What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks rejects

deluded pom?

Coach
Most AmNRL players are not interested in the sporting body, just the game. Same with most USARL players. I happen to be far more impressed by what I have seen of the USARL, but let us not detract from the effort of any players.

I am in no way trying to belittle any player that makes the Tomahawks team or plays RL in the USA. I'm just trying to highlight the fact that there are players running around in a Tomahawks shirt that might not have had that chance had it been an open selection policy.

deluded pom?

Coach
Pom can you let me know when the public selection meeting is for the English world cup team is so I can head along and have my say. I am in Sydney tomorrow for the GF might pop into League Central and sit in on the ARLC board meeting as well.

It's not just the selection of the Tomahawks that is made behind closed doors though as the reason behind the split in the first place was the lack of transparency shown by the AMNRL (David Niu and his friends).

Fatwing15

Juniors
I did the bashing in a flippant response to FP's original rant. FP hit the nail on the head in his second post on this thread when he confirmed that decisions regarding the AMNRL and the Tomahawks are made behind closed doors.

"there is a lot more to the story then the heresay that circulates on this board but only the blokes behind those close doors know and understand".

Sorry you took the hump FP but you did ask for it.

Fatwing, I didn't bother to check the clubs represented in the USA v Canada game last week but there were only three teams that had players selected for game 1. Are you trying to tell me that all the talent in the AMNRL is focussed on those three teams and a couple of guys in Hawaii who play two or three games of RL a year tops? If it is then that's a poor show. If it's not then it's politics. Which is it?

Clearly, I do not think the talent is concentrated in those 3 teams, I've posted numerous times that I think there are players on the Raiders and Sharks that are good enough (and in the USARL). However, I would never take anything away from the guys who were selected, regardless of the flawed selection process. I played against most of them, most of the guys in the USARL played against them and I doubt anyone would single out a current Tomahawk and say they are not good enough. They are representing the U.S. and I'll root for them 100% of the time.
I would love to see a Tomahawk vs USARL Select side too.

Any one know if Mayo, the prop from the Bulls played against Canada? He was a tough guy to bring down.

Steve Davy

Juniors
I am in no way trying to belittle any player that makes the Tomahawks team or plays RL in the USA. I'm just trying to highlight the fact that there are players running around in a Tomahawks shirt that might not have had that chance had it been an open selection policy.

Indeed, I did not think you meant it in that way. However, it could be taken that way. Getting into the Tomahawks is a great achievement, however, it would be great to see what a full USA team could achieve.

deluded pom?

Coach
Clearly, I do not think the talent is concentrated in those 3 teams, I've posted numerous times that I think there are players on the Raiders and Sharks that are good enough (and in the USARL). However, I would never take anything away from the guys who were selected, regardless of the flawed selection process. I played against most of them, most of the guys in the USARL played against them and I doubt anyone would single out a current Tomahawk and say they are not good enough. They are representing the U.S. and I'll root for them 100% of the time.
I would love to see a Tomahawk vs USARL Select side too.

Any one know if Mayo, the prop from the Bulls played against Canada? He was a tough guy to bring down.

How do you explain the policy of selecting players with little or no RL experience being handed a Tomahawks shirt in front of players who bust a gut all season only to be passed over for these guys?

T Boone Pickens

Juniors
The sport will never see any significant growth until the leagues merge. Politics or not, someone needs to make a move immediately.

Fatwing15

Juniors
There are a couple points I'd like to touch on before this thread completely turns into another pointless series of posts that bash the AMNRL and Tomahawks.

I don't think many players sat down and decided that they didn't want to be eligible for the national team, I think the team they played for made the decision to leave the league, and they went along. If i was an elite player at that time, I probably wouldn't even of believed that I would actually be giving up my Tomahawk eligibility by staying loyal to my team. Most league players in this country have a very strong loyalty to their team, and weren't part of the decision making process.

