What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transfers 2003/2004

SP

Bench
Any transfer news (and rumours/possibles) Post them here

and also in any league around the world (if known)

SP

Bench
Steve Finnan (Fulham) to Liverpool
David Seaman (Arsenal) to Manchester City
Guillaume Warmuz (Lens) to Arsenal
Marco Ambrosio (Chievo) to Chelsea
Jurgen Macho (Sunderland) to Chelsea
Michael Tarnat (Bayern Munich) to Manchester City
Steve Howey (Manchester City) to Leicester

SP

Bench
Socceroo Scott Chipperfield is being chased by a number of EPL clubs and Paris SG

bucko

Juniors
Harry Kewell has signed for 5 years with Liverpool :cry: Very sad to see him see Leeds, but at least we can make some money out of this.

weasel

First Grade
Leeds made very little money from Kewell's move in the end. Although the revealed fact that he was a Liverpool fan as a child might be used as reasoning for his move, it's still an odd decision. Not many players would snub the chance to play Champions League football, so Arsenal or Manchester United seemed much more likely destinations. Perhaps he assumed Liverpool would reach those heights again very shortly, and looking at their squad it's a fair enough assumption. Or perhaps all he was after was money :cry: . Say it ain't so Harry.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
These are the Manchester United transfers:

Out
David Beckham (Real Madrid)
Juan Sebastien Veron (Chelsea)
Laurent Blanc (released)
David May (released)
plus a few youngsters

In
Tim Howard (MetroStars)
David Bellion (Sunderland)
Eric Djemba Djemba (Nantes)

And in the last 24 hours: :p
Kleberson (???)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Sporting Lisbon)

Leeds United Transfers:

In:
Jody Morris (Chelsea)
Zoumana Camara (RC Lens)
Didier Domi (Paris St Germain)
Lamine Sakho (Olympique Marseille)

Out:
Harry Kewell (Liverpool)
Jacob Burns (Released)
Tom Newey (Released)
Shane Cansdell-Sherriff (AGF Aarhus)

nostalgia

Juniors
Raiders Champion, who cares? You put on the Harriers shirt and you run till you drop, so it doesn't matter who we sign!

I do,as do all the other Leeds fans.We may have been labelled as 1 of the pre-season favourites for relegation but against Newcastle we showed that we are still a threat to be reckoned with.Despite the loss of the likes of Kewell,Dacourt,Bowyer,Woodgate and others in recent years the replacements for this season have shone above expectations and unexpectedly gelled with the rest of the team.

We are Leeds and we are United!!! [-o<

Goodluck to the Harriers :D

Mad Dogg

Juniors
It was a fairly good performance from Leeds. I always thought that calls that they were relegation material were a bit off the mark. Despite last years disaster and the players they've lost, they should still be too good for the drop. I would expect that they'll finish higher this season than they did last.

My tip - 8th.

El Coconuto

Bench
Chelsea in the meantime have further dug into the pockets of new owner Roman Abramovich forking out £21.5 million for the signatures of Herman Crespo (Inter Milan) and Alexi Smertin (Bordeaux).

Whilst I think Crespo will automatically shift into the front-line with Adrian Mutu, I'm not too sure where Smertin will slide in along the already heavily congested midfield.

If I were Claudio Ranieri I would be playing:

Cudicini

Johnson - Terry - Gallas - Bridge

Cole - Lampard - Veron - Duff

Crespo - Mutu

Bench: Macho, Desailly, Gronkjaer, Geremi, Gudjohnson.

With the news from Holland's manager that Hasselbaink, Zenden and Melchoit should find a new club or risk being dropped from the national team, I wouldn't be surprised if Jimmy opted to move while he still could. Ranieri really has a selection drama now. I hope he handles it with care.

Come on Chelsea.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
They need Geremi in the team. He is the one that just sits back and shuts down the opponents attacking moves, allowing Lampard and Veron to rome forward all the time. Replace him with Cole and they would struggle against the likes of Man Utd, Arsenal and Newcastle. I'd leave Cole on the bench and bring him on as an impact sub around the 60 minute mark (like what we're going to do with Ronaldo).

