What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tongan players threatening boycott

LeagueXIII

First Grade
And if you put someone in charge who is actually f**king qualified (eg Dave Smith) they get torn down daily.
Rugby League might be the only business on earth where having a clue about money is seen as a negative trait

Agreed, I think the leeches who make big money from the game don't want intelligent independent people in charge. Just look at the loyalty shown to Kerry Packer and where that got us instead of putting the game first.

Coastbloke

Bench
Personally I don't want 2 players running the Tongan game or indeed the national team. If they really wear the Jersey with pride, the they'll STHU and get on with it. I think rugby league is relying way too much on Tonga to talk up the International game. I'd rather see a Kangaroo 3 Test tour to NZ than a 1 off Test against the Kiwis then a 1 off against Tonga. In any case even if they lost those 2 players Tonga would still be able to play entertaining Test matches against Fiji, Samoa, PNG, France, Wales etc..

Maybe the game needs to pay more attention to France and Wales for the sake of the Northern Hemisphere. Not sure in the 4 year cycle why 1 year can't be dedicated to tours. Australia to England. Samoa or PNG to France. Tonga or Fiji to NZ. Wales to France, England to Australia. 3 Test series with maybe a couple of club or rep matches or a 1 off Test with a weaker country?

sportas

Juniors
This has got more to do with the pacific then it does RL. Something happens in RU. Greed and corruption

Burns

First Grade
ToNgA ShOulD bE tIEr oNe

I don't mean to be negative but a tiny nation relying 99% on Aus and NZ with thin finances was always 1 hiccup away from falling back down.
This is why the RLIF and WC needs to persist with larger nations even though it's a more daunting task with slower rewards
Oh, I agree - I mean, as I put in my thread from a while back - I thought Tonga would eventually run out of steam due to subsequent losses against NZ/Aus/GB this year. They aren't as good as they think etc etc.

As to other nations, this is why the RLIF are targeting nations like your Brazil and Canada's of the world - they are nations with money and the ability to run as competent organisations (you would think).

Why we have never thrown the bank at France is unforgivable.

Spot On

Coach
Rugby League constantly has these issues because it is run, played and support primarily by a demographic that has no clue about forward planning, thinks a new car is an investment opportunity, and has no respect for anyone who might see a bigger picture than getting paid now.
The sport refuses to broaden its base beyond this demographic.
Boards are filled with people unfit for the position and players and fans are constantly trying to drag them down to replace them with someone equally inept.

Every one of these stories has different reasons but the one thing in common is
It's always caused by f**king Rugby League People.

... so basically ... bottom feeders?

Clarkent

Juniors
Personally I don't want 2 players running the Tongan game or indeed the national team. If they really wear the Jersey with pride, the they'll STHU and get on with it. I think rugby league is relying way too much on Tonga to talk up the International game. I'd rather see a Kangaroo 3 Test tour to NZ than a 1 off Test against the Kiwis then a 1 off against Tonga. In any case even if they lost those 2 players Tonga would still be able to play entertaining Test matches against Fiji, Samoa, PNG, France, Wales etc..

Maybe the game needs to pay more attention to France and Wales for the sake of the Northern Hemisphere. Not sure in the 4 year cycle why 1 year can't be dedicated to tours. Australia to England. Samoa or PNG to France. Tonga or Fiji to NZ. Wales to France, England to Australia. 3 Test series with maybe a couple of club or rep matches or a 1 off Test with a weaker country?
Speaking up as players is wearing the Jersey with pride! It's more then just a game of rugby league... If the board members are corrupt and can do whatever they want then what taumalolo and Fifita have done for Tonga will be a waste... Most of the money that we're made from previous tests have gone missing they we're supposed to help fund a rugby league tournament in Tonga to help grow the game there... Now tell me would you still " STHU"??

Burns

First Grade
Woolf was asked post game of the Knights match by journalist. He said he has no comment, but supports the players in their actions.

Clarkent

Juniors
I hope they sort it out but I don't want to see any of the defectors ever play for NZ again.
So do I... But its laughable the kiwi fans are saying to the kiwis not to take them back but they had no problem picking most of those players a few years ago after playing there first test as Tongans lol

siv

First Grade
Can't comment on the actual issues

But flying officials when tests arn't held locally shouldn't be such a big deal

It's important that they take the vibe back with them

Matua

Bench
So do I... But its laughable the kiwi fans are saying to the kiwis not to take them back but they had no problem picking most of those players a few years ago after playing there first test as Tongans lol
That's a different scenario though, these guys were selected for NZ and chose not to play, previously they young players on the up not yet Kiwis standard and chose to play for Tonga/Samoa while waiting (if Tonga/Samoa want to enact a similar policy that's their right too).

If you're selected for the Kiwis and turn it down for another country then that should be it, never again.

adamkungl

Immortal
As much as Taumololo and co are quality players that would undoubtedly improve the Kiwi squad, the current guys have shown under a decent coach that they can compete with Australia and England.

The others made their beds, now they can lie in them. What kind of message does it send to young players if you switch nations at every hiccup? Hopefully the NZRL and ARL leave these blokes to sort out their Tonga mess.

Matua

Bench
As much as Taumololo and co are quality players that would undoubtedly improve the Kiwi squad, the current guys have shown under a decent coach that they can compete with Australia and England.
Would anyone aside from Taumalolo walk into a starting position with the Kiwis? Fusitua is in cabbage form. So that leaves the props and do any of them start over Bromwich and JWH? Good for the depth though definitely.

So, reading between the lines on the statement I assume that Woolf was getting paid too much, well what the Board thought was too much.

Latest posts