What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 Hard Men of League

Dazzat

First Grade
Who could forget Wally Lewis standing up to Mark Geyer in the State of Origin match. The way Geyer had been behaving it would have been totally feasible for Geyer to lash out and try to punch Lewis' lights out for talking like that to him. That took guts. And Lewis put on the best hit I've ever seen in that Australia-NZ game in Auckland.

miccle

Bench
There has actually been quite a few tough little pound-for-pound halves.

Toovey, Langer, Lewis, Gower, Raudonikis(!!!!)... they'd have to be right up there.

Inferno

Coach
Toughest player in the game right now would be Todd Polglase for mind. Seems to get the snot beaten out of him every single game, but still gets up and carrys on. Never given enough credit that guy.

MKEB...

Staff member
Dazzat said:
Gotta agree with Mal Meninga Phillips. He didn't "dish it out" on the field, because he didn't have to. He struck fear into opposition by just being there. If anyone saw Mal in the celebrity boxing match where he decked Mark Jackson with one punch, you'll know why. I didn't see too many picking fights with Big Mal, and I reckon a lot of his team mates were glad to be on his side, not opposite.

Who wouldnt be scared of that bugger, or his eybrows. Did they really have minds of their own?

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I can;t believe people haven;t picked johns. This bloke has played many games after being knocked out and he also broke his back and then tried to play on.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Bring it home Knights said:
I can;t believe people haven;t picked johns. This bloke has played many games after being knocked out and he also broke his back and then tried to play on.

Cattle Dog!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
1. John Sattler
2. Les Boyd
3. Mal Meninga
4. Wally Lewis
5. Trevor Gilmeister

In recent times I'd have to say Jason Croker, the guy has finished a game with a broken leg and taken the field days after copping an iron bar to the melon. That on top of the way he played the game.

NPK

Bench
Are people picking John Sattler just because he played with a broken jaw?
1. He admitted it didn't hurt.
2. How de we know other players wouldn't do the same thing in the same situation? Others have never had the chance to show how tough they are...

Walt Flanigan

Referee
It's Rugby League folklore mate. We do know players wouldn't do the same thing because we've seen a number of players over the years break their jaw and not play on.

NPK

Bench
Walt Flanigan said:
It's Rugby League folklore mate. We do know players wouldn't do the same thing because we've seen a number of players over the years break their jaw and not play on.

...because it was painful but Sattler's wasn't painful.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
If he said that I'm sure he was just trying not to sound like a bitch. I can't imagine having a broken jaw that didn't hurt and if you've seen the vision it looks sickening how his jaw is just hanging there.

Quigs

Immortal
Quigs here - webmaster of www.eraofthebiff.com

Re John Sattler and the broken jaw incident.... Quote from Satts himself...

A punch from behind collected him flush on the jaw. When Sattler realised he had been injured he propped near South's dual international winger Michael Cleary and said to him ; "Mike, hold on to me...don't let me fall. I don't want these bastards (Manly) to know I'm crook.

RE THE TOUGH MEN .....
Ive had a poll running on my site for over three years now, includes hard men and mad man poll.

I thought I'd share the ongoing results of the biff hardman poll. The vote has been going since 2003 and covers players from the mid 50's to late 80's early 90's.

Includes players from both sides of the equator and the vote is a 3 -2 -1 system. Over 80 players included in the hardmen list.

If you youngens dont know about some of these players then there is some homework for you.
p-vote350.jpg

Look forward to your comments.

Cheers
Quigs

Navjot

Juniors
Never been a big manly fan but pound 4 pound Geoff Toovey is my pick, those cauliflowered ears dont lie.

MSIH

Bench
Top 5 without a shadow of a doubt in no particular order.

Randall, Toovey, Boyd, Reilly and Wombat.

Latest posts