What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tom has made his choice

baddog

Juniors
Former Balmain fullback Stephen Humphreys has been appointed the new chief executive of the Wests Tigers NRL club on Friday.

Humphreys, the son of former rugby league administrator Kevin Humphreys, will take over as boss of the merger club more than two decades after he played 40 first grade games for Balmain between 1983-87.

Humphreys joins the club with a wealth of business, management and leadership experience that includes senior management roles at Qantas and British Airways.

He said he was well aware of the challenges that face professional sports in the current financial environment.

"Wests Tigers is very well placed to deal with those challenges," said Humphreys.

"The organisation has an extremely strong brand and enjoys great corporate and fan support that spreads across a wide market place."

Humphreys will take up his new role in mid-July after completing his current employment commitments in New Zealand.

source yahoo

kpi 1: tom shines is the boss and is never wrong so must not be questioned or asked to comply with kpis
kpi 2: after any loss refer to kpi 1

happy with that stevo?

macnaz

Staff member
Not that it matters but i cant ever remember him playing for Balmain. Hope his CEO appointment isnt as forgetfull.

super_coach

First Grade
Giving my age away now, but remember him well, a try hard with little skill or should I say safe without being special.Off the field is where he has been strong and thats where we need his expertise.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
I'm getting mixed up with him and Scott Pethybridge.

Who was the one who filled in for Gary bumbjack when he was on tour of duty....he had the massive sidestep or goosestep...

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Michael Moss...gee, that's one from the history books...he was a fill-in hooker I think....Gary Bridge was the blonde 5/8...regular 1st grader.....him and Scotty Gale at 7....very good combo.

nyx

Juniors
Well I hope Humphreys actually gets a contract.

He'll be just another lame duck if they don't give him one as it's much easier to punt someone if you don't have to pay them out

Michael Moss...gee, that's one from the history books...he was a fill-in hooker I think....Gary Bridge was the blonde 5/8...regular 1st grader.....him and Scotty Gale at 7....very good combo.

Michael Moss was definitely a fullback, blonde haired youngster, Michael BROWN was the fill in hooker.

Ahhhh the old glory days.

Martinplace

Juniors
SH first meeting with TS. "So Tim, when do you think we can see the team back on the winners list"?

TS to SH. "You've done nothing but complain & undermine my teams confidence, since you got hear, I want you gone"

Bye Bye Stephen.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

Who was the one who filled in for Gary bumbjack when he was on tour of duty....he had the massive sidestep or goosestep...
I find it amusing that you make fun of Garry Jack, considering he was one of the best fullbacks in the history of the game.

Actually I'd go as far to say that possibly only one fullback from the Western Suburbs entire history was close to Jack.

Thats not bias talking, but common sense.

macnaz

Staff member
WHAT! you cant remember him playing, whatever your drinking ..STOP!
Well there isnt many i dont remember so im suprised myself ive forgoten him. was he somewhere in between Allan Macmahon and Jimmy Jack ?
Ps.. Some i do remember. Mike Fish, Merv Muggleton,Wayne Wigan, Dennis Bendal, Steve Knight, Les Mara to name but a few , but sorry Humpheys isnt coming back to me'lol . But he has a great background and as Ceo im sure he will do a great job.

Last edited:

gallagher

Juniors

Scott played in the late 90's, I'd say you are thinking of Rod Pethybridge, went to the pies.

Bench
I find it amusing that you make fun of Garry Jack, considering he was one of the best fullbacks in the history of the game.

Actually I'd go as far to say that possibly only one fullback from the Western Suburbs entire history was close to Jack.

Thats not bias talking, but common sense.
Jack went from Wests to Balmain,Parish and Dorahy were no slouches either.

jasonl

Juniors
Jack went from Wests to Balmain,Parish and Dorahy were no slouches either.

Joe Cool.

He apparently worked as a butcher full time in the western suburbs at the time.

