What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

top 10 moments in Rugby League - Sports Tonight

Inferno

Coach
I'd say the amount of coaches playing musical chairs would have to be there somewhere. The Eels effort in the back half of the season was impressive as well.

Hellsy

Immortal
miccle said:
All that negativity absolutely blows - why the need for it?? This'd be something closer to resembling mine, focusing slightly more on some individual games:

10. The 8-1 game between the Eels and the Dragons. Absolutely bizarre match, very memorable.

9. PHAC/Crowe vote of South Sydney - the Rabbits seemingly on the rise at last.

8. The early balltearer of a match between the Knights and the Cowboys - the supposed GF preview which never eventuated. What an incredible game.

7. The round 16(??? or maybe later) clash between the Doggies and the Dragons - one of the best forward battles I've seen in a regular season match in years.

6. The incredible semi-final comeback of Brisbane to beat the Doggies for a spot in the GF.

5. The rise and rise of the Melbourne Storm - dominant minor premiers, increasing crowd figures and a new powerhouse emerging in the competition.

4. Jason Taylor's incredible launch into top class coaching, taking a Parra team destined for the bottom three on a rise up into the top eight courtesy of an incredible winning streak. Magic.

3. The whole SOO series, capped off by a memorable result in front of a sold out crowd in MELBOURNE. Amazing stuff.

2. The year of the Bronco. Love 'em or hate 'em their journey this year was magic after some horrid years, lead by Locky and Bennett who proved everyone wrong... and sent one of the best props in the game out a winner.

1. The Tri-Nations series. Everything about it - from the early Fien saga, the against-all-odds win by the Poms, the Mason/Kidwell controversy right through to the incredible golden point final. This series was amazing and rocketed IRL right into the forefront of Australia.

That's how I'd line up the top ten moments/matches/issues for the year - anyone completely disagree with me? Or is my list a slight improvement?

Good choices!!!

Id also add
* Eric Grothe running down the sideline in Origin, he ran most of the firld to score - remiders of his old man came flooding in!!

miccle

Bench
Hellsy said:
Good choices!!!

Id also add
* Eric Grothe running down the sideline in Origin, he ran most of the firld to score - remiders of his old man came flooding in!!

Definitely - but that's one of the reasons why I had a cop-out and just said the whole SOO series... because TBH all three games had absolutely everything.

That try was just outstanding - pure pace, power and determination. But add to that things like Finch in game one, Mogg rising from a relative unkown in the league world to being a multiple try-scoring hero for Qld, the incredible last minute try to win the series and a packed house in Melbourne. Deadset you could almost do the top ten moments for the year from those three games alone if you really wanted to.

Glad to see a lot of people like my list though :)

Rage

Juniors
It is a great list miccle, i totally understand what you mean about origin, it was great this year and had enough drama of it's own to fill the top ten moments.

just look at what happened to the players involved:

finch went from frist game hero to zero in less then a month.
mogg went from adam who? to amazing gravity defying tryscorer.
craig bellamy claiming that inglis was too young for origin and then greggy getting out there and doing what he does best and then going on to do it again for australia.

then there was that pass, that knock on/try, that field goal and that massive crowd in melbourne. all such wonderful league moments.

the only bad part about reminiscing is realising how long it is before next year's soo :(

ouwet

Bench
Misty Bee said:
Your list is far better, miccle. On a similar note:

Kidwell's hit on Mason - Tri Series 1

Wiki's hit on Mason - Tri Series final

Mason holding up the trophy after creating most of the press for the series...

It's a shame that Mason had to create the buzz and the media are to f**ked to give IRL the respect and coverage it deserves.

Agent Mulder

Bench
LESStar58 said:
Honorable mention goes to Eels vs Storm @ Parra Stadium when we were getting thumped without our Origin stars. Trner put the ball out of the full twice from the kick off and we desreved to lose but we ended up pounding away at the eels with webster scoring 3 or 4 tries and hayne about the same amount for parra. great game all around!

That was a good game even though Parra lost we were on par with you guys for a long time in that match, Also the 6-12 Semi was also a great game, 1 vs 8 games have never been so close.

choc_soldier

Coach
Great list, miccle. Definitely more like it.

