What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too bad my 9 yr old isn't captain.....

fish eel

Immortal
eelementary said:
So, instead of trying to play positive football and back themselves, they should have kicked a goal or drop-goal?

I'd rather we won the game.

Eelementary said:
Would you be saying that had they actually scored a try just on half-time? I doubt it. And that potential try could have swung the momentum back our way. The execution was poor, but the idea was right, I feel.

But they didn't ;-)

In any case, the game didnt swing on that call. It swung on the appalling application in defence in the second half that gave the sharks two tries.

BTH, potting field goals to get a one or 7 point lead when the clock is winding down in the first half is not a bad thing to to

Eelementary

Post Whore
It just seems like it's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Personally, I feel that the only really viable options we had were to either take the kick at goal (from what - 60 metres out?) or to get close and try to put some pressure to score. A field goal...With this side, I very much doubt it would have achieved much.

But I do agree - attack isn't our problem. It's our shoddy defence. Particularly in the ruck these days. It was woeful against the Sharks.

fish eel

Immortal
Eelementary said:
It just seems like it's a case of "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

Personally, I feel that the only really viable options we had were to either take the kick at goal (from what - 60 metres out?) or to get close and try to put some pressure to score. A field goal...With this side, I very much doubt it would have achieved much.

A few people around where I was sitting were calling for the field goal. Going for the try was real pot luck stuff. Given our record kicking them, perhaps spo was the field goal

. Particularly in the ruck these days. It was woeful against the Sharks.

That killed us in extra time.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's a big part of the reason I feel field-goals are not our best option - we seemingly have issues kicking them.

But freakish tries...Cayless scored a freakish try from a bomb to Inu against Manly, and we've scored other outrageous tries this year. Our track record is decent when it comes to backing ourselves and pulling of a freakish bit of play.

So taking those two pieces of information together, it's probably a better odds-on option for us to back ourselves.

stuke

Bench
forward pass said:
I have a theory, that first chance you get - you take the one point. Even if its the first score. It never hurts to have that point in the bank and why not take it when its easy than trying to get one at the frantic end when you have to work so hard to get into position.

Robbie Farah has kicked a couple of early ones this year and they have paid off !

old 'backdoor' Benny Elias used to like the early field goal too! i can remember a few games in the late 80's where the early score would be 1-0 or 3-2.

shame for him his most memorable one was the GF attempt that cannoned off the black dot.....straight back at him!

Tekken Lord

Juniors
Why not take an early field goal, you kick it you get the ball back. Miss it and your opponent is bringing it out of their end, there is no down side. Personally i think teams should take early shots far more often, for both the point and the repeat set.

Suitman

Post Whore
stuke said:
shame for him his most memorable one was the GF attempt that cannoned off the black dot.....straight back at him!

No shame for him mate.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen!! Due to the fact a lot of my mates are Tigers fans!! :lol:

Geez I enjoyed that miss!! :lol:

It is still taboo at BBQ's!! :lol:

Suity

No LabeL EeL

Juniors
i said to my mate when we got that penalty that they should push up for a field goal.
why cant timmy kick field goals? the rest of his kicking game is great.....and why isnt finch having a crack? from that one he slotted over in origin 1 last year...he should get the duties....unless it was just pure luck on his part....who knows ?...do you?

Latest posts