What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Titans whinging in the media again...This time attacking Lockyer

_Johnsy

Referee
This thread is about the titans whinging via the media, again. You do remember Jamie SIMPSON dont you ?

Start with Walker contradiciting himself in the first two sentences. he aludes to him being a diver, but does not have the balls to come out and say it. You know he dived, i do, everyone does.

Then we have Carty, and Searle using the media to have a whinge. Just accept it your club are whingers.

The Tank

Bench
I like it when Searle whinges because it's not just about the Titans - it's about the betterment of rugby league. Carty on the other hand is all about the Titans football.

_Johnsy

Referee
http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/09/15/137371_gold-coast-titans.html
Spray scores Titans coach $10,000 fine
Luke Turgeon | September 15th, 2009

john-cartwright-fine.jpg

Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright at training on the Gold Coast yesterday.

JOHN Cartwright will reach into his own pocket after the NRL last night imposed a $10,000 fine on the Titans following revelations the Gold Coast coach had approached match officials during Saturday night's qualifying final against Brisbane at Skilled Park.

As debate continued to rage over the Darren Lockyer `dive' saga, the bitter fallout took another twist after it was revealed Cartwright gave whistleblowers Ben Cummins and Ashley Klein a half-time spray during a chance meeting on his way to the Titans sheds.
It is the second time Cartwright has fallen foul of the NRL for confronting officials after he paid $5000 for approaching video referee Steve Nash against Manly in 2007.
Titans boss Michael Searle said Cartwright had already offered to pay the fine.
"When he stuffed up, Carty said he would pay it," said Searle.
"If he didn't have emotion in that game then he should give it up, fair dinkum.
"He walked down his normal path and was in the centre tunnel and they walked through the centre tunnel as he was walking into the dressing sheds.
"He was clearly very guarded with what he said in the press conference and that was smart, but his blood was boiling at half-time."
NRL rules state that under no circumstances are match officials to be approached, questioned, or harassed in any way by club officials either during or after a match.
"Coaches have ample opportunity to give reasonable opinions on refereeing decisions to the media and, in the days following, to the referees' coaching staff but it is unacceptable for them to approach the referee at the game," said NRL chief David Gallop.

Lockyer's reputation takes a dive

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/09/14/137101_gold-coast-titans.htmlLuke Turgeon | September 14th, 2009

DARREN-lockyer-dive.jpg

Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer appears to milk a penalty in the 43rd minute. Pictures courtesy of Channel 9

IT is the `dive' that would have made Beijing gold medallist Matthew Mitcham proud.

All that was missing was a pair of Speedos, as Australian Test captain Darren Lockyer turned it on for `judges' Ben Cummins and Ashley Klein to milk a crucial penalty against the Gold Coast on Saturday night.
In the 43rd minute the Broncos skipper collapsed to the Skilled Park turf after a seemingly innocuous bump from Titans centre Chris Walker.
Lockyer lay sprawled out for up to a minute, before a penalty was awarded and Broncos teammate Corey Parker potted a gift two points, shooting Brisbane to a 30-10 lead.
"It is not normally in Locky's nature to take a dive and if he did, it is a bit of a blemish on a fantastic career he has had," said Titans co-captain Luke Bailey.
"Walks isn't going to hurt too many people at the best of times -- no disrespect to him -- but he hasn't got too much shoulder or chest on him. But I didn't think there was much in it."
The Lockyer penalty has infuriated the Titans, compounded by Brisbane centre Israel Folau's push to the back of Walker in the first half that went unpunished and resulted in a Broncos `benefit of the doubt' try.
The converted Folau try and the Parker penalty goal gifted the Broncos eight points, the difference between the two sides (40-32) when the full-time siren sounded.
Titans coach John Cartwright blasted the match officials' performance as `disgraceful', blaming them for snuffing out a miraculous second-half fight back from the Gold Coast.
"If you are going to penalise that (the Lockyer bump), you have got to be fair and disallow that try (to Folau)," said Bailey.