On the other hand the elite players from the teams that decided to remain in the AMNRL most likely didn't have much of an impact on that decision either. You can consider those guys the benefactor of good fortune I guess.

Deluded Pom, I am not sure if you actually wanted me to explain there selection i can't lol) or if your post was directed at me or just rhetorical. I can't speak to the HI players eligibility or qualifications. I don't play there so I have never played against the players that were selected and I have no idea how much experience they have. I did play against one HI player that played for the Wildcats at War at the Shore. He was a really good player, not sure how many games he played this summer, but that kid could play.

Steve Davy, your posts have been spot on. Like you, I am trying to give you guys the POV of someone who is on the ground over here. I'd love for other players to post about this issue.

This is the perfect time for the leagues to come together. There are about 10 strong teams, and hopefully that would allow the Tomahawks to hold real try outs with everyone eligible. Which should have been going on from the beginning.

Jeeze, another long winded post with little substance lol

Bronco Rob

Juniors
The sport will never see any significant growth until the leagues merge. Politics or not, someone needs to make a move immediately.

That's the frustration that many of us have that are not affiliated with either camp. We can see that a merge would help the game significantly in the US but unfortunately it seem that certain individuals ego's are put before the betterment of the game itself.

How good would it be if there were a strong 1st division with a 2nd division for the lesser sides. The national side would in such a better shape to have 6-8 good quality sides play each other week in, week out rather than the mixed results we are seeing currently.

pennpool

Juniors
The selection process is very much a politics based process. Jobs for the boys, if you will. If anyone thinks anything else then I'm sorry but your deluded.
That's not to say that the players can't play but there are better players playing in the AMNRL, never mind the USARL, that are being over looked for what ever reason.

Out of the 17 players that played in game two, 2 of them where not even named in the provisional squad that was announced the week leading up to the return match in CT. Zachary Padgett was in the provisional squad, Kevin wiggins was not. Zachary Padgett didn't play in CT, Kevin wiggins did.

Fatwing15

Juniors
The selection process is very much a politics based process. Jobs for the boys, if you will. If anyone thinks anything else then I'm sorry but your deluded.
That's not to say that the players can't play but there are better players playing in the AMNRL, never mind the USARL, that are being over looked for what ever reason.

Out of the 17 players that played in game two, 2 of them where not even named in the provisional squad that was announced the week leading up to the return match in CT. Zachary Padgett was in the provisional squad, Kevin wiggins was not. Zachary Padgett didn't play in CT, Kevin wiggins did.

If there is no tryout or formal process, that leaves reputation and politics lol. Wiggins and Damien are both very good players. Did Damien play this year?

It kinda of seems to me like there are a core group of guys that are consistently making up the base of the Tomahawks, and as the game approaches, such as this one against Canada, the selectors start calling the AMNRL players that they know or have good relationships with and try to fill out the roster with players who are available. There are enough good players in the league so the Tomahawks rarely get exposed for a lack of depth.

I may be way off base as I am forming these conclusions without any really facts or first hand info. Maybe some of the Tomahawks, current and former, can give us some insight? Choo Choo? Islandlion? Spinner? Figher? Fingel_PharoaH?

pennpool

Juniors
I know for a fact that most, if not all the players selected, have received that call going into those old 'player camps'

pennpool

Juniors
If there is no tryout or formal process, that leaves reputation and politics lol. Wiggins and Damien are both very good players. Did Damien play this year?

It kinda of seems to me like there are a core group of guys that are consistently making up the base of the Tomahawks, and as the game approaches, such as this one against Canada, the selectors start calling the AMNRL players that they know or have good relationships with and try to fill out the roster with players who are available. There are enough good players in the league so the Tomahawks rarely get exposed for a lack of depth.

I may be way off base as I am forming these conclusions without any really facts or first hand info. Maybe some of the Tomahawks, current and former, can give us some insight? Choo Choo? Islandlion? Spinner? Figher? Fingel_PharoaH?

Why announce a provisional squad and then pull in players that were not originally in it.

Latest posts