What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomorrow is so important because....

yy_cheng

Coach
I thought Morris linked really well with Timmy and the outside players.

As for Widders, I was a bit harsh but I just thought that he was standing wide too often. I don't recall him doing a hitup in the middle during the whole of the 1st half. I just feel that he should roll his sleeves up as he was playing as a starting backrower and that basically we were running with only 2 backrowers.

He was better in the 2nd half though.

The best thing about chalky is that he runs straight and hard and he has decent speed and acceleration.

I also noticed that Delaney was running 1 off the ruck when coming out of our own half instead of his usual NO ADDED VALUE runs from dummy half.

Widders hit it up one off the ruck plenty of times. Result: nothing. I was telling Dusty all game to get him the hell out of there, send him to our right, and play to him after sending two or three rucks down the left at the beginning of the set.

Wizz put that grubber through for Chalky in the first and put the shimmy on for Cringer's try at the end. Out wide Wizz is class - he should only come in the middle to hit the gap behind the ruck when the opposition forwards get tired. We don't have the oomph to make opposition forwards tire these days, so he should avoid the ruck at all costs.

number8

Juniors
Twizzle said:
same our forwards couldn't tackle tho

It was more a combination of disorganised or ineffective ruck defence & the right offensive plays to exploit that deficiency than an issue of could or couldn't tackle.

Our markers were shooting out following the ball & into the "A" defenders line & opening up huge holes in our line behind the ruck. That was the problem. I'm assuming you were refering to the weak middle? Our line speed was good but the ruck wasn't being secured & that's where we opened up.

Against a Melbourne type team whose go is to run unders & inside balls back in behind the ruck the markers & "A" defenders have to initiate the short line & cover the space & man as opposed to the ball. The balance of the defencive line should then move up to meet that initial formation.

The marker has to hold his ground & the "A" defenders have to set the short line & the pace for the whole teams "D" line. The Marker has to trust his "A" defenders. You can't just shoot out. Under the same principles as a centre or winger pushing up too far, too fast leaving wholes in the backline, you just can't do it. Yeah, sometimes they come up with a bone cruncher or a intercept but when they don't it is very hard to recover from.

Latest posts