What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans to be partypoopers

DeeGan

Bench
From the Courier Mail:
Titans to be partypoopers

Paul Malone

June 30, 2006

NSW State of Origin prop Luke Bailey says the Gold Coast Titans can succeed where the Broncos, Manly and Parramatta failed by making the finals in their foundation season because they have not recruited "partygoers".

Bailey, promoted to start for the Blues in next week's deciding Origin match, said he had not expected the Titans to assemble as much depth as they have when he agreed to be one of their first signings last year.

Bailey's St George clubmate Michael Henderson this week became the 16th signing of a Gold Coast club needing as a strong a 25-man roster as possible to make the finals – something which an all-star Brisbane team was unable to do with a final five in 1988. Manly and Parramatta finished in the last two positions in their first year, 1947.

"They are talking about making the finals in our first couple of years, but there's no reason why it can't happen in the first year," Bailey said.

"I'm just happy they are getting some good signings and with June 30 around the corner I guess there will be a couple more. I'm happy with what they have got. I wasn't expecting to have a topline team as we have got so far.

"They seem a pretty dedicated bunch of players – they haven't really got any partygoers up there straight away They are family-oriented type of blokes to get the right atmosphere up there and I think that's pretty smart."

Bailey, 26, was enthusiastic about Titans coach John Cartwright's rundown of his plans to recruit and then prepare the team for next year's NRL entry when they met at a recent Dragons-Penrith game

"I like the mixture of the players, all solid players, Anthony Laffranchi, Frank Puletua and Brad Meyers, who will keen to re-introduce himself to the NRL," he said.

"The halves will be good and (Irish winger) Brian Carney has been killing them for Newcastle. Once we get to training in November, we'll be all right."

In the meantime, Bailey believes he can play in another NSW series-winning team and finally seize an NRL premiership with St George Illawarra, who is again favourite after winning six games in a row.

"Last year was a good learning curve because I don't think the younger blokes realised how close the ultimate prize was for them," he said.

"We haven't been playing too great a footy and it's important we start sticking to our game plan and win a few more games better than we have been doing."

Bailey said he felt he has not yet fired in Melbourne conditions and he was determined that NSW matches Queensland for enthusiasm after his return from injury to the NSW side occurred in a 30-6 shellacking for the Blues in Brisbane two weeks ago.

"Personally, I haven't had a great game in Melbourne," he said. "The state of the grass will be interesting with the roof closed."

I am with Bull Bailey here - I am surprised at the quality and depth we are getting in our signings, the recruiting the guys have done has far exceeded the expections I had this time last season. Look at the 17 players currently, we have: 6 former or current Test players and 2 players who have represented Country. We are looking at guys like Brett Delaney as well, our future is bright and even more so when looking at kids like Chris Sandow who will be tearing up the NRL in a few seasons.

Melbourne in their first three seasons made the finals - I think we are at least a chance of making the finals in our debut season IF we can remain healthy. There are alot of cynics (funnily enough Bear fans that I have met or have contacted me) who think we are shoe-ins for the wooden spoon. I would love to wager with anyone on this forum that we will not be a wooden spoon team in 2007 ;-)

Davester

Juniors
I highly doubt the Gold Coast Titans will be last on the ladder in their debut season next year. The depth the team has is very good and I tip them to see Finals footy in 2007.

Gosh it's gonna hurt seeing Prince and Laffranchi in a different team :( Understandable though as to why they signed with the Gold Coast.

t-ba

Post Whore
Look at Catalans. Great squad on paper, haven't gelled and are coming second last in the Super League. It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of cohesion and consistency. That's why a side like the 2002 NEagles punched well above their weight and why a squad like the Roosters now is blowing chunks!

Good luck though. Hope to get a season ticket (If I can afford it!).

DeeGan

Bench
Have to agree with PARANoIR here though I take your point t-ba re: the team having to gel together in order to make a good squad work. The majority of the Gold Coast Titans fans do no expect miracles early, though if we can have the majority of the Top 20 in our squad remain healthy, we are going to exceed expectations and goals set 12mths ago.

A finals birth is not out of the realms of possibility in 2007 - I am sure the Melbourne Storm were not expected to contend as early as they did (3rd in 1998 with 17 wins) either :D

ledzep

Bench
Catalans is a different situation, in that a fair amount of the players are new to the rigours of constant top grade football, whereas, most of the Titans players will be experienced first graders

girvie

Staff member
DeeGan said:
There are alot of cynics (funnily enough Bear fans that I have met or have contacted me) who think we are shoe-ins for the wooden spoon. I would love to wager with anyone on this forum that we will not be a wooden spoon team in 2007 ;-)
Which Bears fans think that? And where are they?

