What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 8 - Contenders and pretenders

Loudstrat

Coach
6 rounds remaining - and looks like the Dragons have the minor premiership almost sewn up. Say what you like about their form, their finals ability, their digestive system etc, but they are the one team who have played consistently well all year - and IMHO deserve favoritism to nab one GF spot. I believe the rest are playing for the other spot.

Given that Melbourne have spent a lotto win each year to break the cap - they are rightfully out of this discussion.

But then again so have the other usual suspects.

• Parra have only stated playing in the last few weeks, and todays announcement that they are now second favorites to win the comp is more of a reflection of the lack of other convincing challengers emerging that Haynetrain mortgaging his mums house to fund his Centrebet account. Canterbury are crap.
  • Manly forgetting how to score tries until today, with halves so bad that only Parra's look worse, and only Canterbury happy to throw money at them (Hodgkinson)
  • Brisbane have a Mr Bubbles with old deviate Darren surrounded by kindergarten kids who have been playing well, but have the smell of cannon fodder if they hit a serious opponent.
  • Souths have a mounting injury toll, and despite threatening to launch into the unknown territory of a secure Top 4 berth, and now in the familiar territory of scrambling for a game in September.
  • Tim Sheens has been whinging that no one has given his Tigers any credit for being third - now they are what - 6th after meeting Manly.
  • The Titans are going ok - but at an average age of 27, have they the stamina? Especially with money worries at the club?
  • Easts have gotten rid of the spoon, but does a side fuelled by AA members have what it takes?
  • Penrith have found themselves in second place before being flattened by the Hayne train.
  • Finally, NZ have strung some wins together and the sheep are getting excited. Lets not forget their big surprises of 2 years ago.
Who is the most likely?

For mine - Parra and Souths are too far down to expect to win the games they need to from here on in. But Parra have the experience and the talent to repeat last year. Souths have the experience and the talent to repeat the last 20 years. The Tigers are luke warm - and haven't strung many dominant performances together. Brisbane are an excited scout camp waiting to get bitten by the first snake that bites. Penrith still have to silence the doubters and need a big win with Jennings running tries in to be convincing.

Which leaves the odd combination of NZ, Easts and the Titans.

And the smokeys at the back - Canberra. Anyone got some money on them???

DragonPunk

Live Update Team
Staff member
They have a tougher draw this year i think compared to last year. They have to play top eight teams the rest of the year.

saints_fireup

Juniors
We're out of form at the moment, and certainly I don't think any team can sustain the level of performance required for the NRL for the duration of the season in the modern game. The key point for mine is that during this 'form slump' we've still not conceded more than 13 points in any one game. The defensive structure remains resilient. The attack is of course the concern, however this is more due to being dominated in the forwards than anything else in recent times.

The contenders IMO nclude Parramatta, Manly and the Broncos.

It seems that the competition is wide open. It just depends on which teams can build momentum towards the finals over the next six weeks and build some consistency.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
LOL @ top 8 teams.

The teams in 2nd/3rd position on the ladder are only like 4 points in front of some teams outside of the 8,the comp is so close,absolutely no difference to be playing against a top 8 side or a team outside the 8.

Gaba

First Grade
eels would have preferred if the titans and souths lost this week i think to get into the top 8 now will be 30 points.

a few teams in the 8 and outside are near or negative in for and against

warriors , titans, tigers , roosters are the ones under pressure to miss out on the 8 if they come equal with a team who is outside of the 8 on 30 points

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
eels would have preferred if the titans and souths lost this week i think to get into the top 8 now will be 30 points.

alot of teams are near or negative in for and against

Parra have 4 guaranteed wins coming up

Roosters
Tigers
Warriors
Bunnies

Titans and Broncos are the only danger games.

Ulysseus

Bench
I am not going to say Manly are a true grit contender just because they won today, that is the game they had to win.
Contenders:
Saints (only defence to still be sub 300 conceded, sub 200 for that matter, benchmark for this year so far, will win the grand final on pure emotional charge IF they can get to it)
Panthers (I think they can get their sh*t together),
Warriors (ditto the Penrith call, they've been going well)
Broncos (they just have the knack, they can get lucky -ala 2006 - and if their bogey sides are out of the road they can win it, if they can get to the big day)
f**ked if I know yet:
Parra (if they get the rub of the green, they love leaving it till its almost too late),
Easts (lets wait and see),
Manly (have the talent, just haven't been winning the games),
Wests (have some talent - may struggle to beat hardened sides who are not fooled by left to right bullsh*t)
Titans (if Prince has a good kicking game they are always a shot)
Pretenders:
The 7 teams not in either of those two lists.

Last edited:

cupid

Juniors
6 rounds remaining - and looks like the Dragons have the minor premiership almost sewn up. Say what you like about their form, their finals ability, their digestive system etc, but they are the one team who have played consistently well all year - and IMHO deserve favoritism to nab one GF spot. I believe the rest are playing for the other spot.

