What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 8 - Contenders and pretenders

I think all the top 10 are contenders. The standard of play this year has been very low, no one has really raised the bar, whoever does it in the next 2 months will win the comp, plain and simple.

Easts beat the hapless Bulldogs and they're suddenly contenders? Has everybody forgotten that they were flogged by Cronulla and North Queensland? If they make the top 8 they, like the Tigers, will be cannon fodder for the good sides.

Easts beat the hapless Bulldogs and they're suddenly contenders? Has everybody forgotten that they were flogged by Cronulla and North Queensland? If they make the top 8 they, like the Tigers, will be cannon fodder for the good sides.

If you're trolling, that's a pathetic attempt.
You're relying on results from months ago.

The halves at the Roosters will one day be the best in the game but at the moment I think they don't have the ability to win 4 big games in a row (which is essentially what the finals are). I reckon they might knock off a quality team or two in the process though.

You never know. We're still looking like the sort of side that would require a so-called miracle run throughout the finals. 2010, out of all years, seems like it could very well be won by one of those sides.

natheel

Coach
Contenders: broncos, dragons, warriors

Parra IF they win their next 2 in a row with a very good defensive display

People need to see that it's idiots like haynetrain that makes us parra fans seem f**king arrogant

In saying that though jarryd is a big catalyst for our team when he is firing our whole team picks up Benny smith was great the other night and has been this whole year so too mannah morts grew another leg against the digs and looked dangerous running the ball again. Out most improved IMO is robbo this guy is great for what we t doing at the moment is playing with confidence and is doing great with hayne his kicking has improved alot from what I see

Fiddy

Juniors
Souths can make it if we can finish 8th and face off against the dragons .. lol !

If you're trolling, that's a pathetic attempt.
You're relying on results from months ago.

I forgot to add Newcastle as well. The fact is that no other 'contender' has been flogged by all the bottom sides. You can't even cite origin as an excuse for those woeful performances.
Regardless of how long ago the losses occurred, they demonstrate the Roosters' inconsistency and their vulnerability to being hammered by even the most lowly of teams.

Lol. Oh, you are serious.
Inconsistency...well...after three straight victories I'd have to say we're well on the way to fixing some of our stupid sh*t.

CMUX

I forgot to add Newcastle as well. The fact is that no other 'contender' has been flogged by all the bottom sides. You can't even cite origin as an excuse for those woeful performances.
Regardless of how long ago the losses occurred, they demonstrate the Roosters' inconsistency and their vulnerability to being hammered by even the most lowly of teams.

Luckily for us, we will not have to play those lowly sides in the finals, we will only play top 8 sides (obviously) and our record is good against those sides.

Back on to the topic

Contenders:

Dragons, warriors, easts, brisbane, parramatta, manly

Not convinced:

Wests, Penrith, Souths, titans

In the case of souths i think injuries and a couple to many tight losses along with a tough draw will see them finish outside the 8.

Wests form line suddenly doesn't look flash with a close win over the baby broncos, a 1 point win over titans, a comeback win over the cowboys and a loss to manly

I agree that penrith look like roosters of 08. Along with wests, will still make the finals but i dont know how much damage they can do in big games

Titans had a good win against the dragons but they were lucky at times i reckon they might miss out on the 8 with the rabbits.

Sleep

Juniors
As of right now I think every team is pretending. Not one side has put their hand up.

All top four sides lost this week with the Dragons, Panthers and Tigers all playing pretty ordinary of late. Winning or not, they've not looked good.

Cowboys, Sharks and Bulldogs are done for the year.

Broncos, Eels, Warriors and Roosters have all probably been in the best form of late. But none are even guaranteed to make the finals yet.

Gaba

First Grade
As of right now I think every team is pretending. Not one side has put their hand up.

All top four sides lost this week with the Dragons, Panthers and Tigers all playing pretty ordinary of late. Winning or not, they've not looked good.

Cowboys, Sharks and Bulldogs are done for the year.

Broncos, Eels, Warriors and Roosters have all probably been in the best form of late. But none are even guaranteed to make the finals yet.

i dont think you can really say the ,eels,roosters even the broncos form been that much better

Warriors form been good

imo its doing to come down to the defence which sides going to be in the 8

Warriors, broncos , titans ,sea eagles have shown at times they can defend well

eels the last four games thier defence is a concern 35.24,28,16

the roosters, rabbitohs, tigers

got problems in defence and attack against some of the better teams , who they have got to play leading into the finals

Last edited:
If the Panthers win this weekend, then I think with their "easier" run home they can suddenly be right back in contention. However if they lose this weekend they won't win sh*t.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sleep

Juniors
I agree. If the Panthers lose at home this weekend to the Cowboys they're done for the year.

Luke Lewis and Tim Grant have been tough injuries to handle but that's no excuse.

Coaster

Bench
Titans will win 4 of the last 6 games, leave us on 32 points, and snag us a home Semi, which we will win this year. After Dragons choke we will get the week off, then Lang Park for the next semi, and head to Sydney the week after for the GF.

We will beat the Panthers in a great come from behind win.

screeder

Juniors
I missed the game friday night coaster but i take it your team has fixed the ordinary D it has displayed most of the year?

Latest posts