What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 5 players you wished never left your side?

* Terry Hermannsson and Brett Goldspink (end of 1994)
* Craig Wing
* Peter Cusack (end of 2007 - and yeah, sure he was a Chooks player, but he played with soul for both clubs).
* Ashley Harrison - right club at the wrong time.

And all the ones we lost early 1990's - Serdaris, Hill, Garlick, Dymock, Williams, Maybon, Manoa Thompson, Scott Wilson...

Bulldog Force

Referee
  1. Willie Mason - even though he left on bad terms, he loves the club through and through, and a true Bulldog, and is a life-time member, and I also find that he's matured and developed as a person (I also don't hold it against him that he had a grudge with Malcolm Noad).
  2. Steve Price - he was a courageous captain for 4 years, a true leader both on and off the field and maintained a squeaky-clean image throughout his career
  3. Roy Asotasi - a true gentlemen of the game and was in career-best form when he signed with Souths
  4. Craig Polla-Mounter - one of the old doggies from the our successful 90s - he didn't actually leave though, he retired in 2001 aged only 29 - I still think he had 3 good years left in him. Due to an injury sustained, a comeback attempt in 2004 didn't work out :(
  5. Barry Ward - Big Bad Bustling Barry Ward. If you saw this guy running at you in the middle of the night, you'd probably drop dead. Even though he left towards the end of his career, he was still the running earth-quake that would require 3 players to tackle. He was one tough old-school unit. I'm glad he's got a board role at the club now.
Now you may be wondering about a few notable omissions. Here a my reasons:

• SBW has no room on my list, because he was a truly disgraceful player for my club. He was getting paid 6 figures to sit on the sidelines for half the season. He was also in trouble either drinking or driving or something else. The manner in which he left the club showed the entire RL community what kind of f**kwit he truly was.
  • JT - Nope, not even him. He constantly wants more money and has had a few incidents with girls or what have you. He can stay as far away from Sydney as possible.
Are they talents Rugby League players? You better believe it, but to make my list you have to be a good player AND a good person!

Nightward

Juniors
In no particular order:

Scott Prince (he's back now, but we'll see how that goes)
Michael Ennis
Ben Te'o
Ben Hannant
Petero Civoneceva

I considered Chris Walker because if he'd stayed at the Broncos, Wayne would likely have been able to keep him out of trouble, but there's a lot of what-ifs in that situation I don't know would necessarily pan out.

Ben Te'o will be one that comes back to bite us, but we had too many second-row/centres as it was, so...

LESStar58

Referee
I hate Soward. He's a whiney little b*tch who is so hot and cold depending on his confidence and depending on how the team is playing. But you cannot deny that in 2010 he was excellent - he and Hornby made an excellent halves pairing. That team under Wayne Bennett's tutelage exceeded all expectations to go from a pretty average team on paper to one of the best defensive units in modern history, as well has having quite potent attack, in part thanks to Soward.

Don't even try to pretend you wish he wasn't in Rooster colours when all you had was that hack Pearce. And while I don't like him, Soward definitely had the last laugh after that Premiership win.

And for Melbourne:
1. Aiden Tolman - excellent prop, surprised he hasn't played Origin yet...sad to see him go, has a huge future ahead.
2. Michael Crocker - the heart and soul of our side 06-08. An inspiration, as well as out good luck charm - iirc he won about 92% of the games he played with us? We didn't lose when he was on board.
3. Tawera Nikau - needs no lengthy explanation. He was responsible for that second half in the 1999 premiership. A true NZRL legend.
4. Jeremy Smith - our iron man. No surprises Wayne wants him at Newcastle - he makes their pack pretty intimidating now.

