What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has got to go!

Are you happy with Greenberg's performance as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Part of the problem moving forward - particularly relating to on-field behaviour, is consistency in application.

Obviously each case is different on its own merits but it can be galling for fans to see one player punished heavily for something seemingly innocuous, while others who do more serious things are perceived to escape serious punishment.

mave

Coach
Part of the problem moving forward - particularly relating to on-field behaviour, is consistency in application.

Obviously each case is different on its own merits but it can be galling for fans to see one player punished heavily for something seemingly innocuous, while others who do more serious things are perceived to escape serious punishment.

There is never, ever going to be any consistency.

The history of the NRL, and its multitude of different CEO's handing down random punishments is proof enough of that.

I mean, they can barely get consistency on anything from refereeing to judicial matters as it stands now.

Timmah

Staff member
There is never, ever going to be any consistency.

The history of the NRL, and its multitude of different CEO's handing down random punishments is proof enough of that.

I mean, they can barely get consistency on anything from refereeing to judicial matters as it stands now.
I don't that pure consistency is the go - there are always circumstances to take into account, as I said each matter on its merits. But they do have a long way to go understanding scale and general public perception of crime v punishment, absolutely.

Timmah

Staff member
That's over $13k a head, and still the message isn't getting through.
Not sure where the figure's coming from - in early 2016 a report was in the media that the NRL spends a touch over 6mil on Player Education and Welfare, which covers a bit more than just "dont assault people" - and the figure includes salaries of staff (Vagana, Widders, Ryan) and judging by the articles I've looked at just in a brief google search, includes genuine education - i.e. career development (setting players up for post-footy life); stuff around depression and mental health; and often spreads out to include players partners, immediate family and club staff too.

Fairly sure it extends beyond just the top 30 nrl playing group too, particularly with NYC/U20 squads.

Timmah

Staff member
The figure comes from Greenburg's mouth.
Where? If he said it, it would be written down somewhere and reported. Back your assertions (and while you're at it, attempt to spell his name right too).
Decent leadership should fix this.
As @mave pointed out earlier, I don't think any leader has covered themselves in glory when it comes to consistency in application of punishments.

If you can find a "Decent leader" who will, more power to you.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure where the figure's coming from - in early 2016 a report was in the media that the NRL spends a touch over 6mil on Player Education and Welfare, which covers a bit more than just "dont assault people" - and the figure includes salaries of staff (Vagana, Widders, Ryan) and judging by the articles I've looked at just in a brief google search, includes genuine education - i.e. career development (setting players up for post-footy life); stuff around depression and mental health; and often spreads out to include players partners, immediate family and club staff too.

Fairly sure it extends beyond just the top 30 nrl playing group too, particularly with NYC/U20 squads.

The total spent on community and player welfare in 2017 was $16.3million so $7million on behaviour education isn’t unbelievable.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Decent leadership should fix this.

Part of the issue is nrl’s strange paradigm that it owes these players support and a second chance when they totally screw the game over. They make their choices, f**k them if they screw the golden gift they’ve been given, the nrl owes them nothing and shouldn’t feel like it’s their parents.

Timmah

Staff member
The total spent on community and player welfare in 2017 was $16.3million so $7million on behaviour education isn’t unbelievable.
At no point did I case doubt on the overall figure, I was critiquing the 'per head' figure put forward as overly simplistic.

Spot On

Coach
Timmah

Instead of asking others if they 'can read', take some of your own advice, go back a few posts and read the name of the article and journo that I referred to.

From there, use your intellect (Yes, you may struggle), key board and Google to locate what you are doubting Greenburgler has said.

FFS, you're a flog.

firechild

First Grade
While the CEO is handing out reference letters to criminals and threatening to ban players that have done nothing illegal, he has zero credibility. Greenberg is so detached from reality and the fans that nothing he says can be taken seriously. I didn't think we could get any worse than Dopey Gallop but the NRL continues to deliver.

Spot On

Coach
But, but, but ... according to some there's not a human on earth capable of taking control and LEADING this sport better than Greenburger.

It's not just an NRL problem it's a societal problem. Bwaaaahhhhh.

RL sure is good at making excuses for everyone, not acting and blaming someone else for not being able to take control and lead.

AJB1102

First Grade
The "Todd getting tough" stories are getting like the old "Carl Webb training the house down" and "Sharks are getting relocated".

Spot On

Coach
Can't argue with that. Greenburger said as much himself. If he doesn't carry through with what he has now screamed out to the world, then he is no better than the players he had to cut his holiday a week short for.