Mad Dogg

Juniors
Reports claim Chelsea are getting very close to signing Makelele from Real Madrid.

If Real do sell him and don't get anyone to replace him, they won't win the Spanish league. There midfield will be full of pretty boys that don't like going backwards. I doubt they'll get past the quaters of the championship league unless they come up against one of the weak teams.

aqua_duck

Coach
Real's defence last season was shocking, they've done with little to improve it, they've got rid of Fernando Hierro and now Makelele, could be a potential recipe for disaster defensively for the glamour boys from the Spanish capital.

Salomon Olembe (Marseille to Leeds)
Roque Junior (AC Milan to Leeds)
Cyril Chapuis (Marseille to Leeds)
Mark Viduka (Said 'Leeds is my team' after the away win at Middlesbrough :D :

Mark Viduka has committed himself to The Whites despite his agent contacting other clubs.

On Friday, United rejected an approach from Italian giants Inter Milan to take Viduka on loan.

Viduka has finally decided to put an end to all the speculation and concede his love for Leeds.

"I love playing here," said the 27-year-old.

"It is so good because Leeds is my team. I've a three-year contract and hopefully I'm definitely staying.

"In football, though, you have to consider everything, but I was never just going to go somewhere for the sake of going.

"I like it here, I'm comfortable here and I like the Premiership as well. I am certainly in no rush to trade any of that and anyway, this is not a bad place to be right now.

"Everyone was thinking Leeds were going to struggle this year but I feel things are looking up. I honestly believe that."

Viduka, Leeds' leading scorer last season with 22 goals, put the off-field talk behind him when he netted United's late winner in the 3-2 victory away to Middlesbrough yesterday.

Paul Konchesky (Charlton to Tottenham)
Chris Perry (Tottenham to Charlton)
Claude Makelele (Real Madrid to Chelsea)
Francis Jeffers (Arsenal to Everton)
Nigel Martyn (Leeds to Everton)
Dino Baggio (Lazio to Blackburn)
Jason Roberts (West Bromwich Albion to Portsmouth)
Mark Pembridge (Everton to Fulham)
Pavel Srnicek (Brescia Calcio to Portsmouth)
Hassan Kachloul (Aston Villa to Wolves)
Christian Chivu (Ajax to Roma)
Kevin Kilbane (Sunderland to Everton)
James McFadden (Motherwell to Everton)
Neil Sullivan (Tottenham to Chelsea)
Egil Ostenstad (Blackburn to Rangers)
Steve McManaman (Real Madrid to Manchester City)
Emerson Thome (Sunderland to Bolton)
Tore Andre Flo (Sunderland to Siena)
Claudio Reyna (Sunderland to Manchester City-possibility)
Pegguy Arphexad (Former Liverpool goalkeeper to Coventry)
Paul Okon (Leeds to Vicenza)
John Carew (Valencia to Roma)
Julio Cruz (Bologna to Inter Milan)
Stephane Dalmat (Inter Milan to Tottenham)
Fernando Morientes (Real Madrid to Monaco)
Juan Roman Riquelme (Barcelona to Villarreal)
Pedro Munitis (Real Madrid to Deportivo La Coruna)
Giovane Elber (Bayern Munich to Lyon)
Carsten Jancker (Udinese to Bayer Leverkusen-possibility)
Lucien Mettomo (Manchester City to Kaiserslautern)
Boudewijn Zenden (Chelsea to Middlesbrough)
Steve Marlet (Fulham to Marseille)

Mad Dogg

Juniors
The guy that has really impressed me from Leeds is the one they seem to have got to replace Kewell. I can't remember his name, I have a feeling it starts with an 'S'. Whoever he is, he has definitely been the stand out in the two or three games I've seen.

Pennant also seems to be a fairly good talent. He's very raw and will need to improve if he's going to succeed at the top level, but you can see he has the skills. I don't know why Arsene Wenger doesn't want him at Arsenal.