What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 17 at Full Strength

Benny

First Grade
We haven't been at full stregth all year but if we were what would be our top 17?

I refuse to believe we can carry Nightingale on the bench at full strength but some very good players will miss out. Some choose themselves and some are up for discussion.

My top 17:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Beau Scott
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendall Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Chase Stanley
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Dan Hunt
15. Neville Costigan
16. Micky Paea
17. Nathan Fien

To me the backline picks itself with quality players like Michael Lett and Jason Nightingale missing out.

The forward pack picks itself with my smokey Chase Stanley just edging out Matt Prior for the right second row spot. Chase's defence in the 2nd row is good - as showcased by games against Penrith and Manly. Stanley can also offer some skill and creativity on the right hand side of the field and just edges out Prior whose value is an 80 minute workhorse but can't see him playing 80 minutes at full strength.

The bench picks itself with Paea just edging out Saffy as I believe can be more dynamic with short minute role off the bench.

Whether you go Stanley/Prior or Paea/Saffy it is one quality and balanced team across the park and quality players not making the 17.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You can't leave Prior out for Stanley. Swap those two around & you are pretty close.

Got no doubt Saffy will be there too.

RedVGooner

Juniors
We haven't been at full stregth all year but if we were what would be our top 17?

I refuse to believe we can carry Nightingale on the bench at full strength but some very good players will miss out. Some choose themselves and some are up for discussion.

My top 17:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Beau Scott
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendall Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Chase Stanley
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Dan Hunt
15. Neville Costigan
16. Micky Paea
17. Nathan Fien

To me the backline picks itself with quality players like Michael Lett and Jason Nightingale missing out.

The forward pack picks itself with my smokey Chase Stanley just edging out Matt Prior for the right second row spot. Chase's defence in the 2nd row is good - as showcased by games against Penrith and Manly. Stanley can also offer some skill and creativity on the right hand side of the field and just edges out Prior whose value is an 80 minute workhorse but can't see him playing 80 minutes at full strength.

The bench picks itself with Paea just edging out Saffy as I believe can be more dynamic with short minute role off the bench.

Whether you go Stanley/Prior or Paea/Saffy it is one quality and balanced team across the park and quality players not making the 17.

1st.Prior, 2nd Saffy, 3rd Stanley

Bennett won't put Stanley in the second as Saffy and Prior have been good all year but no one can question that Stanley is a talented player but i don't he would get picked

I like Prior in for Stanley.

However, I got a feeling that Nightingale would be on the bench - Bennett always seems to pick him, and then Scott can slip into the forwards when he comes on...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
5. Wendall Sailor

11. Chase Stanley

15. Neville Costigan

the above are my concerns with your side.

11. Chase Stanley - nope. must be prior. stanley is only just coming to grips as an outside back. as the brownie experiment proved last year, he's not yet up to scratch as a backrower. yesterday was an ok performance against a severly undermanned team.

15. Neville Costigan- love the guy, but we have done well having an outside back on the bench all year - why change it. put florence in instead. Jeremy Smith & Neville play similar roles...

5. Wendall Sailor - whilst i like the idea of Wendell's evil cousin coming to play for us, I still prefer our existing big fella.. that being said, i'd still enjoy screaming out "Go Dall"

God-King Dean

Immortal
8. Weyman
9. Young
10. Poore
11. Creagh
12. Saffy/Prior (doesn;t bother me which, though I like Saffy more)
13. Smith

14. Hunt
15. Costigan
16. Nightingale
17. Fien

Godz Illa

Coach
If Prior is out I imagine Costigan would be the most likely contender for his spot. Still no word on Prior re: glandular fever fears. Hopefully he avoids it.

Mickey Paea needs to return from his back injury soon or he'll be in danger of being left behind.

watatank

Coach
Haha these threads seem to come up when someone wants to make maybe one minor adjustment to their team or to continue to lambast the continual selection of Nightingale on the bench..

Bennett is going to have some tough decisions...it seems there is really only one vacancy in the starting lineup (back row) and it's anyone's guess as to who will take it. The bench will be interesting though, not really sure who will drop out tbh...there's a lot of players Bennett loves who could easily drop out...Saffy, Prior, Costigan, Nightingale, Hunt and Fien will be fighting for 4/5 positions. Fien's probably the most likely to drop off but then that would really weaken our hooker stocks... I think Stanley should be there but realistically he won't be...

dragonfire

Bench
the above are my concerns with your side.

11. Chase Stanley - nope. must be prior. stanley is only just coming to grips as an outside back. as the brownie experiment proved last year, he's not yet up to scratch as a backrower. yesterday was an ok performance against a severly undermanned team.

15. Neville Costigan- love the guy, but we have done well having an outside back on the bench all year - why change it. put florence in instead. Jeremy Smith & Neville play similar roles...

5. Wendall Sailor - whilst i like the idea of Wendell's evil cousin coming to play for us, I still prefer our existing big fella.. that being said, i'd still enjoy screaming out "Go Dall"

pretty sure that Stanley was playing in the backrow yesterday and Scott was the centre

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Is there anyone else on this thread just grinning while reading this?? LOL :) Any other team would love to be in our position where they could even CONSIDER leaving out players like Head, Priddis, Stanley, Nightingale, Paea, Hunt, Prior, Saffy and still be premiership contenders.

_Johnsy

Referee
If we do make the GF there will be a couple of very, very dissapointed fellas.

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Coops
4. Scott
5. Sailor
6. Sowie
7. Hornby
8. Poore
9. Fien
10. Weyman
11. Smith
12. Creagh
13. Young

14. Hunt/Paea 15. Prior 16. Costigan/Saffy 17. Nightingale

Jasdragon

Juniors

My top 17:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Brett Morris
3. Beau Scott
4. Matt Cooper
5. Wendall Sailor
6. Jamie Soward
7. Ben Hornby
8. Justin Poore
9. Dean Young
10. Michael Weyman
11. Chase Stanley
12. Ben Creagh
13. Jeremy Smith

14. Dan Hunt
15. Neville Costigan
16. Micky Paea
17. Nathan Fien

11. Chase Stanley:crazy::lol:

slipperykinchela

First Grade
best team

1. Boyd
2. Morris
3. Scott
4.Cooper
5. Sailor
6. Soward
7. Hornby
8. Poore