I somehow watched the AFL one (probably was too lazy to change the channel), and from memory, most were actually positive. No surprises there, I guess. But at least they mentioned a few doozies, such as that West Coast player that ran a booze bus.

Hellsy

Immortal
miccle said:
Definitely - but that's one of the reasons why I had a cop-out and just said the whole SOO series... because TBH all three games had absolutely everything.

That try was just outstanding - pure pace, power and determination. But add to that things like Finch in game one, Mogg rising from a relative unkown in the league world to being a multiple try-scoring hero for Qld, the incredible last minute try to win the series and a packed house in Melbourne. Deadset you could almost do the top ten moments for the year from those three games alone if you really wanted to.

Glad to see a lot of people like my list though :)

:thumb :thumb :thumb

Charlie124

First Grade
I dont think you guys should read too much into the negatives highlighted in 10's countdown, i dont think it was an anti-league agenda issue because i was unlucky enough to watch the AFL one the night before and it was pretty much the same thing (off field drama, players done for drink driving etc.) The NRL one was no worse than the AFL.

ozbash

Referee
mattyg said:
Mason deserved to be in the top 10. He basically made the tri nations series what it was, and that was one of the best adverts for international rugby league ever.

you serious, or what :roll:

gunnamatta bay

Referee
What about roosters el supremo Nick Politis sacking Ricky Stuart, finding out Wayne was staying put and in a mad panic signing Chris Anderson?

Front-Rower

First Grade
LESStar58 said:
My top 12 (cos I feel like bein' different)

12. Tri series as a whole- some close games, sterling results, controversy and some fantastic finishes!

11. Knights vs Cowboys @ Energy AustraliaStadium- yeah, it's funny how a season can change so quickly! The top 2 teams, both undefeated at the time and both expected to feature inn The Big One. Look how things ended up. Cowboys missed the finals and the Knights were belted by 40-odd points by the eventual premiers.

10. Night football returns to Kogarah. 8-1? On par with the weirdest scoreline I've seen since QLD beating NSW 2-0 @ the SFS in 1995!

9. Origin.... all 3 games.

8.Webcke's retirement. I'm a Storm supporter through and through but to see Webbie go out the way he did, I just had to applaud. Perhaps the most dominant prop forward the game has seen since Glenn Lazarus, who also bowed out in a similar fashion in 1999.

7. Cooper Cronk's field goal in double golden point extra time to pip Penrith 17-16 @ Olympic Park.

6. Ryan Hoffman setting up Jake Websters last minute try off a miraculous Cooper Cronk kick @ Olympic PArk.

5. Ryan Hoffman crying his eyes out on the hallowed Telstra Stadium pitch after the Storm lost the GF. It epitomises how much that jersey means to Hoffy, the team as a whole and the fans of Melbourne. Hopefully he'll be crying tears of joy come October 2007

4. Dragons vs Storm @ Kogarah- the game really was in the balance right up ntil Cronk scored the winner in the corner. Fantastic Storm defense denied Gasnier a try and then there was Matt King flipping off the Dragons fans!

3. Greater interest in rugby league in Melbourne all up. Bigger Storm crowds, a sold out Origin and a International featuring one of the great finishes in RL.

2. The rise and rise of Greg Ingliss. 19 years old with the whole rugby league world at his feet. Has played Origin, Internationals and played in a grand final all in really his only full year of first grade. Undoubtedly the most naturally gifted athlete in any code of sport in this country. The kind of player rugby league ignorant people will go to a game just to see play. And the best part? He's all ours for another 4 seasons!

1. The year of Darren Lockyer. Again, I'm a Storm fan but for 3 or 4 years now Locky has been my favorite player without question. Ever since he pulled that rabbit out of the hat in the First Test vs GB @ Wigan, 2003. He's all class, a champion and he deserves everything he gets.

People cry after losing a Grand Final all the time because of the hurt they feel and seeing the oppostion in fits of joy.

I think your going a bit to far there mate.

innsaneink

Referee
Boatharbour said:
there's surely an agenda there by Channel 10 in
dishing up that ordinary list of "highlights".
Rubbish.
Theyre just giving a balanced view on the season past, its competition....and for every winner there a loser, every happy fan one not so happy. Its not perfect, not 100% positive, nothing is...to portray it that way would be unrealistic

Latest posts