What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too bad my 9 yr old isn't captain.....

forward pass

Coach
When we got that penalty right on half time and had ONE play - my son said " we should kick a field goal because we may need it later".

Instead we attempted a bomb which was diffused. Not sure who's call it was but the one pointer made great sense to me.

C'mon Caylo - listen to the kid - he knows his stuff !!!!

strider

Post Whore
i'm betting your 9 yr old could maybe kick em better than most our team too :lol: :lol: ... (except ian - ian is a gun)

Stagger eel

Staff member
forward pass said:
When we got that penalty right on half time and had ONE play - my son said " we should kick a field goal because we may need it later".

Instead we attempted a bomb which was diffused. Not sure who's call it was but the one pointer made great sense to me.

keep your 9 year old away your sportstab account..

spiderdan

Bench
i was thinking we shoulda gone for it right after half time rather than take it when the pressure was on with level scores at the end.

goboggo raised this on the official forum a few months back and i agree with him.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I agree. And not only that I reckon all our pointscoring should be field goals. Just pot them over whenever we are down there.

fish eel

Immortal
actually, i think one of the smartest field goals I remember seeing was by PJ Marsh, in either 2000 or 2001, at home against the bulldogs.

If my memory is right, he slotted one right on half time when we were behind by 6, to make it a 5 point margin. We scored first in the second half, converted the try, were up by one and never headed.

Captain BF

Juniors
We couldn't have had a shot at goal, the penalty was awarded just in our half of the field. I'm unsure if Inu can kick that far... Does anyone know if he can kick that far?

Freak2

Juniors
Captain BF said:
We couldn't have had a shot at goal, the penalty was awarded just in our half of the field. I'm unsure if Inu can kick that far... Does anyone know if he can kick that far?

from memory I thought it was 48 out 15 in and for mine I thought Inu or even Hayne should have had a crack.

That was the percentage play rather than trying the impossible!!

Kornstar

Coach
Inu could easily have kicked it from the half way line (atleast distance wise anyways)......i was hoping they would go for goal

forward pass

Coach
fish eel said:
actually, i think one of the smartest field goals I remember seeing was by PJ Marsh, in either 2000 or 2001, at home against the bulldogs.

If my memory is right, he slotted one right on half time when we were behind by 6, to make it a 5 point margin. We scored first in the second half, converted the try, were up by one and never headed.

I have a theory, that first chance you get - you take the one point. Even if its the first score. It never hurts to have that point in the bank and why not take it when its easy than trying to get one at the frantic end when you have to work so hard to get into position.

Robbie Farah has kicked a couple of early ones this year and they have paid off !

fish eel

Immortal
forward pass said:
I have a theory, that first chance you get - you take the one point. Even if its the first score. It never hurts to have that point in the bank and why not take it when its easy than trying to get one at the frantic end when you have to work so hard to get into position.

Robbie Farah has kicked a couple of early ones this year and they have paid off !

heres the game I was referring to here
http://stats.rleague.com/rl/scorers/games/200018.html#BUPR

I am certain that when Peej kicked that FG, the score was 12-6 and he made it 12-7. We go on to win 25-12.

Stagger eel

Staff member
fish eel said:

something tells me that PJ may have had the touch of the "Terry Lambs" then..

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
forward pass said:

rowdy said the exact same thing!!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Oh, I get it...

So, instead of trying to play positive football and back themselves, they should have kicked a goal or drop-goal?

Would you be saying that had they actually scored a try just on half-time? I doubt it. And that potential try could have swung the momentum back our way. The execution was poor, but the idea was right, I feel.