What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney sticks with the Raiders

good kid.

good to see loyalty still plays a part in RL. that he gave up $100,000 a year is awesome

looks the like the media have made d*cks of themselves.

it wouldnt surprise me to see canberra make the top 4 in a few years

Philby

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
I really don't think he gave up that much.

If Manly offered him $2million over 4years and the Raiders only offered $1.6 mil over 4 years thats $100,000 per year he gave up???

t-ba

Post Whore
Philby said:
If Manly offered him $2million over 4years and the Raiders only offered $1.6 mil over 4 years thats $100,000 per year he gave up???

If that's what was actually offered.

Can't say I'm not dissapointed. However, considering that Canberra has stuck solid with him through his troubles, he was right to stay with him.

Oh well, a few more years of the choking gnome.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah it's hard to tell what was offered as the media "reported" alot of things during the saga. I find it hard to believe anyone offered 500K myself. I struggle to comprehend that he's getting 400K.

mxlegend99

Referee
There's no way he was offered $500k from any club IMO. Panthers stated they didn't boost their original offer, which was rumoured to be $400k. Which i still feel was too much for our club, as it would have inevitably led to the loss of some of our juniors.

I'd imagine Raiders offer was basically just matching the Penrith/Manly offers... and the perks of not having to move, getting to stay with mates etc. just sealed the deal. That, or he used the other clubs to bump his value up.

Lime_Green

Juniors
perverse said:
it's well after 1:30... what happened at the press conference? any reports?

It's been confirmed:

Canberra have won the battle to sign Todd Carney, retaining the talented halfback until at least the end of the 2010 NRL season.
Carney rejected lucrative offers from both Manly and Penrith to stick with the Raiders in a deal which could be extended for a further two years.
Carney has an option in his favour for the 2011-12 seasons, the clause offering him an out after the 2010 season as uncertainty continues over coach Neil Henry's future with the club.

Henry is contracted through to the end of 2009 but has been strongly linked with the Brisbane job which becomes vacant at the end of this season.
Carney says he rejected offers from other clubs because Canberra felt like home and he says he has a premiership and State of Origin jumper in his sights.

"At the end of the day my heart was here," Carney said.
"Money doesn't buy happiness and I feel I've got my happiness here."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/todd-carney-resigns-with-raiders/20080314-1zdz.html

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jatz Crackers said:
The real question is will raider69 be happy or sad or just faint with the release from finally hearing the news ?

2nd two mate
couldnt be happier :D
and VERY VERY glad its been done and dusted so we can focus on the season at hand now :D

Is he worth 400k right now? f**k no
Will he be before his contract expirese? IMO absolutely.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Carney to remain a Raider

