What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett leads call for Soward

TheRev

First Grade
Most of the running Soward has done this year, has been because he knew he was supposed to run, its not because hes reading the play like he has in past seasons.

Even without his running game, Soward is still a very good player, but I definitely miss the old Sowie who used to crack the line and sprint downfield, "the fastest man over 40m" as they used to call him.

64 Dragon

Coach
Soward scored more points than the entire Dragons team - 14 as against 10. He scored a try and 5 goals. He also delivered 2 try assists.

Jamie if nothing else is a complete professional.

TruSaint, the Cutters actually played the Mounties, not Windsor.

I see Dragonbuck beat me to it. Never mind.

So what's going on here?

I didn't think he was playing too badly. Granted I've watched the dragons a total of 3 times this year (both sharks games and i went to the Souths game a couple of weeks ago)

Did he really warrant getting dropped?

And surely one player not bring in form is not the reason st George aren't doing better.

woodley_11

Juniors
Obviously never met Soward, but from all we've heard he seems like the kinda guy who would respond more favourably to a pat on the back as opposed to being dropped to reserve grade. Someone needs to show him a highlights package of his 2009/2010 form to remind him of what he can do and give him a license to take some risks.

possm

Coach
Soward misses Bennett a lot. Bennett took him under his wing and gave him personal attention. Like Boyd, Soward needs that extra attention and direction constantly. The difference between Bennett and Price is Bennett's years of experience and superior man management skills.

If anyone should have been stood down it's Hornby and that should have been done about four games into the season when Kyle was shifted to centre. It was always the case that Kyle should have been shifted to the halves with Soward. Capatain or not, Hornby should have been on the bench sharing the hooker position with Rein.

To get the best out of Soward, Price should be encouraging him and devising plays that put him into a hole. I recall a game against the Eels last year just before SOO when Soward cut the Eels to shreds stepping through holes up the middle created by Gaz on the right and Boyd on the left.

What is missing this year is that there are no smart plays that actually create holes for out key players like Creagh, Soward or Stanley to run through.

In my openion we need a player like G Stewart in the fowards and/or J Thurston in the backs to organise plays and create holes for players to sprint through.

Maybe Doust is saving all his pennies to buy the Stewart Bors. or Thurston for the 2014 season!

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Maybe Doust is saving all his pennies to buy the Stewart Bors. or Thurston for the 2014 season!
if that was the case a deal would have been done already... you dont have to wait until the end of 2013 to sign a player for 2014..
simple vision of the financial status 12 months in advance allows planning, i suspect its more a case of either:
a) not making realistic financial offers in comparison to the offers from other clubs or,
b) paying too much to retain guys like Dan Hunt thus not having a balanced salary cap to be able to recruit high profile players
c) high profile players simply not wanting to come to the dragons given we are a club going backwards..

Hutty1986

Immortal
Thurston won't leave Townsville.. I'm sure the little ref-abuser has plenty of perks on the side salary-wise going his way

Wrong.... Did you attend the game???

He had an ok game but didn't really set the world on fire. Scored a pretty good opportunist try when he caught the defence with their backs turned from a penalty and ran around 40m to score in the corner. Pretty sure he threw an ok cut out pass to a flying winger to score in the corner as well.
He also put a kick out on the full with very little pressure. He was tackled with the ball twice, one of these being directly from the start of the game. Caught the kick off and ran it up like a prop.... WTF?? Was odd.I was hoping he would relish the chance to take the line on and try and gain some confidence but sadly it didn't happen.

I was there as well and was equally amazed when he took that first kick return.
When I saw that, I thought:
" Oh Yeah! He is ready to take on the line and get physical. "

But from then on it was the usual "finesse".
Not physical.
If Price had wanted to see a "more physical" Jamie, he would have been disappointed.

He appeared to pull up OK, so that was good.
Also did a long video interview with someone(?) on the field.
Was in no hurry to get back to the rooms.

He shook hands with everybody as well - team mates and opposition.
That was also a good sign.
:lol:

Also good to see Ben Creagh and BMoz chat with Bronx, on the fence, at the end of the game.
And then walk onto field to meet up with Jamie.
At least Jamie had some support from "the team".
And the crowd!
Half the crowd came down to the fence, when he walked over to talk with friends.

As a Jamie fan - the only reason I was there - I was a little surprised to see Jamie "avoid" making tackles.
His tackling this year has been generally very good.
"aggressive" almost, at times.
But in this game he seemed to leave it to others, even when he was right there.
Surprised me.
But maybe an indication that he is not 100% sure about his back.

He certainly talked a lot - on the field.
But also seemed to show respect for the team and the captain.

