What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Hard Men of League

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jason Croker and Rubin Wiki top the list of tough raiders (or former raiders).

Harrigan was a tough bastard in his hay day. Toovey was a tough little prick aswell

Notell

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
Jason Croker and Rubin Wiki top the list of tough raiders (or former raiders).

Harrigan was a tough bastard in his hay day. Toovey was a tough little prick aswell

Terry Randall, Noel Kelly, John Sattler and Malcom Reilly stand out for me (all from stories I have heard, admittedly.)

I remember Toovey being rated as "pound for pound" one of the toughest footballers of all time, but pound-for-pound, whilst gratifying for the recipient and worthy of respect, does not cut it when it comes to "hard men." Being able to dish it out is at least as important as being able to take it - striking fear in the hearts of opponents.

Ruben Wiki in my mind is right up there. Like McCracken, his lack of genuine ability meant / means nothing in the trenches or in the minds of opponents. Dan Stains is another in that category, though not in the same class.

Dazzat

First Grade
Gotta agree with Mal Meninga Phillips. He didn't "dish it out" on the field, because he didn't have to. He struck fear into opposition by just being there. If anyone saw Mal in the celebrity boxing match where he decked Mark Jackson with one punch, you'll know why. I didn't see too many picking fights with Big Mal, and I reckon a lot of his team mates were glad to be on his side, not opposite.

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
i know theres alot of mention of tough forwards but there the little guys to that were equally as tough.

Geoff Toovey
Clayton Frend
Tommy Raudonakus
Alfie Langer
Gary Freeman - or was he juss a prick?

Focal Point

Juniors
Mario Fenech
John Sattler
Mark Geyer (ask Paul Sironen)
Mark Carroll
David Gillespie

Special mentions to Craig Gower & Geoff Toovey - pound for pound, they're both tough little buggers.

D

Deleted member 10972

One of the toughest players i have ever seen play Rugby League is Luke 'Diamond' Phillips. Your thoughts?

miccle

Bench
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
One of the toughest players i have ever seen play Rugby League is Luke 'Diamond' Phillips. Your thoughts?

Agreed - he sure was tough!

That's the problem with this thread imo. The toughest players are nearly always forwards because they are bigger, usually uglier and play a straight-up, rough style up the middle of the paddock.

It'd be interesting to get people's 5 toughest forwards, 5 toughest halves and 5 toughest backs when you think about it..

D

Deleted member 10972

Phillips was absolutely insane, returned the kicks like a prop, made suicidal tackles on the biggest players putting his body on the line. Played almost 3 years with a busted shoulder, including two grand finals. And still managed to be a genuine attacking option from the back with a kicking game, passing game, & okay pace too. He would have to be in the toughest backs, along with Roosters centre from the 70's MARK HARRIS. You just don't mess with someone like him.

Azkatro

First Grade
How could you watch that video and say Paul Harragon is tougher than Mark Carroll? Harragon moronically wiped himself out and Carroll just got up and played the ball. I think there's a lot more evidence suggesting Carroll was a lot tougher than Harragon.

NPK

Bench
Azkatro said:
How could you watch that video and say Paul Harragon is tougher than Mark Carroll? Harragon moronically wiped himself out and Carroll just got up and played the ball. I think there's a lot more evidence suggesting Carroll was a lot tougher than Harragon.
If someone gets concussion they aren't tough? Not a good argument.

Raider_69

Post Whore
from only players ive seen:

Forwards:
Paul Harrigan, David Gillespie, Mark Carroll, Ruben Wiki/Jason Croker, Ian Roberts

Halves:
Geoff Toovey, Craig Gower, Jason Smith, Alfie Langer... cant think of any other real physically tough halves? Help?! maybe go Stuart for mental toughness

Backs:
Mal Meninga, Luke Phillips, Ruben Wiki, Lesley Vainikolo, Anthony Minichello

D

Deleted member 10972

Ehh Vainikolo isn't tough. Always injured, lacks heart.

Forwards: Hmm...i could list a few...Les Davidson, David Gillespie, Adrian Morley, Mark Graham, Hugh McGahan, Ian Roberts, Mark Carroll, Paul Harrogan, Kevin Tamati, Shane Webcke, Kevin Campion...

Raider_69 said:
cant think of any other real physically tough halves? Help?! maybe go Stuart for mental toughness

Look no further then Wally Lewis. He played the world cup final in 89 with a broken arm.

Raider_69

Post Whore
LeagueFanNumeroUno said:
Ehh Vainikolo isn't tough. Always injured, lacks heart.

:lol: fair call, to be honest i couldnt think of anyone else and i have found memorys of the volcano being pretty physical in offence and defence. He is injury prone but when he's fit and healthy, he's a mean old prick of a winger

though ive just thought of someone, scrap the volcano and throw in Mad Mick Hancock, he was a f**king grub of a player but he also got given his fair share and never seemed to stay down