carney_02.jpg-0e8a8fc7c8bb8152d01ee2c77bb5f3fe.jpg

14 Mar, 2008

Star Raiders halfback Todd Carney will remain in Canberra until at least 2010, after today agreeing to a new deal with the Green Machine.
The four year deal will see Carney in the nation's capital until the end of the 2010 season, with an option on the remaining two years of the contract.
Carney said although it had been a long process, he was more than happy to be remaining in Canberra, and looked forward to fulfilling his potential and repaying the faith the club had shown in him.
“I really want to stay in Canberra and the big thing for me is that I want to achieve something here, and I feel like I can achieve something here,” Carney said. “If I was to walk away I’d have felt like I’d left here with something unachieved, so the next four years will be driven by me wanting to do something for Canberra.”
Carney said his decision was never about chasing the biggest dollars, rather rewarding his team mates and the Canberra community by staying, and taking the Raiders forward into the future.
“Canberra’s home and I feel like we’ve got a great basis of players here and we can achieve something,” he said. “At the end of the day it wasn’t going to come down to money, if it was the deal could have been done a long time ago, I just want to stay here and try and win a comp with the players we have and I think we’ve got the team that can do it.
“At the end of the day my heart was here. Money doesn’t buy happiness and I feel I have my happiness here.”
Carney thanked everyone for their support during the tough re-signing period, and said the Canberra community had once again come through and proven how much they get behind their local teams.
“The community has been great, from my Facebook to my mobile phone to just people walking through the streets, I’ve had plenty of messages and I can’t thank them enough, and the best way I can do that is by signing here to day and that’s what I’ve done” he said. “Canberra’s always been a real community team and they’ve got behind the Raiders in this, so I guess it plays a part in signing because you know you’re wanted and you’re welcome.”
Raiders Coach Neil Henry said he was happy that Carney had re-signed before the beginning of the season, and the news was certainly a huge positive for the club and the people who support them.
“It’s great news for the club and we wanted it done before the first round, and its perfect timing leading into the first game of the year,” Henry said. “There’s no doubt that he’s decided to stay for less money than what was offered in Sydney and that’s a real positive for the organisation, the fans of the club and for the region.
On field Henry believes Carney is a player that the Raiders can build a team around, the type of player which can lead the Raiders to success in the years ahead.
“His potential is enormous in the game and he’s highly regarded as a player that can possibly play representative football, so he’s one of these marquee players that everyone needs,” he said. “The clubs that figure in the finals have good halves and he’s certainly up there with the best in the competition. He’s got a lot of developing left in his game and it certainly sends the message out there that this is a great place to play football.”
Raiders CEO Don Furner said he was confident the Raiders would be able to keep the young half in Canberra beyond the initial two year period in the new contract, and his signing had shown players want to stay with the Raiders.
“Initially it was a four year deal and it still is, but Todd has an option after two years, so we back ourselves to put a good team around him and be competitive and that he’ll stay for another two. So he’s contracted to 2010 with the option for 2011 and 2012,” Furner said. “My understanding is that we certainly didn’t win it on dollars and that we were well behind the other offers, but thankfully Todd has shown some loyalty here and has appreciated what has been done for him and he’s certainly stayed for less, so we’re pleased about that.”
The Raiders play there first game of the season tomorrow night against the Newcastle Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

http://www.raiders.com.au/2008/detail_desc.php?news_id=572
spacer.gif

Raider Azz

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
Carney to remain a Raider

carney_02.jpg-0e8a8fc7c8bb8152d01ee2c77bb5f3fe.jpg

14 Mar, 2008

Star Raiders halfback Todd Carney will remain in Canberra until at least 2010, after today agreeing to a new deal with the Green Machine.
The four year deal will see Carney in the nation's capital until the end of the 2010 season, with an option on the remaining two years of the contract.
Carney said although it had been a long process, he was more than happy to be remaining in Canberra, and looked forward to fulfilling his potential and repaying the faith the club had shown in him.
“I really want to stay in Canberra and the big thing for me is that I want to achieve something here, and I feel like I can achieve something here,” Carney said. “If I was to walk away I’d have felt like I’d left here with something unachieved, so the next four years will be driven by me wanting to do something for Canberra.”
Carney said his decision was never about chasing the biggest dollars, rather rewarding his team mates and the Canberra community by staying, and taking the Raiders forward into the future.
“Canberra’s home and I feel like we’ve got a great basis of players here and we can achieve something,” he said. “At the end of the day it wasn’t going to come down to money, if it was the deal could have been done a long time ago, I just want to stay here and try and win a comp with the players we have and I think we’ve got the team that can do it.
“At the end of the day my heart was here. Money doesn’t buy happiness and I feel I have my happiness here.”

