What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TPA

Bench
Looking at clubs who are one city clubs like Storm, Broncos, Knights and raiders have an advantage over clubs in Sydney in raising TPA’s by being the only club in their city
Apart from the Rotters a lot of teams in Sydney struggle to get a TPA to even compete with the likes of the Storm
The NRL keep saying they want teams to be on a level playing field, most teams are not on the same level playing field
Should the NRL put a cap on how much a team gets in TPA
It obvious that teams like Easts can sign so many players and still be under the cap.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Walpole

Juniors
Pretty sure the NRL would be happier if some of the Sydney clubs folded or re-located, so I doubt they'll do anything to change the TPA situation. Like it or not, I would suggest the Dragons own survival is linked to being seen more as a regional (Wollongong) team.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Like it or not, I would suggest the Dragons own survival is linked to being seen more as a regional (Wollongong) team.

giphy.gif

possm

Coach
Pretty sure the NRL would be happier if some of the Sydney clubs folded or re-located, so I doubt they'll do anything to change the TPA situation. Like it or not, I would suggest the Dragons own survival is linked to being seen more as a regional (Wollongong) team.
TPA's are supposed to be at arms length of all NRL Clubs. To ensure this is the case:
  1. TPA arrangements should be organised by player managers and a department within the NRL
  2. TPA to be of a national nature not anything to do with the location of a particular club.
  3. TPA to be attached to a player and able to move with a player from club to club.
  4. TPA could be in the best interest of the NRL and marquee players, promoting both the sponsors products and services and the NRL at the same time.

Walpole

Juniors
TPA's are supposed to be at arms length of all NRL Clubs. To ensure this is the case:
  1. TPA arrangements should be organised by player managers and a department within the NRL
  2. TPA to be of a national nature not anything to do with the location of a particular club.
  3. TPA to be attached to a player and able to move with a player from club to club.
  4. TPA could be in the best interest of the NRL and marquee players, promoting both the sponsors products and services and the NRL at the same time.
Maybe Nick Politis could pay James Tedesco to play for us...

TruSaint

Referee
Looking at clubs who are one city clubs like Storm, Broncos, Knights and raiders have an advantage over clubs in Sydney in raising TPA’s by being the only club in their city
Apart from the Rotters a lot of teams in Sydney struggle to get a TPA to even compete with the likes of the Storm
The NRL keep saying they want teams to be on a level playing field, most teams are not on the same level playing field
Should the NRL put a cap on how much a team gets in TPA
It obvious that teams like Easts can sign so many players and still be under the cap.
Just my thoughts on the matter

Pretty sure the TPA system, flawed as it may be, was brought in to ensure players were not restricted in their earning capacity due to the cap. Also, limiting players switching codes or leaving abroad to make more money.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Firstly, let let me say that TPA's are a blight on our game.

Glamour clubs are always going to attract TPA's for the simple facts that (a) they are always successful appearing regularly if not always in finals football, and (b) the players who attract the large TPA's are superstars in their own right, and (c) coaches who are also successful and marketable.
We cannot attracf large TPA's simply following a, b and c above. We do not play finals football regularly, we really dont have an out and out superstar, our most marketable player is Friz imo, and coach well L plate is still ringing in the excuses faster than a child who didn't do his homework.

As far as im aware TPA's are the responsibility of the player agent, not the club. Until we become successful, change our objective of mediority, only thenbwill we be able to attract superstar players, instead of paying cap overs for "good" players.

This Year?

Immortal
Alternatively, instead of bitching and moaning wanting other clubs to come down to or level, we could set our sights higher than a suburban RSL Club and aim to be a successful, professionally run club.
So much this!

It blows my mind how strong Saints brand is, but yet cannot evolve like other clubs have. Our club used to be leaders on and off the field but now just lets itself run on auto pilot. I'm sure there are some very hard working and frustrated people in the club too,

Gareth67

First Grade
The dunderheads running the place simply have no idea when it comes to arranging TPA’s . You would think that Bruce would give them an insight into just how it is done , after all isn’t that what he had been doing quite successfully for many a year . The Joint Venture is in a slow meltdown process and it will take all and sundry with it and that includes the fans - unfortunately .

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Alternatively, instead of bitching and moaning wanting other clubs to come down to or level, we could set our sights higher than a suburban RSL Club and aim to be a successful, professionally run club.
BennyV you are right of course. Like many of your thoughtful posts you have the right solution. But surely even you would understand that this is not an even playing field. Not within the NRL and not within our Club.

There needs to be bitching and moaning from fans like the members on this forum and by SGI fans mainly because no one at SGI can be held accountable for any decisions they make or any deals they do.

BennyV

Referee
BennyV you are right of course. Like many of your thoughtful posts you have the right solution. But surely even you would understand that this is not an even playing field. Not within the NRL and not within our Club.

There needs to be bitching and moaning from fans like the members on this forum and by SGI fans mainly because no one at SGI can be held accountable for any decisions they make or any deals they do.
Of course it’s not an even playing field. But we should be the ones looking down at the peasants and laughing at their jealousy. Instead, we are the ones crying to the NRL about it not being fair.

possm

Coach
Of course it’s not an even playing field. But we should be the ones looking down at the peasants and laughing at their jealousy. Instead, we are the ones crying to the NRL about it not being fair.
I see your point but a very brave position to take. We just don't have the fire power thise days for anyone to take notice like they did in the good old days.

I can see no changes in the foreseeable future unless the fans stand up, make a lot of noise making it known to the media that changes need to be made.

ground zero

Juniors
its not all that bad folks. St George leagues club now has 15 million banked, profits its in the future kitty. next year most likely 20 million in reserves. let them make sure they are still here playing nrl in 10 years time. its all about money now.