach
I'll just make it clear that the side looks unimpressive and I don't want to get hammered if they belt us. But when I was hearing who they had signed individually, it sounded much better than when they have paired them all together. Honestly, that side imo won't even challenge for the top 8.

Bigfella

Coach
They lack front row depth, for sure. Bailey gets injured and they are in massive trouble.

Some back row ability, but Hilder at the end of last year was for more impressive there than 5/8. And i agree Preston would be better off at 5/8.

I think there best side would be something more like:

1. Mathers
2. Rogers
3. Delaney (GK)
4. O’Dwyer
5. Webster
6. Campbell
7. Prince
8. Bailey
9. Friend
10. Hodgson
11. Laffranchi
12. Minichello
13. Hilder

14. Meyers
15. Swain
16. Henderson
17. Paea

But the loss of a couple Carney and the bloke from Melbourne has just cost them a little depth in the backs, and I think they lacked depth in the forwards anyway.

I do think the administration did as well as could have been expected, to start a club / team from scratch, but it's a big ask.

cardinal

Juniors
Couple of injuries and their cactus, I think the titans, souths, tigers and cronulla will make up the bottom 4.

DeeGan

Bench
Can we remember this is a trial and by no means the final make up of our team.

Preston Campbell I don't expect to play in the number one jersey in 2007 - Cartwright is experimenting with him there with the absence of likely fullback Richie Mathers is out with the flu. Campbell will see 20-40 minutes at fullback and will attack either side of the ruck as a traditional five-eight. "Bowen like" in attack I think Cartwright stated is the plan.

Can I ask why Richie may be a "wasted buy"?

How much have you seen of Richie Mathers play in any rugby league to make such a bold statement when the season has yet to start?

Richie was one of the better players last weekend in a team loaded with feeder players and youngsters looking to push for inclusion in the 32 man squad we will pick from in 2007.

The forward pack is by no means a "pack of names" ala Brisbane or Canterbury though we have very good players laying the foundation up front.

Luke Bailey is world class and will be the cornerstone of the pack. He will be partnered by the James Stosic, an honest prop from Cronulla and Michael Henderson is jumping out of his skin to secure a run on birth. Henderson will have a big season.

Anthony Laffranchi is a very good back rower and made his representative debut for Country last season. I think he is an excellent pick up for the club and Tigers fans are ruing the loss.

Nathan Friend had a very good season at Melbourne last year and is out recovering from off-season surgery. He deserves an opportunity to be a 60-80 minute player in the NRL.

Gavin Cooper could be anything in this competition. He has size, speed and ball skills. Cooper could be on those players in 2007 who surprises a whole lot of people. I think he is a future Queensland Origin player.

The rest of the pack will be mixed with veterans and young talent with NRL experience. Minichiello, Meyers, Hodgson, O'Dwyer, Swain, Hilder, Kahler etc.

There is a nice blend of veteran leadership and savvy mixed with young players in this team.

Will we make the finals? Tough ask for a debutant team - though Melbourne did it. I won't however make any bold predicitions other than to say we were turn up each week and give the opposition a tough contest.

Our main obstacles will be injuries to key personnel over a long NRL season. With some luck in the injury department, anything can happen.

Trial results mean sweet FA when all is said and done. We are giving as many players as possible a chance to press for first team selection so I am not too concerned with results.

The first 5-6 weeks of the season will be crucial for us given the first team will be gelling as one, if we can come through that period with .500 record or thereabouts, we are in good stead.

Saw some of the Titans players at park beach plaza in Coffs last night. Chris Walker, Preston, scotty prince, luke bailey, sideshow, delaney and few others looked good in their team polo shirts. Also looked very fit.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I think you summed it all up well DeeGan.

By the way, after 2006 I would love it if Parra could have a 50% win ratio after the first 6 or so rounds also.

Utey

Coach
Nathan Friend will be good for you guys, he tore us a new a**hole last year.

Iam not having a go at you mate, I hope to see you guys have a good year, so don't get me wrong.

DeeGan

Bench
<UPtheEELS> said:
Iam not having a go at you mate, I hope to see you guys have a good year, so don't get me wrong.

No, no - I am not interpreting it anything like that champ by anyone here. Posting our opinion is what we use a forum for, no harm done ;-)

This will be a good test for both teams.

The halves pairing for you guys will be interesting - I think it is potentially a nice "marriage" to be honest. I think Smith will be better for the up and down season he had last year and Finch's game will compliment him.

It will all depend on your forwards creating room as it is for any team. If your forwards dominate their opponents, the Eels pose a genuine threat if Smith and Finch click from the start.

I can't help but think the loss of McKinnon will be felt. I still can't fathom as to why he was lost to your club. Maybe someone can fill me in? I didn't pay much attention to the lead up to his signing with NZ.

The Colonel

Immortal
DeeGan said:
I can't help but think the loss of McKinnon will be felt. I still can't fathom as to why he was lost to your club. Maybe someone can fill me in? I didn't pay much attention to the lead up to his signing with NZ.

He wanted a three year deal, the club offered him two - the Warriors were happy to give him three. Fairly simple.

With players like Krisnan Inu and Joel Reddy waiting for a first grade shot and Jarryd Hayne throwing his hat into the ring at fullback we are very well served in that area.

DeeGan

Bench
The Colonel said:
He wanted a three year deal, the club offered him two - the Warriors were happy to give him three. Fairly simple.

"Fairly simple" when you know the lead up to his departure ;-)

Thanks.

Suitman

Post Whore
DeeGan said:
"Fairly simple" when you know the lead up to his departure ;-)

Thanks.

DeeGan,

I think it was you who posted some photos on the Gold Coast site of Skilled Park
Do you have any more?

Cheers, Suity.

I thought sideshow had an injury that needed surgery? I hope he gets the spot ahead of "Walker the Talker".

He should be shown the door, from rugby league all together.

Latest posts