What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga RLWC train on squad

shiznit

Coach
Apparently one if the Kiwis bolters is Sam Moa... A shit decision for Tonga.

I really feel for them as they stuck pretty strong with him when no one else were keen on him..

Now he comes good in the NRL and Tonga don't get to reap the rewards... Horse shit if you ask me.

The really sad part of this is the kiwis don't even need him... They will likely drop Mckendry for him...

A joke IMO...

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Looks like Sammy has gone with the Kiwis shiz. Horse shit indeed, must kill Charlie not to have one of his fave players running out for our country.

Btw Tongan squad has been named on their Facebook page already.

Evil Homer

Staff member
MATE MA’A TONGA 24 MAN SQUAD FOR 2013 RLWC:

NRL
Captain: Brent Kite, Manly Sea Eagles

Cronulla Sharks: Sosaia Feki, Nesiasi Mataitonga, Pat Politoni
Manly Sea Eagles: Brent Kite (C), Jorge Taufua
Melbourne Storm: Mahe Fonua, Siosaia Vave
Newcastle Knights: Siuatonga Likiliki
North Queensland Cowboys: Jason Taumalolo
Parramatta Eels: Fuifui Moimoi, Peni Terepo,
Penrith Panthers: Sika Manu, Daniel Foster,
Sydney Roosters: Samisoni Langi, Nafe Seluini, Daniel Tupou
NZ Warriors: Glen Fisi’iahi, Siliva Havili, Konrad Hurrell,
Wests Tigers: Ben Murdoch-Masila

SUPER LEAGUE UK
Huddersfield giants: Ukuma Ta’ai
Hull Kingston Rovers: Mickey Paea
St. Helens: Willie Manu

TNRL LOCAL COMP
Liahona Old Boys: Sydney Havea

Yip the moa switch is perplexing although on the flip side with the rules the way they are they have to take the good with the bad. If they're willing to select kiwi born and bred players who switch to tonga then they have to accept a kiwi born and bred player like moa switching to the kiwis.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Yeah, hard to feel too sorry for them when almost the whole squad is Kiwis and Aussies. STRONG squad too.

Brent Kite said on the Sunday Footy Show he asked Moa if he was still going to put his hand up for Tonga cos he heard the Kiwis wanted him. Apparently Moa said yes.

He's from NZ and has made the right choice. They got Hurrell like everyone in here was whinging about in the past year.

Anyone else remember when Moa was on that Ngati NRL (following young kiwis trying to make the NRL) show with Rangi Chase?

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
They are going to have some power out wide with Taufua, Tupou, Hurrell and Likiliki. Monster pack but lacks some flair and the halves, as usual, will be the big weakness

If they can gel early on they are a big chance to push into the finals

Springs

First Grade
A strong squad even without Moa, sad to see Mateo will be on the sidelines this year.

1. Fisiiahi
2. Tupou
3. Fonua/Likiliki
4. Hurrell
5. Taufua
6. Langi
7. Foster
8. Kite
9. Seluini
10. Moi Moi
11. S. Manu
12. W. Manu
13. Taumololo

14. Havili
15. Paea
16. Ta'ai
17. Murdoch-Masila

hitman51

Juniors
Jorge Taufua must be an error hell be in the Samoan squad. I've heard from some that hes not even tongan he was raised by a tonga step dad an may some how want to pay tribute to him by playing for them but thats got to be a joke. Im sure hell be in the Samoan squad when they name the team.

It just seems somewhat perplexing that Moa played for Tonga against Samoa in what May/June this year and now plays for the Kiwis in the Wolrd Cup? Sorry but for mine that just says that the eleigibility rules are somewhat farcical.

MountainMan

Juniors
taufua is from a samoan mother and tongan father..meaning he is half tongan half samoan...although im sure he will be playing for samoa.
A better halfs pairing would be feleti and eddie paea?

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Funny thing with Mr. Taufua, he is of full samoan heritage but he represents Tonga for his step father who is of Tongan decent. If I'm hearing the story correctly he never knew his real father so a way of paying back or honoring his step father he chose to play for Tonga. Also Brent Kite is Jorges uncle as he is cousins with the step father, so I'm sure he would of had a word to him about playing for Mate ma'a Tonga.

Springs

First Grade
Daniel Foster won the NYC this year and was good against Samoa. What's Paea done since the last WC?

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Yeah i'm liking Foster, I was worried about him and Langi in the game against Samoa but they handled it fine. And he's got a solid shot on him too, I remember him making Tagataese sick, and a full on shoulder on Junior Sa'u 2 of the hardest runners in the NRL lol.

hutch

First Grade
Having a Tongan stepfather doesn't qualify you for tonga. I would hope he has a better link than that.

s1ng0709

Juniors
1.Taufua
2.Tupou
3.Hurrell
4.Fonua/Likiliki
5.Fonua/Fisiiahi
6.Langi
7.Foster
8.Kite(c)
9.Havili
10.Moi Moi
11.Murdoch-Masila
12.Taumalolo
13.W.Manu

14.S.Manu
15.Seluini
16.Vave
17.Terepo/Ta'ai

Got a good mix of young and old! The halves are a query but you'll also find that Foster captained the panthers to the Holden Cup title and Langi was named 5/8th in Holden Cup Team Of The Year. Hopefully they can bring some of that form to the World Cup. On Taufua I'm sure Tongan officials would not name unless he agreed, like the Oz and Nz teams i just seen the Tongan squad on fox sports not fb and Taufua was named.

surely jorges real father must be tongan? or maybe eligible through his mum/grandparents? if he's eligible through his stepdad that would be as ridiculous as letting Sam Moa play for Samoa because his name spells Samoa

Latest posts