Got shown a video of him spear tackling Graeme Eadie at the height of Eadie's pomp.

Probably weighed around 80.

But then, if you play behind Captain Blood and Dallas, with correct motivation many things are possible.

Dorahy was a rare gift to the game. Smarter than Shearer and more fluid than Renouf.

Agree with the comments on Jack. Super defender and genuine international.

Jase

super_coach

First Grade
One on one online defense Jack was twice as good as anything we have in our team today, also he was pretty handy at the kick returns.

alien

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/spor...5006066,00.html

INCOMING Wests Tigers chief executive Stephen Humphreys has made his first significant move, guaranteeing coach Tim Sheens will see out his contract.

Humphreys, who attended his first Balmain game wrapped in a black and gold scarf when only a week old, was born to be a Tiger.

The son of former NSWRL chairman Kevin Humphreys, the new Wests Tigers boss was a sandboy and ballboy at Leichhardt Oval and still remembers being driven to Balmain Leagues Club with the JJ Giltinan Shield after the 1969 grand final when he was only nine.

"I remember being in the back of Dad's station wagon with the parish priest when we won the comp in 1969 and I had a hand on the JJ Giltinan Shield on the way back to Balmain Leagues Club,'' Humphreys said.

"That's a memory that lasts. I didn't make it into the club, I had a pink lemonade in the car outside, but that's one memory that's pretty vivid.''

Humprhey's told his father of his new appointment last Thursday. As he recovers in a Drummoyne nursing home after having a third stroke recently, proud Kevin wished his son the best of luck.

"In one breath he said that's great. And then in the next he told me to do a great job,'' Humphreys said. "He's been recovering quite well from three fairly severe strokes. They've left him requiring quite a lot of care."

"He's doing as well as we can expect. I see him every week and talk to him a couple of times a week. He remains very interested in football generally and the Tigers particularly.''

Humphreys' deal to join the Tigers was sealed at Beppi's restaurant in East Sydney eight nights ago, when former hooker Benny Elias dined with advertising mogul John Singleton and former Qantas supremo Geoff Dixon. (Elias remains a major powerbroker at the club despite no longer being on the board of directors.)

Asked if Sheens would see out his contract, which runs until the end of next season, Humphreys said: "I would expect that to happen. I see no reason why that wouldn't happen.''

Sheens has been under pressure in the wake of the Tigers' five-game losing streak. "I have seen a bit of that and I guess that's not surprising given how much passion everybody has for the game,'' Humphreys said.

"No Tigers fan would be happy. But I've already spoken to Tim and I know how hard he and the team are working. I remain confident that given the talent and commitment in the place, that will translate to some success on the field very soon.''

After relocating from his current post with a New Zealand travel company, Humphreys will take up his new position at the Tigers' Concord headquarters next month.

baddog

Juniors
Asked if Sheens would see out his contract, which runs until the end of next season, Humphreys said: "I would expect that to happen. I see no reason why that wouldn't happen.

trans: tim told me he wasn't going anywhere and i ain't dumb like that longmuir fella

No Tigers fan would be happy. But I've already spoken to Tim and I know how hard he and the team are working. I remain confident that given the talent and commitment in the place, that will translate to some success on the field very soon.

trans: tim has given me very clear instructions. the bit where he said on field matters and such things as winning and losing games are none of my business so butt out was very clear indeed.

this wasn't a unanimous selection at board level

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Humphreys joins the club with a wealth of business, management and leadership experience that includes senior management roles at Qantas and British Airways
Seems a good candidate to me, actually has managed in corporate world and loves the tigers.

I can't see a problem.

Reek_Havoc

Juniors
Gallagher - Yes, that was him, Rod Pethybridge...not Scott...he was a good player too.

Mad-Unit- Not making fun of Jimmy Jack. He was the best fullback in his era. Just having a laugh.

Bubbles Unlimited - Yes..Michael Brown was the hooker not Michael Moss...he went okay too just quietly.

Latest posts