Carney thanked everyone for their support during the tough re-signing period, and said the Canberra community had once again come through and proven how much they get behind their local teams.
“The community has been great, from my Facebook to my mobile phone to just people walking through the streets, I’ve had plenty of messages and I can’t thank them enough, and the best way I can do that is by signing here to day and that’s what I’ve done” he said. “Canberra’s always been a real community team and they’ve got behind the Raiders in this, so I guess it plays a part in signing because you know you’re wanted and you’re welcome.”
Raiders Coach Neil Henry said he was happy that Carney had re-signed before the beginning of the season, and the news was certainly a huge positive for the club and the people who support them.
“It’s great news for the club and we wanted it done before the first round, and its perfect timing leading into the first game of the year,” Henry said. “There’s no doubt that he’s decided to stay for less money than what was offered in Sydney and that’s a real positive for the organisation, the fans of the club and for the region.
On field Henry believes Carney is a player that the Raiders can build a team around, the type of player which can lead the Raiders to success in the years ahead.
“His potential is enormous in the game and he’s highly regarded as a player that can possibly play representative football, so he’s one of these marquee players that everyone needs,” he said. “The clubs that figure in the finals have good halves and he’s certainly up there with the best in the competition. He’s got a lot of developing left in his game and it certainly sends the message out there that this is a great place to play football.”
Raiders CEO Don Furner said he was confident the Raiders would be able to keep the young half in Canberra beyond the initial two year period in the new contract, and his signing had shown players want to stay with the Raiders.
“Initially it was a four year deal and it still is, but Todd has an option after two years, so we back ourselves to put a good team around him and be competitive and that he’ll stay for another two. So he’s contracted to 2010 with the option for 2011 and 2012,” Furner said. “My understanding is that we certainly didn’t win it on dollars and that we were well behind the other offers, but thankfully Todd has shown some loyalty here and has appreciated what has been done for him and he’s certainly stayed for less, so we’re pleased about that.”
The Raiders play there first game of the season tomorrow night against the Newcastle Knights at EnergyAustralia Stadium.

http://www.raiders.com.au/2008/detail_desc.php?news_id=572
spacer.gif
staying at the raiders for less money, good onya todd, appreciate the loyalty.

Raider Azz

Bench
mxlegend99 said:
There's no way he was offered $500k from any club IMO. Panthers stated they didn't boost their original offer, which was rumoured to be $400k. Which i still feel was too much for our club, as it would have inevitably led to the loss of some of our juniors.

I'd imagine Raiders offer was basically just matching the Penrith/Manly offers... and the perks of not having to move, getting to stay with mates etc. just sealed the deal. That, or he used the other clubs to bump his value up.
well the raiders offer was $400K, so penrith's has to have been more than that. and he still didn't take it! smelliot has been sniffing around for carney for a year now, it's quite satisfying to see him fail, even after offering him a ridiculous ammount of money

sydraider

First Grade
Raider Azz said:
well the raiders offer was $400K, so penrith's has to have been more than that. and he still didn't take it! smelliot has been sniffing around for carney for a year now, it's quite satisfying to see him fail, even after offering him a ridiculous ammount of money

What will be funnier is to see if smelliot even holds on to his job.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Carney rejects rich bids

March 15, 2008

IN the end, it boiled down to Todd Carney being too sad to leave.
The prodigious halfback rejected rich offers from Manly and Penrith to ink a $1.6million deal that will see him remain a Raider until the end of 2012.
Carney could have earned $200,000 more by joining Penrith, but his childhood desire to lead the Raiders "back to their heyday" prevailed.

"There were times when I thought I might have gone somewhere else. Mum started to get sad and I was the same," he said.

"I sat down with Mal (Meninga)and he asked me if I had achieved everything I wanted to at the club.
"That pretty much hit the nail on the head. I haven't really done anything.

"My dream has always been to make Canberra strong again and play in a grand final with the Raiders. I want to bring the Raiders back to their heyday."

After previously leaning toward a sea-change on Sydney's northern beaches, Carney decided to stay loyal during a three-day visit to his parents' house in Goulburn last week.

Carney's mother, Leanne, said her 22-year-old son appeared depressed at the prospect of leaving the region that not only raised him as a footballer, but as a young adult.

"I came home from work one day and just felt sad," Leanne said.

"I went into Todd's room and asked him how he felt. He told me he felt sad too.

"His heart was always with Canberra - they just needed to compete with the money.

"But money was not the be-all and end-all.

"He had such a bad season last year and he never achieved what he wanted to.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23378769-23214,00.html

Apey

Staff member
Read in the Newcastle Herald today the final offer was close to 1.8million for 4 years? Don't know if it speculation or what.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Todd's favour
Don Furner Jr said they had given him a 2 year option and back their ability to put a good team around him to be successful and achieve his goals. He is contracted for 2009 and 2010, with options for 2011 and 2012... Don Furner Jr was confident come the time for him to decide on his options he wouldnt dare think of leaving

BTW on the back of this news, i think TC is in for a MASSIVE year... State Of Origin calls... will Todd accept the charges?

Latest posts