What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today in the Herald

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Yeah I think he means the article about the new training facilities and how they're much better than they were just 18 months to two years ago ;-)

roopy

Referee
It's a good article.
Say what you like about Smith, but he has got us leaving no stone unturned to get the guys onto the field in the best possible condition, and has signed the most athletic group of young players we have ever seen.
The only thing i have doubts about is that our PL setup looks like crap.
Firstgrade and Toyota cup will be fantastic though.

~knights~

Juniors
The Newcastle Knights have been in pre-season training for almost a month.herald reporter Robert Dillon inspected their new high-tech headquarters at Wests Mayfield this week and reveals how improved facilities give them a fighting chance against their NRL rivals

Michael Reid's sadistic smile was instant bad news for two young Newcastle Knights players.

Reid,the club conditioner and general enforcer of rules and regulations,had just discovered crumbs and other post breakfast mess inside the Knights' gleaming new common room that looks out over their Wests Mayfield training base.

The culprits were soon identified and the appropriate punishment meted out .For the next two days,the untidy duo reported to reid at 6am to pay their penance in buckets of sweat.

The penalty is standard and referred to as Reid's "two for one special"

Players who are not punctual ,or cut corners at training ,or arrive without the correct attire or footwear ,can expect the same treatment.

It's a tough school-but one that provides an invaluable education in discipline and professionalism .

As knights coach Brian smith explained :
"If you put people in a pig sty,they'll behave like pigs.
The opposite works as well .You put players in a really professional set-up and they will respond to that.
That's why we've been really big on the cleanliness and the presentation ,and that the players respect the facilites we've got to use.
It brings out the best in them .They behave in a better way when they know that their working environment is clean and efficient and that the equipment they're using is of the highest possible qulaity.
They respond.They start to conduct themselves in that top percentile that you're looking for in preparation.
And frankly ,thats what we've been missing."

Only two years ago,newcastle's No1 sporting team were the poor relations of the Nrl ,handicapped by ammentites that could best be described as prehistoric.

A graphic picture in The Herald in 2005 showed the Knights preparing for training at one of Newcastle University's back ovals,with portaloos and shipping containers as a less than scenic backdrop.

Since then the Wests group has provided a financial lifeline abd gradually built a state-of-the-art training complex at what was once known as Tubemakers Recreation Club.

Smith is confident that-finally-the Knights have the facilites and infrastructure to match any club in the NRL.
"Blokes going to the toilet behind trees and getting strapped up in the back of a ute-all that sort of stuff is kind of Newcastle folklore,but it doesn't win you games in 2007 or 2008,"Smith said
"These boys aren't wanting for any of that sort of stuff anymore.
"We're vey fortunate to have Wests behind us ,and it's a great thing that they are allowing us to have this quality of preparation.
I's really hard to put a financial figure on it.
Basically if it wasn't there,we wouldn't be able to compete .
Quality players don't want to come if the resources and training facilities are poor."

Wests have provided the Knights with a world class gymnasium ,stretching room,ice baths,a spa and sauna and are converting an oval formerly used for cricket and baseball into a rectangular rugby league field.

'Gym equipment is like buying a car -you get what you pay for ,"smith said.
"All this Naultilus stuff that Wests have bought for us,it's like owning a Rolls Royce."

The latest stage of the project hass been the completion of the new common room-dubbed the "Viewing Room" -which has an adjoining change room and massage room.

The Viewing Room ,where players will do video analysis ,features polished floorboards,floor to ceiling windows,air conditioning ,an industrial -style-fridge and cooking equipment.It has become the focal point for training each day.

Six days a week ,players arrive at 6am or 7am.The 6am starters are not all there as punishment -some are the more masochistic types are volunteers,eager for extra work.

Smith said there a number of benefits to be gained from starting so early.Specifically ,aerobic exercise in the morning speeds up the metabolism and burns fat for most of the day.

