What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg stands down

super_coach

First Grade
Happy days...the leach is gone. Now let’s hope they find a leader who will treat all clubs on a equal footing and stands up to the power brokers who had Toddy in their back pocket.
Also I hope the broom sweeps plenty more of the old guard out the door

Exsilium

First Grade
We all saw this coming. What else we can also predict is an poor replacement .

It’ll be a “worldwide” search amongst the old boys club down at Moore Park.

Reactions: Vee

dogslife

Coach
You know you want to

Raelene_Castle_%28cropped%29.jpg

I've already said that I'm not a Greenburg fan but here is the reality:
  • He has overseen the largest increase in revenue in the history of the NRL
  • He has overseen investment in Touch Football, school programs, and more development officers for the local level.
  • He oversaw the increased focus on membership and fan participation.
  • He has overseen the game improve revenue by taking SOO to potential expansion cities - creating what will be an increasing revenue for the NRL.
  • Implementation of a single review point (the Bunker) which brings it in line with most major sports.
  • He has overseen a large investment in digital media which will improve the NRLs capacity to produce content.

He definitely has a number of flaws and issues, but it would be ridiculous to suggest he was a failure of a CEO.

I agree.

In my opinion he was by far the best CEO of the NRL Era. Mightn’t be strong competition but he was light years better than the others.

He’s also had to deal with 3 of the biggest issues the NRL has ever faced in..

1 - CTE
2 - 2018 Off Season
3 - Fierce competition from stay-at-home entertainment platforms such as Netflix (which he stated was the biggest competition to his sport).

Apart from Covid there’s nothing else that has come even close to severely damage the game like the 3 things above. Possibly mortally. But it’s been navigated on his watch. And I think he’s done well on them, as best can be expected.

I’ve not agreed with all he’s done but he’s made decisions with conviction and stood by them. And if something hasn’t worked out he has changed his mind with benefit of review. That’s what good leaders do. A lot of people will keep howling about mistakes they perceive..and form campaigns to suit there agendas. (Paul Kent anyone?? ).

I truly hope he’s gone out on his own decision. But clearly the mob have lit there torches long ago, led by Rupert (the self-proclaimed AFL fan) and News Ltd. Whatever the case is, I wish him all the best.

As for the mob, who do they want in charge?

Well it’s the same answer as usual..

Someone Else!
Someone Else!
Someone Else!

carcharias

Immortal
Ch 10 reporting the NRL we’re spending $500k per day.
The game would be flat broke in 3 months.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Happy days...the leach is gone. Now let’s hope they find a leader who will treat all clubs on a equal footing and stands up to the power brokers who had Toddy in their back pocket.
Also I hope the broom sweeps plenty more of the old guard out the door
You are better off hoping for world peace and a cure for cancer. Much more realistic than a CEO not beholden to whichever power brokers currently hold the power.

That would result in expenditure of 182 billion in a year. What utter fantasy from Ch 10

$182 Million yeah - just did my sums.. Maffs aint my strongest suit.

Even so - that's ridiculously high and hard to believe. Across the Entire NRL and its clubs perhaps. But someone will know better than me.

Cactus

Juniors
I truly hope he’s gone out on his own decision. But clearly the mob have lit there torches long ago, led by Rupert (the self-proclaimed AFL fan) and News Ltd. Whatever the case is, I wish him all the best.

It would be a good thing if it was his decision but there is a fair bit to suggest it was News or 9 or PVL or a combo that drove him out.

Pretty hard to argue with when you consider the media storm directed at the CEO lately. And a lot of it aimed personally & squarely at him. The trouble I have is that is the same way Smith went out and now the game has a history of the media stakeholders forcing out multiple execs right at the very time broadcast rights are about to be negotiated.

Its no coincidence at the first whiff of discussions are needed with 9 & Fox the media sh!t storm appears.