What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Each supporter reacts differently Mark.

Over 4 decades here as well, but its hard to recall ( and we have some tough times ), a period of incompetence such as the past 8 years or so. The 80's were tough yet we managed a GF, and then 7 years later played in two against the Bronc's.

If this was 2-3 poor years after the 2011 season, I would say " give the board time ". That grace period has passed.
I was indoctrinated as a fan from birth, so that's nearly 40 years for 1 win. Never even got to see St George win one. That 11 in a row is a distant memory, and something that probably we hang our hats on a bit too much. Fact is we have sucked for a long long time, and besides 2010 have never been the best team in the comp my whole life. Those two in a row vs Brisbane we were without a doubt the second best team in the comp but Brisbane always had it over us back then. Even in 2010 there is that elephant in the room that Melbourne didn't play that year. The 99 side was probably one of the best sides I've seen us field. Beat Melbourne twice in the regular season and once week one of the finals only to lose in the last play of the game. I think we need to all come to terms with the fact we support an underdog side that doesn't even look like becoming a Roosters, Brisbane, Melbourne at their heyday and enjoy the odd times we punch above our weight, otherwise known as doing a Merrin...

Wittenberg

Juniors
Looking forward to the game when we have Merrin, Graham and Luke on the field at the same time.They nearly have 100 years between them. Red wine gets better with age, modern forwards unfortunately don’t. That said and done I wish Trent well.

Gareth67

First Grade
I also had a read of today’s Tele. about how the Tigers have become more professional in their approach to recruitment. In this particular case the article was about how they pulled their offer from Latrell Mitchell - where is this heading I can hear you all saying ?

Well apparently the Tigers were regarded as “ one of the superannuation clubs , but are no more “ .

I therefore wonder if the mighty St.George Illawarra joint venture are classed in that elite group of clubs who pay overs for players who are at the finishing-post end of their careers - a super club indeed we are .

getsmarty

Immortal
Trent Merrin returns to NRL with Dragons as Matt Prior signs with Leeds
Dragons Den
r0_199_3888_2592_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Old mates: Trent Merrin and Matt Prior at the Dragons in 2010. Picture: Sylvia Liber
They were premiership heroes with St George Illawarra in 2010.

On Saturday, it was announced Thirroul junior Matt Prior would replace Trent Merrin at UK Super League club Leeds.

The move means Merrin would finally seal a return to the Dragons following lengthy discussions in the wake of Jack de Belin being stood down under the NRL's 'no-fault' policy while facing rape allegations and the exit of second-rower Luciano Leilua.

Shellharbour junior Merrin, 30, played 133 games for the Dragons in seven seasons, earning NSW State of Origin honours, before moving to Penrith in 2016.

"Trent could've jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he's that excited to come back to the Dragons," club recruitment manager Ian Millward said.

"Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he'd love to come home; an opportunity for this has since come up after the club granted Luciano his requested release.

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money."

Prior won a second NRL premiership with the Sharks in 2016.

Sharks coach John Morris said they reluctantly allowed Prior to leave.

"We didn't really want to lose a player of Matt's ability, character and experience, but with the restraints we are operating under due to our salary cap fine, we've had to let players go who we would have otherwise liked to keep," Morris said.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...to-dragons-as-prior-signs-with-leeds/?cs=3713

merrint-15041709.jpeg

DRAGONS

Merrin returns to the Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 06:45 AM

Veteran forward Trent Merrin will return to the St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

Merrin has signed a two-year deal and will remain at the club until at least the end of 2021.

Merrin debuted for the Red V in 2009 and spent seven seasons with the club where he amassed 133 NRL games, including the club's 2010 grand final victory against the Sydney Roosters.

The Shellharbour Sharks junior spent a further three seasons at the Penrith Panthers before venturing abroad last year to play for English Super League outfit Leeds Rhinos.

The now 30-year-old has played 13 Origins for New South Wales and seven Tests for Australia across his 11-year first grade career.

Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward confirmed Merrin would take Luciano Leilua's vacated spot in the Dragons' Top 30.

Leilua recently requested and has today been granted a release from the final year of his contract.

"Trent could've jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he's that excited to come back to the Dragons," Millward said.

"Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he'd love to come home; an opportunity for this has since come up after the club granted Luciano his requested release.

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money.

"Trent brings plenty of experience to the Dragons' forward pack and is someone who is really passionate and can't wait to put the Red V back on."

Merrin's signature follows news of Issac Luke's arrival at the Dragons in another boon of experience for the Red V.

"We expect everyone to step up and improve vastly on their performances from last year," Millward said.

