What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent an option for hooker

aussies1st

Staff member
I first questioned why we had no impact hooker of the bench with Barrett there, it actually seems Bennett may use him at hooker. I haven't seen much on Barrett at hooker but if he comes of there he would be a good addition to our bench.

But Barrett can play halfback, five-eighth and centre - along with lock and hooker - to give Australia a more balanced bench.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16981580-23214,00.html

LeagueNut

First Grade
At first thought, wouldn't it be more likely for Barrett to slot into the halves and have Joey playing dummy-half?

Not that I want to give the opposition any ideas mind you ... 8-[

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Barrett would be wasted at dummy half. His is most dangerous running just wide of the ruck.

Should be five-eighth but it would seem lock is most likely.

bartman

Immortal
I reckon if NZ have the run of the game in the first half and Lockyer isn't sparking, then Barrett will be straight into five-eighth, and Mini shifted onto a wing? Buderus can do what he does for 80, but might be given a spell for Lockyer to move back to 6 at the end. I'm assuming Joey will lift massively...

JJ

Immortal
LeagueNut said:
At first thought, wouldn't it be more likely for Barrett to slot into the halves and have Joey playing dummy-half?

Not that I want to give the opposition any ideas mind you ... 8-[

Johns has hardly ever played dummy half - even when he was the Aust hooker, in attack he played half and Toovey was dummy half...

Barrett will almost certainly play as a lock and/or an option at second receiver

J.N.

Juniors
I would have loved to have Barrett have in the first test team. Because he could have easily played centre when Tahu got injured. And Trent got caught out a couple of times in the game.

Barrett is big, strong,fast, a good defender and Wayne will probably just interchange him for a second rower. And I don't think Gower did too bad of a job in the game but Barrett just offers so much more

And Lockyer is not going to get moved back to fullback in this game.

Azkatro

First Grade
Barrett is a killer when he runs with the ball and the defense is sliding. Not exactly the kind of thing the #9 takes advantage of, is it? :lol:

J.N.

Juniors
Yeah that's what I was thinking.

Keep Buderus at 9. the whole game and replace a 2nd rower with Barrett.

aussies1st

Staff member
If the Aus selectors had tried a bold move like picking Young in the starting 13 then they would have no problem with resting Buderus if needed.

Latest posts