"And I thought the Gold Coast couldn't stoop any lower. But, I have lived here long enough to know we have grown into a bunch of sore losers and sooks. Obviously the bulletin forgot to actually review the footage, you know, the footage showing Chris Walker going out of his way to plant one on Darren Lockyer who wasn't involved in the play. Typical thug, typical Gold Coast, typical whinging bunch of sooks. You're a disgrace Titans, the 16th Licence should have gone to Perth or Adelaide"
"I think Walks got pushed over. If you are going to penalise one team you have to penalise the other.
"Like Carty said, he wasn't happy with the refs' performance and neither were we."
The Broncos yesterday declined to respond to suggestions Lockyer deliberately took a dive.
But a Brisbane official said Lockyer was unfazed by the speculation.
The man at the centre of both incidents, Titans' former Origin flyer Chris Walker, stopped short of branding Lockyer a diver yesterday but said the incident was `disappointing'.
"I know that I didn't give him what he said I gave him and that is disappointing from the Australian captain," said Walker.
"It was around the shoulders and all it was, was just a push.
"It wasn't with the shoulder and there wasn't any malice in it.
"It is disappointing for a player of his stature in the game to do what he did."
Cartwright was in a more relaxed mood at the Titans recovery session at Currumbin yesterday following a heated post-match press conference on Saturday night. But he maintained his frustration at officials.
"I would have hated to go out in that fashion," said Cartwright, whose side would have been eliminated if the Bulldogs lost despite finishing the season in third.
"We probably won't get a lot of credit for the way we played but I thought our forwards answered their critics.
"We were in it right to the death and to come back the way we did has given us a lot of heart."

Cartwright furious over refs calls

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/09/13/136761_gold-coast-titans.htmlLuke Turgeon | September 13th, 2009

john-cartwright-titans-broncos.jpg

John Cartwright ponders what could have been after what he descirbed were glaring inconsistencies.

FURIOUS Titans coach John Cartwright blasted inconsistent refereeing for costing the Gold Coast victory against the Brisbane Broncos in their historic finals debut on Saturday night.

Incensed at the number of calls that went against his side in the first half and several puzzling decisions which stunted their brave fightback, Cartwright took aim at whistleblowers Ben Cummins and Ashley Klein after the match.

"It was disgraceful," said Cartwright.

"Some decisions that went against us definitely cost us the game.

"They scored a lot of points off the back of things that went against us.

"It is a semi-final and we got penalised twice for pushing.

"Ashley Harrison in the first penalty of the game, after it went 10 or 12 minutes with both sides offside and both sides fighting in the ruck like hell, gets penalised for pushing. "Chris Walker gets penalised for pushing.

"I am just aggro and I hate doing it because it was such a great game of footy. "It was just wrong." Titans fullback Mat Rogers was taken to hospital by ambulance for scans after being knocked out cold in the lead-up to the final try of the game.

As Rogers lay motionless on the turf in backplay, Titans trainer Trevor Gillmeister tried to stop the match but was ignored by officials.

A couple of plays later, with the margin at just two points, Broncos prop Dave Taylor plucked an intercept to race away for the winning try. Cartwright said his players were shattered.

"I know Gilly wasn't happy, he was worried about Rogers who was out cold and he was trying to get the game (stopped)," said Cartwright. "We are very fortunate to have Chris Close (in the sheds) who has got tears running down his face talking to those boys.

"All we can do is take the positives out of that.

"We are in the lap of the gods now and I still say through no fault of our own.

"Over-achievers, whatever you want to call them (Broncos), they did nothing wrong and deserved to win the game."

Prince, who had a running battle with Cummins all night, was similarly scathing in his assessment.

"It is difficult, especially when you are playing against a very experienced team in the Broncos," said Prince.

"You just can't give them that, especially with possession and field position, they are going to hurt you.

"I guess at the end of the day that is exactly what happened in that first period.

"We fought back and showed some courage but I think the damage was done."

Titans managing director Michael Searle said he was tremendously proud not only of his players but the passionate and vocal home crowd.

"The crowd lifted the players, they really did," said Searle.

"I thought they were outstanding.

"I am so proud of our fan base and so proud of our players.

"It just reinforces what this club stands for.

The season appears over for Titans utility Josh Graham, who suffered an ankle injury.

<H1>Bite slur `masks Souths slump'</H1>http://www.goldcoast.com.au/article/2009/08/17/108971_gold-coast-titans.html
Luke Turgeon | August 17th, 2009

Gold Coast Titans player William Zillman arrives back at Coolangatta Airport after playing South Sydney

FURIOUS Gold Coast officials yesterday sank their teeth into Souths boss Shane Richardson after he vowed to bring down Titans fullback William Zillman over biting allegations.
Titans managing director Michael Searle and head coach John Cartwright took aim at Richardson, saying his comments were simply aimed at deflecting attention away from the Rabbitohs' failed finals bid.
"It is typical of Shane Richardson," said Searle.
"Their season is over, so it reeks of that. This is just a good opportunity for them to divert the attention away from themselves really because they have had another failed season."

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
The titans try to divert attention away from their shortcomings, try to influence the outcome of a judiciary process before it is heard, the club and it's supporters are whingers.

I am yet to see one Titan fan publicly admonish zillman for his disgusting actions, or say the club handled it poorly.

whistle1

Juniors
Being new to these forums, and having read them for the season, I find it highly amusing it's the same ol' people having a go at the Titans. Bobby and Johnsy in particular. Bobby has done nothing but degrade the club the whole year and Johnsy hasn't been much different.

