What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To all the rugby league supporters out there...

Knight87

Juniors
What was the first game of rugby league you ever went to and first game you remember watching on tv?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Didn't you post this in the Knights forum? Christ you're getting annoying :p

Knight87

Juniors
Soz, i was supposed to post that in the "NRL" category, not the "Newcastle Knights' one. But, since thats the case, this question is for those who are not Newcastle Knights supporters.

Dragon

Coach
The first memory i have of a footy game was at WIN stadium when the Steelers played the green machine. I musta been very young but my dad tells me i called Mal Meninga a big green martian lol

First game….May 19, 1974 – St George 23 v Balmain 13 at Kogarah Oval
First Wests game….August 18, 1974 – Wests 26 v Penrith 8 at Penrith Park
First TV game….July 6, 1975 – Canterbury 7 v Wests 7 at Belmore

Knight87

Juniors
Man "The Fruit Pickers", youve certainly been around for a long time. I guess you know good old Rex Mossop, ay?

Estoboy

Juniors
The first game I went to was Balmain v Melbourne at Leichhardt Oval.
We won!
I sat in the Mary St stand and tried to figure out how many points a try was worth. Having played union, i couldn't figure out why a try was only 4 points.

First game I can remember seeing was a Balmain game in the mid 90's. It was only a short clip on the news.

The first game I can remember seeing on TV was the Newcastle victory in the GF against manly. I didn't watch much of it though.

J T said:
Man "The Fruit Pickers", youve certainly been around for a long time. I guess you know good old Rex Mossop, ay?
Yes, remember Moose Mossop calling the games on Seven…

Was fortunate enough to meet Tommy Raudonikis, John Dorahy, John Dallas Donnelly, Bruce Bruiser Gibbs, Geoff Foster, Mick Liubinskas, Graeme O’Grady, Russell Mullins, Ron Giteau, Les Boyd, Warren Boland and a few other Magpie players from that era.

And what a place Penrith Park was in 1974…the grandstand was the concrete roof of the toilet block and amenities. :lol:

rabbs

Juniors
My first game,my father took me to the 1965 grand final,St George and Souths, travelled up from Kiama but went home disappointed.

aarondoyle

Juniors
First game I went to: Australia vs New Zealand - Game 3/3 - 1995 @ Old Lang Park... it was a great game and we were sitting in the outter with the real yobbos. It was so much fun, as I was only 12.

First game I ever saw on Tv: no idea. I was 5 when the Broncos were formed and I just have a vague recollection of the games being on most of my childhood. I do remember Origin being an important game every year from when I was little.

brendothejet

First Grade
St George vs Manly, Kogarah Oval early nineties.

I remember Saints losing. The crowd on the hill chanting bullsh*t (something that made a young me laugh). The hotdog my nan got me and having to walk home to South Hurstville.

Footy has been the same for the best part of 16 years since that day.

jumbo

Juniors
A New Zealand persepctive here.
First match I can remember going to:Manakau vs Otahuhu,Fox Memorial Semi 82.
Otahuhu won for the 2nd straight year,players you might recognise:Oatahuhu:Mc'Gahn,Graham,Wright,Tamati.Manakau:Friend,Bell,Wright.
First match I watched on TV:penrith vs Balmain,Winfield Cup:They still were wearing the black strips under their eyes,it was a night game,Balmain won.
Best match ever:New Zealand beating Australia at Carlaw Park 18-0,I was there,it was brilliant.
Close runner up for best match ever seen:Balmain vs Canberra Grand Final,you all know the one.

kooriguy

Juniors
1984 i think.. parra vs souths i remember i didnt enjoy it, maybe because i was 3 or maybe both teams were gay i dunno, but went to a penrith game 6 years later and i absolutley loved it of course i already played junior footy by then.. oh and the 1990 grand final is the earliest game i can remember watching on TV.

BWNB

First Grade
Can't remember the exact score but i think it was 1995 sharks V magpies which the sharks flogged them

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I was born in 1982 the same year as the Raiders and my folks were big fans so I was probably a few months old when I went to my first game. The first I can remember is Canberra v Easts in 1987.

Unfortunatly the Raiders went down 21 - 6

greentongue

Juniors
First game I went to was when I was 9. It was raiders v roosters and raiders won 66-4 and Big Mal scored 5 tries.

first game i attended- canberra vs cronulla at bruce 1994. canberra flogged us 56-12 or something.
first sharks win i attended- 1996 canberra vs cronulla at bruce. won 24-16. paul green got man of the match from memory. it was great!

Trollhammaren

Juniors
My first game was Balmain v Canberra at Leichhardt Oval in 1994. Can't remember the score but Canberra won pretty convincingly.

I have very vague memories of watching Balmain's Grand Finals in the late 80s (I was only 4 or 5 years old). But I remember the streets being painted with orange tiger paw marks all over the footpaths.

Latest posts