What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tournament involving NRL and ESL clubs

mameimo

Juniors
Do you think a tournament involving say the top four finishing clubs of both leagues could possibly exist where they play for a trophy or something?

ronstevo

Juniors
i reckon its a great idea. Would add a new dimension to the game and would be much more interesting than the world club challenge.

Acka

Coach
I would love to see something like that but in all honesty the logisitics of staging a competition like that would be near impossible.

I think its a good idea, woud improve quality of league on a more global level, however the season is already long enough with origin, tri-nations etc

League is a lot more strenuous on the body than soccer...

Gaba

First Grade
superleague tried this and it was a massive failure , the esl clubs were getting flogged by 40-50 points.

Dont know how it would work today ,

big_dell

Juniors
would certainly gain more interest - and will be a more fair way to determine the ebst club in the world. not sure if coaches would be too happy though.

are you suggesting top 4 after 26 rounds or the final 4 teams in the finals

DragonSanta

Juniors
How good would a Dragon Army road trip to the old Dart be! But in all seriousness, the comp is already too chocka block for the players. The only possible way would be to have it as a post season/pre season comp where the top 4 from each comp have a crack at each other and the winner is then dubbed World Club Champion.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Maybe top 3 teams from each comp. That way theres more likelihood teams will participate, and less organisation. I'd propose teams finishing like this:
NRL 1 ESL 1
NRL 2 ESL 2
NRL 3 ESL 3

Would play in a structure like this:

Game 1. NRL 2 v ESL 3
Game 2. ESL 2 v NRL 3

Game 3. Winner of Game 1 v ESL 1
Game 4. Winner of Game 2 v NRL 1

Game 5. Winners of Games 3 and 4

mameimo

Juniors
would certainly gain more interest - and will be a more fair way to determine the ebst club in the world. not sure if coaches would be too happy though.

are you suggesting top 4 after 26 rounds or the final 4 teams in the finals

Top 4 teams after 26 rounds. And Steel Dragon's proposal sounds really good.

big pat

Coach
what i would like to see is, doust making a call to browny, if they still speak, next year 1st trial game, st george vs huddersfield in perth, shown live on foxtel.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Anyhoo - I thought the whole reason they have the whole champions league deely in soccer is cos they dont tend to have a finals series.

Wouldnt having a finals and grand final negate the need for something like this?
Theoretically, the Club Championship game should prove who the best club in any given season is from the two comps.

What would it prove having the 3rd or 4th ranked team beating the actual Grand Final winners?

big pat

Coach
Anyhoo - I thought the whole reason they have the whole champions league deely in soccer is cos they dont tend to have a finals series.

Wouldnt having a finals and grand final negate the need for something like this?
Theoretically, the Club Championship game should prove who the best club in any given season is from the two comps.

What would it prove having the 3rd or 4th ranked team beating the actual Grand Final winners?

mate, you will get banned if you keep making sensible suggestions.

Acka

Coach
what i would like to see is, doust making a call to browny, if they still speak, next year 1st trial game, st george vs huddersfield in perth, shown live on foxtel.

It wouldn't be the first time an English club has gone down under for trial matches. London played Canberra in a trial in Gosford in 2002 I believe. Also Wigan won the world sevens in 1992 and I'm pretty sure Widnes participated in the 2004 sevens tournament.

Nevan_

First Grade
League is a lot more strenuous on the body than soccer...

In some ways.

Champions Leagues are to determine which club is the best club in their federation.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Great concept and would work a treat. If they did bring it out it would kill international football. It would be similar to European soccer now where the main focus is Champions League. Same is starting to happen with cricket with IPL.

If they get sponsors on board which I am sure they will they will make heaps of cash like the Champions League and IPL.

If there is a concern about too many games they could scrap the finals series and replace it with the Club Challenge Final. Play all 26 rounds then top 4 from each country play finals footbal to see who is the best in the world.

Personally I would play finals football and scrap the 4 nations or internation games they play at the end of the season. Replace them with a club challenge.

They can play NZ once a year during the season as they do now on Anzac Day. Play England in a one off test a couple of weeks before the comps start early Feb. Good warm up. And they can play an International World Cup every 4 years like they do in soccer.

If they did something like this the AFL would freak as they won't be able to do anything like it. No other country has an AFL league so they can play against. They play this hybrid type game against the Irish from memory.

Union will also be looking over their shoulder.

Won't happen, NRL to busy looking after Melbourne and changing the rules of the game every 4 weeks. NRL too busy throwing money away supporting a club in Melbourne, so goes to show they have no interest in making money. Most successful club in 4 years and they had 10 people waiting for them at the airport after they won the GF. Fair dinkum. How embarrassing. I know if any other club won it they would have roads blocked and thousands at the club 2 days later still celebrating the win.