What did it all prove?
Who knows - without knowing why Price did it in the first place...??...

I'd put him back in firsts.
But I'm just a crazy fan. Not the (crazy?) coach.

C'mon Pricey.
C'mon Jamie.
C'mon SGI.
Let's do it.

Happy did he play the whole game?

Yes he did.
No time out.

Pretty sure he did all of the kicking.
Conversions, line kicks (at penalty) and last tackle kicks.

I think he kicked 5 from 6 or 6 from 7.

I did not see him go down "as if injured" at any time.
The trainer did speak to him once or twice - but that may just be normal.

hod.

64 Dragon

Coach
if that was the case a deal would have been done already... you dont have to wait until the end of 2013 to sign a player for 2014..

As far as i know we have to wait till November before we can approach other clubs players. I may be mistaken, but that is what I have heard. So no deals could have been done within the rules.

Mr Red

First Grade
As far as i know we have to wait till November before we can approach other clubs players. I may be mistaken, but that is what I have heard. So no deals could have been done within the rules.
didnt all clubs have until the June 30 deadline?
otherwise how were we apparantly in discussions with Stewart, Cronk etc etc for 2013 OR 2014..
agree now the deadline has passed we cant approach players, however we had a solid 6 months to do so before the anti poaching deadline kicked in..
for example we signed Beale and Frizzell months ago...

64 Dragon

Coach
The June 30 deadline is for signing players who want to move midyear for the back part of this year and 2013, 2014 etc. The November 2012 deadline allows us to approach players for 2013 and into the future. I hope that is not confusing.

The approaches to Beale, Frizzell etc. were made after the November 2011 deadline.

DragonBuck

Juniors
Yes he did.
No time out.

Pretty sure he did all of the kicking.
Conversions, line kicks (at penalty) and last tackle kicks.

I think he kicked 5 from 6 or 6 from 7.

I did not see him go down "as if injured" at any time.
The trainer did speak to him once or twice - but that may just be normal.

hod.

I recall the general play kicking being shared a little although it would be fair to say Soward did the majority of it. Pretty sure I remember J Smith taking a couple of last play kicks and C. King kicked a 40/20??

I was also excited at the prospect of him having a real dig after that kick return and was left a little disappointed. His talk was good and was definately directing the play out in the middle. Totally agree with the comments about his defence during the game. At one point they were defending their line and he had the chance to put a shot on their centre but instead just seemed to paw at the ball carrier.

Last edited:
I recall the general play kicking being shared a little although it would be fair to say Soward did the majority of it. Pretty sure I remember J Smith taking a couple of last play kicks and C. King kicked a 40/20??

I was also excited at the prospect of him having a real dig after that kick return and was left a little disappointed. His talk was good and was definately directing the play out in the middle. Totally agree with the comments about his defence during the game. At one point they were defending their line and he had the chance to put a shot on their centre but instead just seemed to paw at the ball carrier.

thanks for clarifying the kicking DB.

And yes, that very first kick return, was strange - in that he did not do anything like that again.
Like you, I was left a little disappointed.
But I am a Jamie fan.
So want to see him back in firsts.

The team list for this weekend will be a big event.

cheers.
hod.

DragonBuck

Juniors
thanks for clarifying the kicking DB.

And yes, that very first kick return, was strange - in that he did not do anything like that again.
Like you, I was left a little disappointed.
But I am a Jamie fan.
So want to see him back in firsts.

The team list for this weekend will be a big event.

cheers.
hod.

I too have be known to defend Soward. He cops a lot of flack in a lot of circles and at times I feel I am baited with comments about him. I still am able to concede that he is currently down on form but so is the rest of the team.

Agreed, the line up will be very interesting this week. There is a lot of speculation that he may have even played his last game for the Dragons so it will be very interesting to see if he is named this week. Personally, I think he has to be there regardless of whether there has been a fallout at training a couple of weeks ago or not. 2 weeks out is more than enough punishment. It is do or die for us from here on in - that is no secret. Out of all of the possible halve combinations he adds the most to the side.

TheRev

First Grade
Last thing Sowie should be doing though is risking back injury with extra tackles or big hits... one of the reasons we did so well during 2009-2011 was Sowie stayed fit, so we had a consistent play-maker, kicker etc etc.

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
Last thing Sowie should be doing though is risking back injury with extra tackles or big hits... one of the reasons we did so well during 2009-2011 was Sowie stayed fit, so we had a consistent play-maker, kicker etc etc.

TOO TRUE ! same thing need to happen from now on ! and pricey needs to give soward a bit more attention and help like bennet did price cant be that stupid to not know that bennett helped soward alot now price should step in and stop being so lazy wow