Every player's day starts with the same routine-they hop on electronic scales and record their weight on a whiteboard .Every couple of weeks the calipers come out and skinfolds recorded.

Vitamin supplements and protein shakes are laid out in named plastic cups.Players can help themselves to cereal,toast,muffins,yohgurt and fruit for breakfast or morning tea.

After a first-up stretching session,Smith's 32 man squad then divides into specific training groups and players head off to their designated sessions-cardio,strength,speed development,tackling technique or skills.

The emphasis is on sharp and snappy.Most sessions last less than an hour;then each group rotates.

Each session is graded by Smith's training staff,from one (easy) to five (intense).Players are then required to evaluate the sessions with their own gradings,to provide feedback.

Staff report to smith if a player is struggling in any particular session,and generally they will lesson his workload.The last thing they want is anyone breaking down.

Some players have asked Smith to start pushing them harder,but he insists that the pre-season is a gradual process.
"I've told them we want them to be fit to play in February ,not christmas",Smith said.

At lunch each day ,players head into a private dining room at Wests mayfield,where a chef has prepared a buffet.the menu changes regularly.

'Partly it's because we want them eating quality food"Smith said.
"But it's also very important that they are able to eat within 20 to 30 minutes of exercising to gain the maximum benefits."

Smith was confident the "great ambience" at training would give his new-look team every chance of success in 2008.
"All the stuff is here,but to get the most out of it is up to them-it's their careers,"he said."The whole thing works better when they're wanting to do this and pushing themselves.
"And that's what is happening .they've responded and I'm really pleased with them".

Coastbloke

Bench
How would the players we have dumped have gone with this new equipment...

If it was the equipment, why did we dump certain players...??

~knights~

Juniors
Coastbloke said:

well how come other players played to their limit

bedsey and gidley always give 100%

while others ??????

Hanscholo

Bench
This is why im happy we moved Smith to Newcastle. There are better game day coaches, better tacticians too. As far as pulling a club into professional football shape, there is nobody i would rather have. The bloke that coaches the club in two or three years time will have a lot to thank Smith for, just like Hagan does now.

Alex28

Coach
Coastbloke said:

Living in the past champ. Just move on...

Transporter2

Juniors
even Josh perry said in league week preview that he didnt give his 100% at the Knights cause there was no pressure for spots to perform, this year we have so many guys who will compete for the same position.

MSKnight

Juniors
I just have to look at the positions up for grabs for me to be convinced Knights players are going to work hard in 2008.

Fullback: Kurt Gidley (Puts in 110% Each Game)
Wingers: Naiqama, McManus, Vuna, Uate, MacDougall SNR, Polglase
Centres: MacDougall JNR, Lulia, Naiqama
5/8th: Mullen, Bailey, Hilder? (If Mullen was not to put in, which I hardly will ever see)
Halfback: Walsh, Dereau (THIS IS WHERE the fight for positions will be on in 2008)
Props: Cross, Sargent, Royal, Tolar, Wicks
Hookers: Buderus, Seu Seu, Young, Hilder?
2nd Rowers: Simpson, Paterson, Ciraldo, Taia, Fa'aoso, Houston
Locks: Hilder, Bailey, Paterson Simpson

I KNOW IVE MISSED PLAYERS.

So much to fight for.

aqua_duck

Coach
If smith says the facilities we have now are good then they must be good because at parra they had some of the best facilities in the NRL, or so I'm told. I mean Souths use to have pretty bad facilities too and since Crowe and Peter HaC took over they've improved the facilities and the overall performance and professionalism has improved.
Smith is a guy who'll help the club establish its infrustructure, and the fact someone like Jason taylor stood up for him must mean that Jt has learnt alot under him

Spitty

Juniors
I can't read enough about pre season training. It makes me want to hit the pavement and use some supplements with my name on the container. Just so I'm fit and ready for season '08.

If only I had something to be fit and ready for.

:cry: Why does the footy have to go away every year? I miss it.

Latest posts