What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tournament - a teams

Australia A has gone down to a rampant New Zealand A in their Top End limited overs match in Darwin.
After Victorian Brad Hodge smashed an impressive 124 off just 140 balls to help the home side to a respectable 50-over total of 7-236, New Zealand A had little trouble in reaching the target, with openers Jamie How (123 not out) and Michael Papps (64) putting on a match-winning 196-run partnership to lead their side to victory in the 41st over.
All-rounder Shane Watson gave Australia A a slim chance when he dismissed Papps and Taylor in three balls during the 35th over.

But How, who cracked 17 fours and a six, saw the visitors over the line just seven overs later as New Zealand A reached 2-239.
Earlier, Australian A's top order was knocked over cheaply as the triple-threat of Mark Gillespie (3-49), Graeme Alldridge (2-28) and Warren McSkimming (3-57) reduced the back-up national side to 5-51.

Master Vippo

Juniors
We bowled pretty crappy judging by the figures. Hopefully we'll turn it around.

Anybpdy know the quality of the grounds up there at the moment?

I wish it had been more built up.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
yeh, I knew the games were coming up, but ther had been no build up at all

isn't there other countries involved as well

Master Vippo

Juniors
Yeah, from what i heard i think its a whole bunch of 'A' teams playing. I'll look on cric-info. I hope the crowds are alright.

Australia A beaten in Top End one-dayer

Australia A suffered its second straight defeat in the Top End Cricket Series, beaten by India A by four wickets in its one-day match in Darwin on Saturday.

The home side was bowled out for just 213 inside 49 overs, frustrated by India's attack as it attempted to build momentum at TIO Stadium.
ADVERTISEMENT

Australia A's bowlers staged a courageous comeback, but in the end India A had no difficulty meeting the target, guided by Venugopal Rao who scored a half century before he was caught by wicketkeeper Brad Haddin on 55.

"It's disappointing. We obviously came up here to win our cricket games and it hasn't gone to plan at the moment," skipper Haddin said.

"We are trying a few things and with a bit of luck it will all come together over the next couple of weeks."

After winning the toss and electing to bat, Australia A appeared more focused than during its dismal eight wicket loss to New Zealand A earlier this week, but it was unable to shrug off a tight Indian attack.

Haddin said the team just didn't bat "smart".

"I think our bowling, we defended the total well, but I just don't think we batted smart today, we just lost wickets consistently at important times," he said.

"We've got good players there which will be sorted out over the next couple of days I hope.

"If it happens again it will be a problem, but I think we'll be alright."

Haddin and his second in command Brad Hodge top scored with 56 runs each, before they were both undone by Indian slow bowler Tejinder Pal Singh.

National hopeful Mark Cosgrove was run out for just one, while opener Phil Jaques survived an early catch only to be caught behind by Indian keeper Parthiv Patel on 17.

Singh was the best of the Indian bowlers, snaring three wickets for 38 runs.

India appeared always in control during its innings although Rao's dismissal at 5-151 in the 35th over kept Australia's hopes alive, and its attack tightened to considerably slow India's run rate.

However in the end Australia's 213-run innings proved too difficult to defend, and India A ended at 6-216 in the 48th over.

South Australian spin bowler Dan Cullen snapped up two wickets for 44 runs, while West Australian Brett Dorey also grabbed two wickets, for 31 runs.

Australia A faces New Zealand A (White) on Sunday in a Twenty 20 game at TIO Stadium, Darwin.