Given that Melbourne have spent a lotto win each year to break the cap - they are rightfully out of this discussion.

But then again so have the other usual suspects.

• Parra have only stated playing in the last few weeks, and todays announcement that they are now second favorites to win the comp is more of a reflection of the lack of other convincing challengers emerging that Haynetrain mortgaging his mums house to fund his Centrebet account. Canterbury are crap.
  • Manly forgetting how to score tries until today, with halves so bad that only Parra's look worse, and only Canterbury happy to throw money at them (Hodgkinson)
  • Brisbane have a Mr Bubbles with old deviate Darren surrounded by kindergarten kids who have been playing well, but have the smell of cannon fodder if they hit a serious opponent.
  • Souths have a mounting injury toll, and despite threatening to launch into the unknown territory of a secure Top 4 berth, and now in the familiar territory of scrambling for a game in September.
  • Tim Sheens has been whinging that no one has given his Tigers any credit for being third - now they are what - 6th after meeting Manly.
  • The Titans are going ok - but at an average age of 27, have they the stamina? Especially with money worries at the club?
  • Easts have gotten rid of the spoon, but does a side fuelled by AA members have what it takes?
  • Penrith have found themselves in second place before being flattened by the Hayne train.
  • Finally, NZ have strung some wins together and the sheep are getting excited. Lets not forget their big surprises of 2 years ago.
Who is the most likely?

For mine - Parra and Souths are too far down to expect to win the games they need to from here on in. But Parra have the experience and the talent to repeat last year. Souths have the experience and the talent to repeat the last 20 years. The Tigers are luke warm - and haven't strung many dominant performances together. Brisbane are an excited scout camp waiting to get bitten by the first snake that bites. Penrith still have to silence the doubters and need a big win with Jennings running tries in to be convincing.

Which leaves the odd combination of NZ, Easts and the Titans.

And the smokeys at the back - Canberra. Anyone got some money on them???
Funny how we are 3rd in the comp for most points scored:roll:

TheFrog

Coach
This time last year (the 3/4 mark of the premiership rounds) the Dragons had one win more than this year, and were 4 points clear of second. Yet they not only missed the Grand Final, they didn't even reach the week before the Grand Final. They have been the best team so far this year, once again, but that means precisely squat. I'm sure, deep down, their supporters are nervous.

Just to put this into perspective, since the Dragons last won the premiership, they have made the finals series 17 times. In the past decade they have made the finals 7 times but not reached a single Grand Final.

I would not back them to win this year's comp with Monopoly money.

Ulysseus

Bench
Parra have 4 guaranteed wins coming up

Roosters
Tigers
Warriors
Bunnies

Titans and Broncos are the only danger games.

I would not count the warriors as a complete push over, they can throw it around just as good as parra can.
The roosters are an unknown commodity, if the good version turns up they can defend better than parra when the tough stuff is on.

WaznTheGreat

Referee

Roosters off a short turnaround against Brisbane/MNF syndrome = Eels will destroy them

Tigers = Parra owns this mob,look at the past 12 or so clashes,will destroy them at Parra stadium

Warriors = Parra will not lose there last home game of the season and the Warriors will not beat Parra twice in one year.

Bunnies
= This team never beats the Eels

4 easy wins,end of story.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Warriors = Parra will not lose there last home game of the season and the Warriors will not beat Parra twice in one year.

Funny, given just two years ago Parramatta, needing a win to keep their top 8 hopes alive, lost to the Warriors in their last home game of the season, their second loss to the Warriors that season

TheFrog

Coach
4 easy wins,end of story.

There are no easy wins in this comp. And those are 4 pretty good teams. I think I'll just wait for the game rather than accept that Parramatta just need to turn up.

You never know, someone might unlock the wrong door, and the mob twice beaten by the Sharks might turn up by mistake.

mongoose

Coach
Dragons are obviously the team to beat and even they are not that threatening. On form every other team is as good a chance as each other.

You have to look at which sides have the big game players
Broncos, Tigers, Eels and Titans. Manly if they get Stewart back.

Can't see Penrith doing anything unfortunately. They just have no attack other than kicking.

Warriors and Souths are too inexperienced in key positions.

Roosters could go ok, they have some classy players but their defence is pretty terrible.

Raiders need to win 5 of their last 6 which is a big ask. Don't like their chances.

typicalfan

Coach
if Manly reproduce their round 9 match v the Dragons they are contenders.

Broncos, Manly, Parra, Tigers and Dragons are the big 5. Souths without Luke and Taylor will struggle, Titans don't have the firepower, Warriors have inexperience in key positions and Penrith I think might falter in the finals.

Latest posts