"Trent will be a player who will hit the ground running straight away. He's a confident player who will be very good around the group as far as his demeanour is concerned.

"Along with Issac (Luke), he'll bring a wealth of experience. Both players have played at the highest level and played in premiership-winning seasons."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/30/merrin-returns-to-the-dragons/
Onya Mez

to_ddeath

Coach
He may wear it with pride but the question remains...why the f**k are these decisions made to begin with?
No forward planning about it...2 years & off he probably goes again.
Short-sighted thinking is rife at the joint, to not question it is being wilfully ignorant.
I wish Trent the best but I’m not holding my breath over what’s ahead...

SnowDragon

Juniors
I’ll try to remain positive. Merrin was a class player, and if they got a good deal, and he returns home and to form, he will be fantastic for us.
True, Luc was just coming into his own, and has huge potential, but his lateral D wasn’t great, and he may have gotten frustrated in this pack (still not a starter for us). In addition, there was always the chance to not realise his potential or even drop down to laziness etc. Next 2 years with Trent are good, it’s the longer term I worry about, but if he had decided to leave anyway I think this is a good result!

rasaint

Juniors
There are plus and minus.

Luc will continue to be a 1st grader no doubt, play the occasional great game but probably not reach the heights many predict. Luc will be 24 this season so whilst young I don’t go in for this ‘ late bloomer’ type theory. The tip top new comers like Fifita, Haas etc already hit their straps by 21 or younger. Wish Luc well.

Merrin will go pretty well. Never was a standout with us or Panthers ( where he got his big play day) but strong and can hit up and defend stoutly. I think he is a prop.

No right or wrong here in my view. Anyway, we will be the wiser after 2020.

The calm one

Juniors
I don't know what goes on behind the scenes but must be something or someone upsetting Lucky. How bloody sad not very tolerant the Dragons maybe he was just starting to grow into his big body and we piss him off.
Don't believe a word printed there. Bad literature breeds there. Stay calm

possm

Coach
I’ll try to remain positive. Merrin was a class player, and if they got a good deal, and he returns home and to form, he will be fantastic for us.
True, Luc was just coming into his own, and has huge potential, but his lateral D wasn’t great, and he may have gotten frustrated in this pack (still not a starter for us). In addition, there was always the chance to not realise his potential or even drop down to laziness etc. Next 2 years with Trent are good, it’s the longer term I worry about, but if he had decided to leave anyway I think this is a good result!
It should always have been Merrin for Graham and Leilua to be retained. The combined salary cap of De Belin and Graham would be nearly enough to cover Luke, Merrin and Leilua.

possm

Coach
Our best NRL prop rotation should be:

Vaughan
Merrin
K Sims
Kerr

Depending on wha happens to De Belin. If De Belin becomes unavailable, then Merrin to 13 and a rotation of:

Vaughan
Kerr
K Sims
Graham/Laurie

I suggest it is possible that Graham will retire on medical grounds.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Our best NRL prop rotation should be:

Vaughan
Merrin
T Sims
Kerr

Depending on wha happens to De Belin. If De Belin becomes unavailable, then Merrin to 13 and a rotation of:

Vaughan
Kerr
T Sims
Graham/Laurie

I suggest it is possible that Graham will retire on medical grounds.
T.Sims is not a prop

Belta

Juniors
From memory Korbin not Tariq was more so used as a prop rotation, but Tariq could of had a few games there.

Im hoping Merrin is bought as a prop rotation but in the ESL footage I’m sure he was wearing number 11. I think most agree we have a good lot of backrowers.

He may wear it with pride but the question remains...why the f**k are these decisions made to begin with?
No forward planning about it...2 years & off he probably goes again.
Short-sighted thinking is rife at the joint, to not question it is being wilfully ignorant.
I wish Trent the best but I’m not holding my breath over what’s ahead...
Well to be fair he propably only has 2yrs in him left!!!

Old Timer

Coach
Thank you for the examination Dr Freud, but I’m not exactly sure what you find so offensive about that post.

Perhaps you should read the full interaction my friend.

I asked a simple question about Leilua as he has always been talked up about being an edge forward, not a prop. On topic, no malice, no trolling.

Frank’s response was completely uncalled for and rather defensive.
We aren’t talking about Frank’s response we are talking about yours
You claim to be a clean skin in all ways and you love to show how others post inappropriately
I have clearly shown how you clearly state someone was talking shut and had been caught out which is clearly not the case
He just failed to answer your perfectly legitimate question which in the end frustrated you into an outburst which is so often the response you invoke from others.
The difference being you want to call them out for it so just for once acknowledge your part in the calamity instead of trying to rationalise that everyone else but you is to blame