What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRENT MERRIN - to PROP

mighty v

Juniors
Hey guys,

Just want to share some thoughts and get some feedback

Now that Price gone ,obviously going to be some team and positional changes

Always though Trent Merrin was a outstanding PROP with ball skills ,NOT a 80 min lock

The first change i would make would get him back to his proper roll at PROP ,and get us moving forward again

My instructions would be ,mate HIT IT UP ,and forget offloads for 2-3 games ,thats your role

Thoughts ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Totally agree. Probably how he will be used for NSW. Saints have a good set of back rowers why weaken the frontrow by taking the best prop at the club and play him at lock.

possm

Coach
I am convinced the playing future of both Merrin and Creagh will depend on their ability to perform the role of a good aggressive prop.

Merrin is capable of creating some great go forward and off-load opportunities as a prop; just what the current Dragon's NRL team desperately needs.

Creagh's days as a wide running backrow forward have long gone and his future is destined to be in the prop position.

Saying all of this, it would take a great coach to turn these two players into great props. Craig Young has proved to not be that sort of mentor however, I'm sure a coach like Bennett would get the job done.

It will be very interesting to see how McGregor addresses our go forward problems.

Mr Red

First Grade
yes yes yes!
although some would argue that both lock and prop are "middle" players now i think he needs to be moved back more for him to get the right mindset.
at lock he seems to think this gives him more permission to be fancy, and his error rate has increased..
at prop its a clear message that he needs to toughen up and do the hard stuff first before getting fancy.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Hey guys,

Always though Trent Merrin was a outstanding PROP with ball skills ,NOT a 80 min lock

The first change i would make would get him back to his proper roll at PROP ,and get us moving forward again

My instructions would be ,mate HIT IT UP ,and forget offloads for 2-3 games ,thats your role

Thoughts ?

I agree.....I thought I read somewhere he and Price were great mates....if he remained a great mate I doubt Merrin was unhappy playing lock then...if you get my drift

Jim Dragons

Juniors
And then it releases JDB to do the back up and decoy runs and do the dirty tackling work that he seems to love from "lock" - agree both are Middles but there is that thought pattern of take the ball forward or work... however l would tell Merrin to still look for off loads like Weyman did - maybe to get the point home the Army could display an "Everybody love Merrin" with Weyman crossed out. Then Creagh really needs to lead from First Hit Up with quick play the balls and NO Errors.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Its a Yes Yes Yes from me.

Mary (anybody) will be better than Price.

Very happy with the news. Things can only improve.

TruSaint

Referee
Hey guys,

Thoughts ?

One of the reasons Merrin made an impact years ago was his offload.
He's a tough boy, can hit the line hard, carry players and get a pass away.
Yes he will make errors, I can live with that. All great players do.

To restrict his play is a mistake IMO.

Sure he can be more selective, but he has a step and an offload, both crucial.
He is not a battering ram (solely), and would be wasted in that role.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With a little bit of tweaking in selections such as Merrin at Prop, JDB at lock, Joel Thompson at 2nd row, Runciman or Mat'atui (whatever his name is) at centre and Witt to play hooker rotation role with Rein. and things will look better. Better still start with Witt at hooker and bring Rein from the bench. Similar to what role Fein should have been playing last year instead of No.7 hence why Rein has gone backwards.

TruSaint

Referee
With a little bit of tweaking in selections such as Merrin at Prop, JDB at lock, Joel Thompson at 2nd row, Runciman or Mat'atui (whatever his name is) at centre and Witt to play hooker rotation role with Rein. and things will look better. Better still start with Witt at hooker and bring Rein from the bench. Similar to what role Fein should have been playing last year instead of No.7 hence why Rein has gone backwards.

I do like your option at 9.
JDB is a lock... Period.
Thompson looks like heading home.
If we get the big bopper from the Raiders, and Stockwell comes good I would be pleased.
Runciman must get a crack at some stage.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Will be interesting, would not surprise me to see no changes, just an attitude change that tends to come with new coach.

AdamStoy

Juniors
This'd be what I would do:
8. Groat (if fit) we need a big fat monster, even if he plays 30 minutes a game.
9. Rein (50 Minutes only, he is really sharp at the start)
10. Merrin
11. Frizell/Ah Mau
12. Creagh
13. De Belin
14. Witt (30 Minutes a game)
15. Stockwell
16. Ah Mau/Frizell
17. Hunt/Cooper/Thompson (does he even want to play with us anymore)

Country Dragon

Juniors
This'd be what I would do:
8. Groat (if fit) we need a big fat monster, even if he plays 30 minutes a game.
9. Rein (50 Minutes only, he is really sharp at the start)
10. Merrin
11. Frizell/Ah Mau
12. Creagh
13. De Belin
14. Witt (30 Minutes a game)
15. Stockwell
16. Ah Mau/Frizell
17. Hunt/Cooper/Thompson (does he even want to play with us anymore)

Surely Cooper and Thompson deserve a start before most of that pack?

pinkmoon

Juniors
Honestly, it's just a number on Merrin's back. Unless he is used on the fringes, he will play the same role regardless of whether he has a 8, 10, or 13 on his back. You play up the middle or you play on the edges, it's not complicated.