Being a Titans fan I can't agree more about the whining, we are being portrayed like this sadly. What Carty did was wrong. I don't see Walkers comments a big deal though. I mean seriously - who cares...he pretty much implied Lockyer was milking it, his opinion, and he is entitled to it, and you are also entitled to hate the man for it.

I just find it silly to continue to make stupid threads over such stupid issues, just to express your anger for the club.

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
Being a Titans fan I can't agree more about the whining, we are being portrayed like this sadly. What Carty did was wrong.

That merkin Cartwright would have won the Dally M for whinging if one were offered this year.

The only "portrayal" I see is real life, the Titans are a pack of whingers, especially for new comers on the block.

It's time for the club to STFU and let their football do the talking which might I add, is simply not good enough yet to win the NRL.

skeepe

Immortal
Seems like it's always Luke Bailey as well.. here's his quotes on Michael Weyman last year:

A filthy Gold Coast camp labelled the 114kg Raider a "dog" and called for the NRL judiciary to throw the book at him after Conn was left with a nasty wound to his right eye and nose.

"He has a brain-snap whenever he gets tired, which happens quite regularly," Bailey fired.

"He's only good for 5-10 minutes of the game. He always costs them (Canberra) more than he pleases them."

Bailey believes Weyman should be given a lengthy ban, declaring he breached an unwritten players' code with his "cheap" haymaker.

"It was another cheap shot," Bailey said. "It's one of those things in rugby league that's very disappointing.

"That is a king hit. Conny was just having a bit of a push and he just threw it straight away – that's a king hit regardless of whether he's looking or not.

"His hands were down. That's a cheap shot, and I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.

"He'll have to think about it when he's sitting on the sidelines and it's not the first time he's done that."

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,23493290-5003409,00.html

It should be noted that all this was before the match review committee had met to decide on charges. Trying to influence an outcome at the judiciary using the media is so very Titans.

Last edited:

whistle1

Juniors
which might I add, is simply not good enough yet to win the NRL.

jeez hasn't that been a repetitive statement this season....:roll:

Also bringing up articles from a year ago....just let it go already lol

Last edited:

Broncodr01d

Juniors
The gold coast bitans are fast becoming the NRL's best whingers.

Correct.

The smoke and mirrors BS targetting Lockyer is designed only to take heat away from their own inept performance at home. End of story. The Gold Coast Titans are wearing thin on all. If they don't get their way, if they lose, if they fall victim to a bad decision they cry foul and chuck their toys out the cot.

Once Parramatta eliminate them, I look forward to more of the same from this bunch of tossers. The lack of leadership off the club shows IMO.

skeepe

Immortal
You'd still cheer for them over the Knights though, wouldn't you?

I'd be hoping for a draw after golden point. Couldn't bring myself to support either team.

Parra are close too, but I hate them just a little less than the other two.

That said, I would hate to see the Eels (or more specifically that overrated grub Hindmarsh) win the premiership. He's overrated now, imagine how bad it will be if his team manage to carry him to a premiership!

Last edited:

Fein

First Grade
jeez hasn't that been a repetitive statement this season....:roll:

:sarcasm:
Well they aren't $31 across national sports books for nothing.

The only thing more repetitive has been the bleatings from the Titans.

Last edited:

whistle1

Juniors
:sarcasm:
Well they aren't $31 across national sports books for nothing.

:lol: We're used to this. Nobody expected us to make the 8 at the beginning of the season. We have been told again and again we wouldn't be able to keep up with the higher teams in the comp, yet we've defeated each one of them during the year. Point is we're used to the on-field criticism the team cops. We must have done something right to get this far.

Fein

First Grade
:lol: We're used to this. Nobody expected us to make the 8 at the beginning of the season. We have been told again and again we wouldn't be able to keep up with the higher teams in the comp, yet we've defeated each one of them during the year. Point is we're used to the on-field criticism the team cops. We must have done something right to get this far.

$31 in a 6 horse field with the next outsider around $8.

Therein lay the point.

_Johnsy

Referee
:lol: you keep beating that dead horse.

It is not a dead horse it is a reflection that not many people give the Gold Coast Bitans much of a chance to win the comp this year. It's a reflection of money invested by punters, it's a fact. Just deal with it.

whistle1

Juniors
It is not a dead horse it is a reflection that not many people give the Gold Coast Bitans much of a chance to win the comp this year. It's a reflection of money invested by punters, it's a fact. Just deal with it.

Nobody gave us much chance of making the finals either. Go figure.

Latest posts