Like LESStar, I can't think of any more than 4. We've lost a few others, but I can't really list them as huge losses:
1. Greg Inglis - yes, he's a fine player, in fact top 5 right now. But the game as a whole is better off with him elsewhere. At Melbourne, stuck at 5-8 (and to a lesser extent centre) he just wasn't that great. It's good to see him play well at fullback now...except against us!
2. Israel Folau - at the time quite disappointed - youngest Aussie rep, and seemed like a genuinely good guy. But now we've learnt he has no loyalty. First he ditches Melbourne for Brisbane for family reasons - what happened to the family when he went to GWS? Then ditched GWS for the chance to play with Parra, but then ditches them for big money in Union. Glad to see him gone.
3. Dallas Johnson - played with so much heart, and tackled very hard....but can't help to think that we aren't missing out on very much with Hinchcliffe at lock?

Agree with your observations of Soward.

What's the difference between Ron Jeremy and Jamie Soward? Ron Jeremy can perform without Wayne Bennett?

As for us losing players, it's not like we had a choice now did we? ;p

captainwarrior

Juniors
1. Sione Faumuina
2. Ali Lauti'iti
3. Clinton Toopi
4. Francis Meli
5. Sonny Fai

Jones and Tuimavave were sad for me too, but when Jones left I thought the time was right.

W.Smith

Juniors
wouldve loved for STGI to have held on to a tall skinny winger from Gerringong named Tariq Sims, wouldve luvd seeing him develop at our joint

St George -

1 - Tallis
2 - Edge
3 - Slippery
4 - Mick O'Connor
5 - Rod Reddy

STGI -

1 - Lance Thommo
2 - Trent Barrett
3 - Bull Bailey
4 - Darius Boyd
5 - Jeremy Smith
5a -Josh Morris

Last edited:

Dragon_psa

First Grade
1. Brad Mackay (He came back though, so all good)
2. Bull Bailey (why couldn't the bloody Titans have taken Ryles instead?)
3. Craig Fitzgibbon
4. Jeremy Smith
5. Josh Morris

W.Smith

Juniors
Mackay and Mick Potter were big losses too when they headed off to Perth from St George and were also a couple of faves of mine that i hated seeing go, Fitz is a great call too Dragon psa, i was shattered when he went and thought how much it sucked to lose a local Illawarra junior with solid roots per his Dad, Alan, a former Steelers/Dapto coach

im surprised more Stormfans dont list Greg Inglis and evn more surprised at how many Stormfans say how he was expendable when he was let go

Patorick

Staff member
(Last 10 years)

1. JWH
2. M.Monaghan
3. D.Whare
4. D.Lussick
5. A.Cannings/L.Tasi

Dragon2010

First Grade
In no particular order:

1. Darius Boyd
2. Neville Costigan
3. Craig Fitzgibbon
4. Jeremy Smith
5. Josh Morris

The Eagle

Juniors
Steve Menzies - Club legend,but left at the right time,im just greedy
Travis Burns - Had the biggest heart of any player ever,still wish him the best even though he wouldnt get game time with Keiran Foran now playing
Shane Rodney - We missed him last year,he's that bloke you dont see do much unless your watching,complete workhorse and top bloke
Micheal Robertson - Age caught up with him in the last few years,but still solid as ever,one of the best finishers in the modern era
William Hopoate - The picture of versatility could fit into any position in the backline seamlessly

Patorick

Staff member
No Will Hopoate, Michael Robertson or Steve Menzies?
In my most humble of opinions:
Will: Between the Mormon Mission and the Parra deal, I'm ok with him leaving when he did, especially going out with a premiership ring. Might change depending how he goes next year and beyond.
Robbo: Deserves his UK money, was great for us but yeah left at the right time and on top.
Beaver: Again perfect time, perfect way to go out and earn some extra dosh in Europe. Love him to bits, but he made the right choice to move on when he did.

firechild

First Grade
Beaver: Again perfect time, perfect way to go out and earn some extra dosh in Europe. Love him to bits, but he made the right choice to move on when he did.

By all reports he wanted to stay but was forced out by Hasbolah. He's playing his 5th season in the UK and I have no doubt he could have been great coming off the bench for us in 2009/10 at least.

Latest posts