1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

This week Paul Jobber looks at the sacrifices made by the NZ Warriors as they prepare to head home after many long months keeping the NRL afloat by relocating to Australia, while Rob Crosby looks at the departing and retiring class of 2020 as many players make their exits. Rick's weekly finals column peaks with rankings of the top eight forward packs headed into the pointy end of the season.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 20, Super League Round 13 and Netherlands-Germany programme - and you have one fantastic 50-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 18 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Toronto Gone?

Discussion in 'English Super League' started by deluded pom?, Jul 21, 2020.

1. RedVee

RedVee First Grade

To.... ???
    I expect there will be a book on the Bradford journey

deluded pom? likes this.
  2. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

The point is they realised they had to change to increase their attendances whereas virtually every other club just carried on with the same old, same old and still do and wonder why nothing changes.

RedVee likes this.
  3. blue bags

blue bags Bench

whats the real problem , world cup soon, get your shht together , fair dinkim

4. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

David Argyle has called on Super League not to kick Toronto Wolfpack out of the competition following their decision to withdraw from the rest of the 2020 season.
    Super League executive chairman Robert Elstone told Sky Sports Newsthe competition will look at possible sanctions against the Canadian outfit, plus have conversations with both the Wolfpack and the other member clubs about their long-term plans and status in the competition.
    oronto owner Argyle believes the club are still worthy of a place in Super League for the work they have done in expanding the sport into North America, but added they now need help to continue with that.

"On the range of remedies that Super League and the RFL could look at, I think it would be short-sighted not to continue on with this wonderful platform," Argyle told Sky Sports.

"We don't have an issue with the financial challenges and obligations, what we need is some recognition. The real way forward is for us to be treated like every other Super League team.

"I think we should be full members of the RFL...and we are full members of Super League, but we don't receive any financial support through central distribution or any other benefits. That's the way it was, but it has to go forward on a better foundation.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-lea...-league-needs-a-strong-north-america-presence

5. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

'but we don't receive any financial support through central distribution'

Hmmm, this was their call and clearly they said they didnt need it and were happy to be admitted without it. I guess the Nth American TV deal they wee counting on hasnt come off. Personally I dont think any club should be in that position and the club grants should be same for all clubs (this sencario reminds me very much of the Western reds travel deal in 1995 that killed the clubs viability) but this seems just another indication that the Wolfpack business plan isnt going to plan!

6. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

There wasn’t any opportunity to get a NA tv deal as Sky had already sold the rights on.

7. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

8. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Does he really think rugby union fans are going to buy a share?

doesn’t sound good for the future.

Argyle, whose day job is as a mining and natural resources entrepreneur specializing in emerging markets, has reached deep into his investments to get the team this far. Friends and family have also pitched in.

But now there are no more assets to sell off to keep the team going.

Argyle blames himself for the team stalling this season. But he is asking for rugby lovers to take a leap of faith — with a C-note in hand.

9. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

I take it you don’t want one for Christmas PR?

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Be like buying shares in Delorean or Ansett lol

11. Pommy

Pommy Coach

Let’s be realistic no business plan is going to plan. The company I work for was ready to double its workforce in January to around 600, they’ve just had the first round of redundancies.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  12. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

I used to work in the aerospace industry.
    Why do so many people wear blinkers and ignore the pandemic and what it’s doing to economies all over the world just so they can beat up on TWP?

RedVee likes this.
  13. Pommy

Pommy Coach

I have no idea, like no home games, sponsors pulling money, no share of the TV rights. THeiR bUisneSs ModeL iS FlaWeed!!!!

No f**king shit :joy:

14. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

I wonder if anyone has told Richard Branson his business model is flawed.

15. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

16. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

17. Pommy

Pommy Coach

David argyle was interviewed on sky prior to Saints Catalans. Said everyone will get paid, club needs central funding to make a more sustainable business model given current events.

18. Pommy

Pommy Coach

Also talk of the New York bid being in talks to purchase the Wolfpack.

19. Northern

Northern Juniors

Pommy likes this.
  20. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal