What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todays D-Day......... Change, Same or Dummy Spit?

Wittenberg

Juniors
BJ is an imposter.....sad, he was one of my favourite players. Gave everything and did it all with class but as our CEO he definitely does not get a pass mark. Our Club needs to realise that just because someone has worn the RedV does not mean they understand the needs of the Club. We act like we are stuck in the 1960s. We need to grow up. It’s no accident that the Bulldogs are in a similar situation as us. Two dinosaurs of club land.

BJ is an imposter.....sad, he was one of my favourite players. Gave everything and did it all with class but as our CEO he definitely does not get a pass mark. Our Club needs to realise that just because someone has worn the RedV does not mean they understand the needs of the Club. We act like we are stuck in the 1960s. We need to grow up. It’s no accident that the Bulldogs are in a similar situation as us. Two dinosaurs of club land.
It's actually an insult to the management of the sixties.
Not many ex footballers running the joint back then.

possm

Coach
No matter what happens in later life, I think we can all hold fondly the players we loved when they put on the big red V and did us proud. In recent times their have been questions about:

Johnston
Mark Coyne
De Belin
Langlands

All of these players I hold fondly and am grateful for the great entertainment I received from them on the field. I do wish Choc kept is religion to himself but enjoyed the magnificent way he played for the Dragons. I still smile when I think of Johny Raper and the Bowler Hat affair.

merahputih

Juniors
Good point W. We on this forum like to put shite on teams like The Roosters, brown paper bags, etc. The cold hard facts are that the game has evolved into a big money professional sport that requires a hard nosed professional management to run clubs. If clubs go outside the boundaries they are found out and punished (Eels, Sharks, etc). To assume The Roosters have some magic immunity in the salary cap area is naive- they just have a highly professional and ruthless approach to winning, and a CEO like Politis who, like him or not is a highly respected and influential business figure with a network of business contacts outside the club (for TPA's etc) who constantly gets results. They don't hesitate to go outside their club bubble to attract the best coaching staff and players and rarely miss their mark.

I was very disappointed to read reports that Bruce Gordon had intervened in the CEO selection process for our CEO: I had expected that he and his family's entry into The Dragons management team would signal the start of a new era of professionalism that would put us on an equal footing with the top teams, but in the end nepotism and the Old Boys' Network seem to have survived.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I was very disappointed to read reports that Bruce Gordon had intervened in the CEO selection process for our CEO: I had expected that he and his family's entry into The Dragons management team would signal the start of a new era of professionalism that would put us on an equal footing with the top teams, but in the end nepotism and the Old Boys' Network seem to have survived.
Here’s a different point of view..

Perhaps WIN were insistent on a St George CEO to demonstrate impartiality & show fans that it wasn’t a “take over”..

merahputih

Juniors

Perhaps WIN were insistent on a St George CEO to demonstrate impartiality & show fans that it wasn’t a “take over”..
Maybe so, but it would have looked even more impartial if the outside recruitment process had been allowed to proceed to its conclusion and Johnston had put his hat in the ring and competed against a quality field instead of being parachuted into the job. Bad look.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Maybe so, but it would have looked even more impartial if the outside recruitment process had been allowed to proceed to its conclusion and Johnston had put his hat in the ring and competed against a quality field instead of being parachuted into the job. Bad look.
Yet let’s say someone like O’Connor was selected as the most suitable via the recruitment process, how would that have looked?

At the end of the day, the club has the say who they appoint - the recruitment process itself isn’t an external thing..

possm

Coach

Maybe however, I don't believe so. Johnston moved from Chairman of the Board to CEO mainly because deals were done and had to be honoured. The last thing Gordon and the old boy club would want is for the deals to be unveiled and promises not kept.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Maybe however, I don't believe so. Johnston moved from Chairman of the Board to CEO mainly because deals were done and had to be honoured. The last thing Gordon and the old boy club would want is for the deals to be unveiled and promises not kept.
What are these ‘deals’?

That’s a pretty specific accusation you have there..

possm

Coach
What are these ‘deals’?

That’s a pretty specific accusation you have there..
Mary coach, D Young assistant coach, Millward Director of everything, Johnston CEO, C Young Board Member, Doust CEO St George Leagues Club ……………………...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Mary coach, D Young assistant coach, Millward Director of everything, Johnston CEO, C Young Board Member, Doust CEO St George Leagues Club ……………………...
That’s names in boxes. In fact, outside of Johnston, those names were already in those boxes.

What are the “deals” that you talk about?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

Amazing how a persons' stance can change to whatever level is required when they are employed in a position. It's not as if he's going to forgo a regular paycheck to say anything other than 'Gordon speak'.

As you said, he too was one of my favourite players of his time but he cleary knows no better or is speaking on behalf of others. Shame.

Latest posts