What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tom burgess

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
serious question - what impact would the government's proposed changes to the 457 visa do for the situation of the burgess clan? (and UK players in general)

for those not in the know, the government is looking to change the 457 visa (a visa where the employer sponsors the overseas resident to stay in the country whilst they are employed by them) where there cannot be a visa offered if there is an australian who can do the job..

as i said, serious question cause at the end of the day these boys would be on a 457 to be able to earn money here...

Big Sam

First Grade
Given the dominance of Sam and George, I think they've proven there are no locals capable of leading the South Sydney forward pack.

457 visas apply to skilled foreigners right Muz? Then I guess you guys won't have any future problems with Widdop.

Medowie Bunny

Juniors
serious question - what impact would the government's proposed changes to the 457 visa do for the situation of the burgess clan? (and UK players in general)

for those not in the know, the government is looking to change the 457 visa (a visa where the employer sponsors the overseas resident to stay in the country whilst they are employed by them) where there cannot be a visa offered if there is an australian who can do the job..

as i said, serious question cause at the end of the day these boys would be on a 457 to be able to earn money here...

Had a bit of a look around and found they have Sports Visa's (Subclass 421) under Temporary Work and Special Entry on the Immigration site.

Maybe they are on these.

As I am only new to the forum it doesn't allow me to post links yet :cool: but they can be found on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship site.

cheers

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Had a bit of a look around and found they have Sports Visa's (Subclass 421) under Temporary Work and Special Entry on the Immigration site.

Maybe they are on these.

As I am only new to the forum it doesn't allow me to post links yet :cool: but they can be found on the Department of Immigration and Citizenship site.

cheers

Ah nice one.. thanks for finding that.. didn't know there was a sport specific one..

Good to see the govt looking after sport in this county by providing those..

the dude

Juniors
Tom came here a year after George from memory..

George played 3? games in the NRL last year so my guess is Tom might get a run later in the year if he is up for it.

Bullseye

Juniors
Of the twins George was rated as better than Tom when we had them both at Bradford but they both had the same strengths and flaws in their games. George never got a shot in the first team choosing to go to Souths early in his career. Tom did a couple of seasons with us and did improve over here but was still very raw.

I expected the Souths coaching team to work on Tom's problem areas, those being his loose carry and his agility and footwork in attack and defence. The big plus in his game is the sheer amount of ground he makes per carry. Like George he is a real handful for the defence.

Neither of the twins has Sam's skills, he's a one off.