What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To the eels supporters....

ArturiusX

Juniors
I see a few of you are predicting gloom, and are requesting big changes need to be made.

But I'd vouch that all 17 players yesterday recieved the greatest football lesson of all; how to handle favouritism. The Broncos, the roosters, and the bulldogs have all been doing it for many seasons. They get the top spot, and they relish in it. They thrive on being the best. It makes them work harder.

Para for the last few years has been using the 'underdog' tag too build themselves up to perform on the field. Thats all well and good, but there's a transitional stage. Suddenly in 2005 they started winning games, and became the minor premiers. They had an easy first round game, and people started wondering how the hell they couldn't play in a grand final. But its all one big mindf**k, to put it bluntly, when you start making the transition from 'every game being sudden death', to 'whens the next one coming?'.

But these blokes will learn from this, if not thrive. They'll learn the reality of sport, and the mental fortitude it requires. These guys are winning players, they just had a brain explosion. But after experiencing that, I can assure you eels fans that next year, so long as the existing 17 (and maybe hindy, haha) are on the paddock, you'll never see a performance like that ever again.

You can call for heads from both coaches and players, you can sit there and get angry, you can think irrational thoughts about what should be done. But take a deep breath, and see that losing a game like this is how champions are made.

And champions the eels shall be in one of the next couple of years.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
No changes need to be made? :lol:

Morris is not a five-eighth and Brian Smith cannot prepare a team for big games, Brett Kenny was right all along.

CrazyEel

Bench
ParraDude_Jay said:
Morris is not a five-eighth and Brian Smith cannot prepare a team for big games, Brett Kenny was right all along.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring that up.

The Colonel

Immortal
It is great when you can use one game for the basis of fact. 25 out of 26 games he did alright as a 5/8. Some forwards had of stood up we might have had 26/26....... He may not be the answer but he didn't do too badly.

CrazyEel

Bench
The Colonel said:
He may not be the answer but he didn't do too badly.
Then we agree and I believe that is what Kenny also said, he is not the long term answer. Hopefully Green may come through in that position for us next year.

shiftysmith

Juniors
The Colonel said:
It is great when you can use one game for the basis of fact. 25 out of 26 games he did alright as a 5/8. Some forwards had of stood up we might have had 26/26....... He may not be the answer but he didn't do too badly.
exactly right..to many people looking for reasons to change a winning formula

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
The Colonel said:
25 out of 26 games he did alright as a 5/8. Some forwards had of stood up we might have had 26/26

Which set of Eels goggles were you wearing when you came up with that statistic?

The Colonel

Immortal
CrazyEel said:
Hopefully Green may come through in that position for us next year.

Don't put your house on it. There are a few more kids I'd be placing my faith in at this stage......

CrazyEel said:
Then we agree and I believe that is what Kenny also said, he is not the long term answer.

I think a lot may hinge on next season. If he can show similar form to this year he may well be a long term solution. At 25 time is on his side as much as anyone else. I'm lead to believe that there are other options being looked at, Green among them, but Johnny is still in the plans......

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:
Which set of Eels goggles were you wearing when you came up with that statistic?

How many bad games did he have this year that were really bad. I can count them on one hand. Given the fact he started in all 26 games however seems to suggest his form wasn't too bad.

You wear Hadley glasses do you?

number8

Juniors
The Colonel said:
How many bad games did he have this year that were really bad. I can count them on one hand. Given the fact he started in all 26 games however seems to suggest his form wasn't too bad.

Hadley/Kenny bi-focals it seems.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
The Colonel said:

No, it suggests he was the only option and was merely solid. Morris has an inability to stand up during big games, it's shown all year. If Morris is our long term number 6 then expect us to continue to fail in the big games in coming years.

And for the record, I wear real world glasses, not Hadley ones :).

Mr Saab

Referee
The Colonel said:
It is great when you can use one game for the basis of fact. 25 out of 26 games he did alright as a 5/8. .

what about the broncos game? down 42-0 at halftime.
sure it wasnt morris' sole fault, but it would be a black mark against him.
Yesterday was another.

Kenny is going to be the "smart man" on 2SM sometime this week...will be sickening to listen to as well.

shiftysmith

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
No, it suggests he was the only option and was merely solid. Morris has an inability to stand up during big games, it's shown all year. If Morris is our long term number 6 then expect us to continue to fail in the big games in coming years.

And for the record, I wear real world glasses, not Hadley ones :).
had we won the comp would you have bought this up morris is a good player and a great defender

CrazyEel

Bench
The Colonel said:
Don't put your house on it. There are a few more kids I'd be placing my faith in at this stage......

I think a lot may hinge on next season. If he can show similar form to this year he may well be a long term solution. At 25 time is on his side as much as anyone else. I'm lead to believe that there are other options being looked at, Green among them, but Johnny is still in the plans......
Well be it Green, Hayne or another youngster as you suggest they do need to find a good 5/8. Morris is a good honest player who contributes a lot but he is not a 5/8 IMO and that is not based on just one game.

ArturiusX

Juniors
ParraDude_Jay said:
No changes need to be made? :lol:

Alright, I'll concede this. But does Para have any emerging 5"8ths? I don't like dropping a guy just because you don't rate him, you still need an adaquate replacement, and does Para have one?

I don't think Morris is all that bad, he's good to go along side Tim Smith, whom likes to have control. You can't have Origin stars at all positions, ya know :)

Utey

Coach
Blake Green wont see FG if he doesnt put in over this off season. He has been very disaapointing from what Ive seen.

shiftysmith

Juniors
<UPtheEELS> said:
Blake Green wont see FG if he doesnt put in over this off season. He has been very disaapointing from what Ive seen.
i agree talk about giving someone a wrap he is good ok but he has alot to learn IMO before he is first grade material

Latest posts