DeeGan

Bench
girvie said:
Which Bears fans think that? And where are they?

Unfortunately not all the loyal North Sydney Bears fans frequent the online realm. I am no way grouping all who follow the once mighty club, if that is the impression I gave, I am correcting that here.

As I have stated on the Titans forum, this was a general comment made there that did on my part need clarification as I am not grouping all who support the North Sydney Bears.

The Bears fans I speak of are the fans I have encountered on the street (approached when wearing a Titans hat and polo shirt on three such occasions, twice in NSW and once at a Burleigh Bears game) and some of the amusing e-mails I have received from "fans" who for reasons known to them believe abusing me personally in an e-mail explaining why we [the Titans] will fail as a club (my e-mail is in my signature at the Titans forum).

Admittedly those three occasions I have experienced were when we as a club sat idle with five signings - opinions may have changed now when looking at the 17 man roster we have currently ;-)

girvie

Staff member
DeeGan said:
Unfortunately not all the loyal North Sydney Bears fans frequent the online realm. I am no way grouping all who follow the once mighty club, if that is the impression I gave, I am correcting that here.

As I have stated on the Titans forum, this was a general comment made there that did on my part need clarification as I am not grouping all who support the North Sydney Bears.

The Bears fans I speak of are the fans I have encountered on the street (approached when wearing a Titans hat and polo shirt on three such occasions, twice in NSW and once at a Burleigh Bears game) and some of the amusing e-mails I have received from "fans" who for reasons known to them believe abusing me personally in an e-mail explaining why we [the Titans] will fail as a club (my e-mail is in my signature at the Titans forum).

Admittedly those three occasions I have experienced were when we as a club sat idle with five signings - opinions may have changed now when looking at the 17 man roster we have currently ;-)

I think any Bears fans who says the Titans will win the spoon is just joking around. It is too early to tell.

key too defeating the titans is too keep running at there halfs once teams keep picking up on this Titans are screwed imo

u also better hope Prince can pick up hes 05 form to cause hes partlythe reason why we arent winning many this year hes kicking is horrible

DeeGan

Bench
girvie said:
I think any Bears fans who says the Titans will win the spoon is just joking around. It is too early to tell.

My post was part tounge in cheek with that comment as well I might add, nothing sinister in it ;-) One such fan that I did bump in to was straight to the point and was obviously (understandably) still hurting a little with not having the Central Coast Bears get the 16th license. I think anything that popped into his head that may have potentially bothered me was said ... "water off a duck's back" though.

Again on all three occasions we only had the five signings and it may have been seen as an easy dig at the Titans - I am not too sure not was I too concerned, more amused.

"It is too early to tell", agree, again, I think the comments were made with little thought put in to the would-be abuse :cool:

dannyboy

Juniors
The Bunnies are still playing in 2007 aren't they??? If so, the spoon has already been decided.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
The rabbitohs have been buying good players lately, I don't expect them to get the spoon. I think the Eels or Roosters will get the spoon.

JK

Big call. Here's another one...

I think eels, roosters, panthers, knights and rabbitohs will be towards the bottom of the table with warriors, raiders, titans and sharks making up the next group and the broncos, cowboys, bulldogs, tigers, dragons, eagle and storm fighting out the top place.

cooba

Juniors
Typical of the Gold Coast"fast food" quick results-it may be a bit better if you start slowly. When the "Raiders" won their first game against Newtown there were scenes as jubilant as winning the first Grand Final. Start winning from the start maybe would be more harmful than good.

t-ba

Post Whore
roosterbooster1 said:
Catalans is a different situation, in that a fair amount of the players are new to the rigours of constant top grade football, whereas, most of the Titans players will be experienced first graders

Many of those had the advantage of playing together at UTC though ;-) . And only a handful of the Catalans regular XVII don't have top flight experience. Their squad is vastly superior to atleast 4 SL outfits on paper too. But one of those squads, whose management has prudently built over the last few seasons in the face of relegation, is going superbly!

I just think they souldn't be expecting too much next year. Turn up, cheer the boys on, and know that you're doing your bit for the Broncos alternative in SEQLD and maybe even building a case for another club in the region!

bjm8

Juniors
Davester said:
I highly doubt the Gold Coast Titans will be last on the ladder in their debut season next year. The depth the team has is very good and I tip them to see Finals footy in 2007.

Gosh it's gonna hurt seeing Prince and Laffranchi in a different team :( Understandable though as to why they signed with the Gold Coast.

Depth? They have 16 players! Thats not even a team yet!

eels_fan_01

Bench
They may only have 17 players which isnt a squad but that is bought players, they have heaps of juniors. They will have good depth, there is heaps of qld cup players who dont get a chance in the nrl but they should now and alot could make it.

Latest posts