What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

ACE88

Juniors

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will be interesting to see how the Wolfpack respond. Rules are rules, but in saying that if this C19 pandemic didn’t happen, this wouldn’t of happened, I think the SL clubs are all against Toronto because they want a bigger piece of the pie from Sky,

I reckon SL did this so they don’t have to give Toronto the Sky money that they asked for.

covid just sped up the seemingly inevitable. They were already not paying bills and players before Covid.

deluded pom?

Coach
covid just sped up the seemingly inevitable. They were already not paying bills and players before Covid.
Because Neil would have done the right thing without the furlough scheme wouldn’t he? Leave the bitterness aside mate, you’re embarrassing east Hull.

Dakink

Bench
The RFL and Super League really need to decide what they want to be.

Either pro expansion and growing the game, then they need to better support new growth or continue as the are and see the sport wither if clubs like Fev are ever allowed back in SL.

Pommy

Coach
Looks like Newcastle thunder are the uk bidders. It’s a shame as I would like to see Toronto and Newcastle in super league apparently the us bid want to keep it in Canada.

taste2taste

Juniors
Excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone want to buy a club that looses money ?

How would Toronto make a profit ? Gate takings, Local TV deal and sponsors ? Is that enough ?

I think the new owners would want some of the Sky money.

Pommy

Coach
Excuse my ignorance, but why would anyone want to buy a club that looses money ?

How would Toronto make a profit ? Gate takings, Local TV deal and sponsors ? Is that enough ?

Well the idea in Newcastle’s case is they replace Toronto in SL.
The New York bid might feel they need opposition NA teams to make their business viable.

greenBV4

Bench
Well the idea in Newcastle’s case is they replace Toronto in SL.
The New York bid might feel they need opposition NA teams to make their business viable.
I have next to no idea on the P&R rules and the whole thing with the wolpack license being suspended, but if Newcastle buy out the wolfpack and then just play as newcastle they are fundamentally changing the club and surely shouldn't just get to play in the top tier and thus should have to get promoted up? and if thats the case then why bother buying the wolfpack? and are they planning on being the Newcastle Wolfpack?

I think the superleague needs to decide if they want North American teams or not, and if they decide they do (hopefully), then they should stipulate that the Wolfpack needs to remain in North America.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Yet another great opportunity for RL falls over due to self sabotage and making everything as difficult as possible for them rather.

Although I am still hoping they are back for next year

deluded pom?

Coach
I have next to no idea on the P&R rules and the whole thing with the wolpack license being suspended, but if Newcastle buy out the wolfpack and then just play as newcastle they are fundamentally changing the club and surely shouldn't just get to play in the top tier and thus should have to get promoted up? and if thats the case then why bother buying the wolfpack? and are they planning on being the Newcastle Wolfpack?

I think the superleague needs to decide if they want North American teams or not, and if they decide they do (hopefully), then they should stipulate that the Wolfpack needs to remain in North America.
There are no licences in SL or any other British league. Ottawa bought Hemel’s membership of the RFL which entitles them to the same benefits as other RFL members. This is something Perez obviously rectified after his time at TWP. What there is to gain for Newcastle is a direct entry to SL but I would assume they would play out of Newcastle. I can’t see any reason to buy TWP and keep then in Toronto just to throw good money after bad unless you were a seriously cashed up organisation and can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

deluded pom?

Coach

I’m positive any new owners would want their share of the Sky money. Whether the other SL clubs can see past the end of their noses is another thing completely.

deluded pom?

Coach
The RFL and Super League really need to decide what they want to be.

Either pro expansion and growing the game, then they need to better support new growth or continue as the are and see the sport wither if clubs like Fev are ever allowed back in SL.
There is no grand expansion plan in the U.K. The thinking is live from year to year hoping to survive and get to the next season. Any expansion clubs are the result of that club coming to the RFL and asking to join the league. The RFL mull it over for five minutes and then agree, thinking pins on a map are good. The rest of the clubs then watch to see if the new entity is a threat to their existence and if it is they (the rest of the clubs) then do all they can to undermine the new club until they either fold or are reduced to the level where they are no longer a threat. Same old, same old = good. New = bad. Stagnation is the RFL’s expansion policy.

greenBV4

Bench
There is no grand expansion plan in the U.K. The thinking is live from year to year hoping to survive and get to the next season. Any expansion clubs are the result of that club coming to the RFL and asking to join the league. The RFL mull it over for five minutes and then agree, thinking pins on a map are good. The rest of the clubs then watch to see if the new entity is a threat to their existence and if it is they (the rest of the clubs) then do all they can to undermine the new club until they either fold or are reduced to the level where they are no longer a threat. Same old, same old = good. New = bad. Stagnation is the RFL’s expansion policy.
Rugby League is likely the most anti-expansionist sport in the world

taste2taste

Juniors
This is such a frustrating sport to follow.

Looking like making small inroads into Canada and it all comes undone.

The NRL decides to finally expand and they go to ..... Brisbane FFS, talk about preaching to the converted!

Then there's the lack of action taking advantage of Tonga's popularity. Maybe we could have mid season test series ? Nope, because when we put SOO on a Sunday it doesn't rate as high as Wednesday FFS !

Fiji finally getting a team is a positive but how freaking long did it take to get there!

Good luck to Ottawa and NY, hopefully they can achieve what Toronto couldn't.

deluded pom?

Coach
This is such a frustrating sport to follow.

Looking like making small inroads into Canada and it all comes undone.

The NRL decides to finally expand and they go to ..... Brisbane FFS, talk about preaching to the converted!

Then there's the lack of action taking advantage of Tonga's popularity. Maybe we could have mid season test series ? Nope, because when we put SOO on a Sunday it doesn't rate as high as Wednesday FFS !

Fiji finally getting a team is a positive but how freaking long did it take to get there!

Good luck to Ottawa and NY, hopefully they can achieve what Toronto couldn't.
Any Aussie or New Zealand born Tongans will see the writing on the wall and realise that the big three are happy to watch them slowly wither on the vine due to apathy so they can keep their place at the top and opt to play for the Kangaroos or the Kiwis. Fijians will either jump ship to union or do a Semi.

Latest posts