What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too much faith in local juniors

The Colonel

Immortal
What has happened around the club should not impact on the field, look at Cronulla and the way Stuart led the way.
The major problem is that the CEO tends to answer to noone, and the Board should stand up and be counted. But in the end, the coach is responsible for what results we get, and it will get worse next year, Dennis went out and recruited Hagan, what chance do we have of the CEO admitting he made a mistake,not much I would think.

2006 shouldn't have started the way it did either. I just think some of the decisions that are made within the club at various times aren't particularly well thought out in terms of consequences. Given the team had started to win and were in with a slim chance of making the finals would you have made the same decisions or left them until a time that would have been more suitable?

stuke

Bench
problems within the club obviously start at the top and work their way down. Hagan's appointment was always a strange one, especially when he was apparently headhunted after the year that he had in 2005.

Ant

Juniors
What a load of rubbish, we were sh*t last year, plain and simple!!!!

We did not string together 3 wins in a row during the regular season, when we finally did it was against an extremely depleted Bronco's side (round 25) who lost Hodges during the match.

Then we got amazingly lucky against the first week of the finals vs the Warriors who bombed a certain try that would have won them the game and then we only just beat a Dogs side that had given up, we were not convincing at all!!!!

Do you remember the Canberra game last year at all???? I do, it was a very depressing drive home!

Hagan got lucky that we made it to the GF qualifier last year and we were never going to win that game and we never looked like winning it, we certainly played better in that game than we had all year imo but given that we played sh*t all year before it we didn't know how to compete with a team as good as the Storm.

Hagan has f*cked our club and even worse is that d*ckhead Fitzy has let him and should take full responsibility for everything!!!!!!!!!

Yes and we were no better in 2006, which was my major point, so perhaps we were f#$ked before Hagan arrived. in 2006 we won 12 games and only beat 4 top 8 sides all year and beat none of the top 3. We played crap for the first half went on a mid late season run then lost our last 3.
In 2007 we won an extra 3 games and 8 of our wins against top 8 sides.

Fitzy I can take as ruining the club, but hagan we are no worse state than when he arrived.

stuke

Bench
2006 is a hard year to use. the first part of the season was wasted due to Brian still holding the reigns of the team despite being fired. he coached accordingly, and the players results showed what was happening.

once Brian fell on his sword the real team, the team that won the 2005 minor premiership and was one win away from a GF berth stood up. they left their run to late, not many teams can put together a run like that in todays game and it eventually showed at the end of the season.

Ant

Juniors
They don't all do fantastically but look at some of the younger players we have let go in the last twelve months or so - Zeb Taia, John and David Williams. All three have played consistent football and when you look at the players that have been kept ahead of them you question why. Sure, you can't keep them all but at times you wonder why some are kept at all or the club don't look outside the system that is apparently the envy of the rest of the NRL.

None of those 3 players mentioned would have made a great difference to our season. Our depth perhaps, but they are bit parts of their various teams. They are not star members of their sides. John Williams has not been that great for the cowboys same as the rest of their team. I also don't know if any of those 3 left under hagan.

Delboy

First Grade
Zeb was let go in the middle of last season by Hagan, and david Williams was let go at the end of last season by hagan.

John Williams took the money at the Roosters as

Delboy

First Grade
Ooops

Ant, I am still at a loss that Hagan is being defended, he has disappointed at a lot of levels, and his press conferences are abysmal and an insult to our intelligence.

If he is retained it will cost a lot more than his severance, there are a number of season ticket holders who I know that have suggested they wont renew if he is still there.

He appears out of touch with the situation most of tghe tiume, we need someone with passion to give us direction, something he apperars to lack

Ant

Juniors
Ooops

Ant, I am still at a loss that Hagan is being defended, he has disappointed at a lot of levels, and his press conferences are abysmal and an insult to our intelligence.

If he is retained it will cost a lot more than his severance, there are a number of season ticket holders who I know that have suggested they wont renew if he is still there.

He appears out of touch with the situation most of tghe tiume, we need someone with passion to give us direction, something he apperars to lack

I am not necessarily defending Hagan, I just get irked by the suggestion that a coach change fixes everything or ruins everything.

We weren't flying along at the top of the ladder when Hagan arrived and I would argue we are in a pretty similar spot this year as we were in 2006.

He clearly can coach, you can't win a premiership being totally hopeless. But I do wonder if he is the man for a crisis, I think he is a man who is very level headed and not very fiery.

It seems at times the only great vision eels fans have is get rid of hagan and it will be okay. I just don't see how it will fix anything, just as getting rid of Brian smith didn't fix a whole lot.

lucablight

First Grade
I am not necessarily defending Hagan, I just get irked by the suggestion that a coach change fixes everything or ruins everything.

We weren't flying along at the top of the ladder when Hagan arrived and I would argue we are in a pretty similar spot this year as we were in 2006.

He clearly can coach, you can't win a premiership being totally hopeless. But I do wonder if he is the man for a crisis, I think he is a man who is very level headed and not very fiery.

It seems at times the only great vision eels fans have is get rid of hagan and it will be okay. I just don't see how it will fix anything, just as getting rid of Brian smith didn't fix a whole lot.

Coaching change can't fix everything eh? How about the Roosters in 2007 and even the Eels in 2006?

I also don't see how you can make a comparison to 2006 and now. The circumstances are very different.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How can you compare 2006 and now??? As was stated, firstly we still had Smith coaching and he and the team looked on autopilot. After he left we looked a different side, if it wasn't for the loss of just about all our front rowers we could have really given the comp a a shake.

This season we have been woeful all year besides flogging 2 even worse Tigers sides. But i don't think it matters who plays in this side, local Juniors or big signing's while we are be coached by a clueless nuffy. Our defence has been diabolicall year and in round 25 the same glaring errors are still being exposed.

Bigfella

Coach
How can you compare 2006 and now??? As was stated, firstly we still had Smith coaching and he and the team looked on autopilot. After he left we looked a different side, if it wasn't for the loss of just about all our front rowers we could have really given the comp a a shake.

This season we have been woeful all year besides flogging 2 even worse Tigers sides. But i don't think it matters who plays in this side, local Juniors or big signing's while we are be coached by a clueless nuffy. Our defence has been diabolicall year and in round 25 the same glaring errors are still being exposed.

Most disappointing thing and what should spell the death knellfor MH career.

The goal line defence that doesn't move off the line; the inability to defend second man play or any attack from the left flank to right; inability to control the ruck; inability to play second phase play yet at the same time not even play a yardage game?

Same issues from game 1 to game 25. It's embarrassing for the club the coach and the players.

How many players improved this season from game 1 to 25?

Could you honestly say any of them did? I'm not sure you could.

And many got much much worse.

Stagger eel

Staff member
hey Bigs what did you think of our right side defence last night??? ;-)

but I do agree with you and hoping and praying that last night was a watershead night for the club and that our board and CEO decided that enough is enough.