What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Carney

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Thought I may as well start this discussion seeing as reports have surface that The Dragons are interested in him.
I know we're linked to everyone and it's all speculation, but what do people think, is he worth it?

Personally I think he's a huge gamble and at 30, he's at the back end of his career. Not to mention he's a piece of work.
But on the other side of this, there's not a lot of other options out there. Interesting one this.
Discuss.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
The biggest argument against Todd Carney is that he is a dickhead.

I actually played a few games against Toddy at junior level. Seen him out on the piss many times and had a few schooners with him. I can tell you this - in terms of being a dickhead he is no worse than any other NRL player out there. I've seen many players in far worse form but for whatever reason with the media some players have a target on their heads while others are protected species.

since77

Juniors

I actually played a few games against Toddy at junior level. Seen him out on the piss many times and had a few schooners with him. I can tell you this - in terms of being a dickhead he is no worse than any other NRL player out there. I've seen many players in far worse form but for whatever reason with the media some players have a target on their heads while others are protected species.

Problem is some dickheads never change despite all the second chances - Greg Bird comes to mind with his latest effort last week. Has Carney learnt his lesson yet?

Zucchini

Juniors

Agreed, the media and the public were waiting to pounce on anything and everything Todd did. I met him a couple of times and have to say, he came across as a really nice, polite bloke. But he wasn't on the piss when I met him.

If he's fit, I want him at the Dragons. I don't care that he's 30. If he's fit and committed we could get a good minimum two years. He is a natural play maker. Something we desperately need. Get out the Parker pen out, Ian.

Last edited:

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Agreed, the media and the public were waiting to pounce on anything and everything Todd did. I met him a couple of times and have to say, he came across as a really nice, polite bloke. But he wan't on the piss when I met him.

If he's fit, I want him at the Dragons. I don't care that he's 30. If he's fit and committed we could get a good minimum two years. He is a natural play maker. Something we desperately need. Get out the Parker pen out, Ian.

Well said.
He is a natural play maker and he has a lot of creativity. He's the best option out there at the moment by a country mile if we're talking calibre of player.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
A lot of Carney's black marks come under the heading: "young bloke makes goose of himself after drinking too much". I wouldn't rule him out on that basis. My bigger concern relates to his age, and I personally would rather see the club give Hutch a real go. Does anyone know what his current form is like?

BrissyRedV

Bench
The issue is he isn't fit. Limited to 26 games in 2 years in France suggest he would not be up to the rigors of nrl consistently again especially now he is the other side of 30.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Has Carney learnt his lesson yet?

Did Lockyer or Thurston? Both have some excellent form on the piss, you just don't tend to read about it in the newspaper as much. Thurston even spent a night in the watchhouse but we're all quick to forget.

SBD82

Coach
He's a tough one.

Has such a bad reputation but such a natural footballer. So talented. Would put a bit of spark into our very dour football team.

Injuries are a factor, but if he passed medicals he'd at least be worth considering.

He and Thommo would have played together before I think. Would be very curious what Thommo or duges think of him.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If you go Carney you are much better off sticking with Benji. Both injury prone but Benji steps up for the big games. Carney in the GF against Saints in 2010 went missing. Benji on the other hand when he played a GF well, let's just say he played a huge role.

If Saints are not sticking with Benji which they are not then they are crazy to go for some other player 30+. They should go for a junior and roll the dice for 2017 or better still look at other halves in England that may be able to step in. The talent in England coming accross is pretty good lately.

Gareth67

First Grade
Everything that has been said is on the money , both good and bad points - still IF the NRL were to even consider allowing him to come to the Dragons , he would need to understand , in no uncertain terms , that this would be his last chance playing in the NRL .

Personally I would like to see him at the Club , as I believe that he still has what it takes to wins games , and that is , he knows how to keep the opposition 2nd guessing itself .

He may be able to pass his experience on to the younger guys . Sign him on a 1 year contract , with an option for another in the Clubs favour , but also on the condition of ,
1 bad incident and your out . Should that ever occur , he would finally understand that he has played his last game in the NRL , as no other Club would touch him .

Did Lockyer or Thurston? Both have some excellent form on the piss, you just don't tend to read about it in the newspaper as much. Thurston even spent a night in the watchhouse but we're all quick to forget.
My understanding is also ... I'm going to be really diplomatic here ... that a player whose name may or may not have been mentioned somewhere at least near to this post may or may not have been involved in an incident at Coffs Harbour some years back that was exponentially worse than an idiot pissing in his own mouth or setting his mate's arse on fire.

Exponentially worse.

Point made concerning his lack of game time over the past 2 years makes him a no go zone in my view

Benji's injury problems and lack of fitness de-stabilised the side this season.

If the club does consider him it will be necessary for him to undergo sprint trials as well as a basic medical assessment.

We can't afford a creative half without speed and agility.

Hutch is an organiser with a kicking game and good passing skills. Can see Hutch ending up in the forwards before too long.The 2 are very different.

Sigurd

Juniors

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What would be his asking price? If higher than say 300k then the Saints are stupid.

Offer Benji 300k with CLeary or someone else as coach and the side will kill it.Knowing our luck in the halves, Widdop will get injured and Hutch will end up in the deep end with an un-tried 5/8.

Would love to have seen Benji and Hutch in the halves but Widdop never seemed to get injured in 2016.....

SaintHarry

Juniors
The issue is he isn't fit. Limited to 26 games in 2 years in France suggest he would not be up to the rigors of nrl consistently again especially now he is the other side of 30.

Lets be honest he didnt want to play for the most part being forced to leave i think on return he has a point to prove he would have that thirst to play again

BrissyRedV

Bench
Lets be honest he didnt want to play for the most part being forced to leave i think on return he has a point to prove he would have that thirst to play again
Perhaps. A risk nonetheless and would be after a multi year deal which may limit us for 2018. Let's face it, at this stage 2017 is going to be building year if we get a new coach or a year treading water waiting out Mary's contract. Why not save the cash, see if Hutch or Mann can take the HB position for themselves, and if not chase some of the talent available in 18?

Biggest flaw, in regards to footy, is that he has very dodgy hamstrings.
Honestly, when he played for Cronulla he was great but the other stuff just takes its toll after a while.
Bit of a plus, if you play at Kogarah you can party on at his apartment in Sans Souci!
Good luck.