What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toulouse stadium upgrade denied?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Some local residents have been upset for a while, their main objection was that their area cannot cope with "12,000 fans every week". I think we'll all be happy if that's the case TBH. I'm not sure of the French building regulations but it looks like there was some sort of independent opinion survey of residents which will be presented for consideration to the mayor of Toulouse, but AFAIK the planning permission has already been granted.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
no the uograde has not been denied, just a public commission has made public its opinion that it could create problems, in line with residents opposition that probably comissioned the report by the sounds of things. the ex-mayor approved the project and the funds. Not sure what the new mayor's position is or if he can even rollback the project. Probably I guess.

I don't know what weight these commissions have or what the next step is.

Union is powerful in these parts and probably interwoven into politics. I wouldn't be surprised if invisible forces are rallying.

Last edited:

langpark

First Grade
So this could potentially be a major setback then??

I'm sure their current set up is fine for League One, but if they start getting promoted to Championship and then SL (which is their goal), then they'll surely have to move to a new stadium if indeed the upgrade is blocked.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The mayor has changed their mind, the stadium will not be made bigger. Upgraded but maintained at 1780 seated places.

That won't do for super league.

langpark

First Grade
U freakin kidding... so what will the stadium look like (seating wise)
Here's how it currently looks.

It's not even fit for Championship, let alone Super League! They need to find a solution and fast!

1g2s2.jpg

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's a D2 RU ground, the article says that they're playing there because of renovations to their own stadium so who knows what's happening with that.

langpark

First Grade
I think it's a good move in that it's a slightly bigger and nicer looking stadium. But it is a shame that they will be paying rent their rather than using their own stadium.

I do hope it's true that renovations will start on their own stadium but i cannot help being just a bit skeptical about that.

Latest posts