What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 1 Mar :: Knights 26 Sharks 24 @ Cessnock, NSW

NthKnight

Sheros los Deros said:
I think both squads are weak and lack depth. Also I think Stuart and Smith are below par coaches.

And whom do you support mate? How have they gone in the 08 trials?

NthKnight said:
And whom do you support mate? How have they gone in the 08 trials?

I support the Sharks. I tipped them to come 10th last year, and I expect them to do worse this year.

Stuart only did well at the Roosters becuase he had Fittler and top squad of players. Brian Smith is as divisive poison to a club's chances as Chris Anderson was at the Sharks.

Bicey_18

Bench
Sheros los Deros said:
I support the Sharks. I tipped them to come 10th last year, and I expect them to do worse this year.

Stuart only did well at the Roosters becuase he had Fittler and top squad of players. Brian Smith is as divisive poison to a club's chances as Chris Anderson was at the Sharks.

Your opinion but we still have a number of players to come back into our side... Smith is exactly what we need and is doing what needed to be done by getting rid of the deadwood.

NthKnight

Sheros los Deros said:

Cant agree with you regarding Smith mate. We have never looked stronger depth wise and while not likely to crack the 8 this year, we have a gret set up for 09 onwards. Smith has trouble winning titles but is great at fixing clubs and preping tham to produce great future sides. Just ask Hagan how good a junior base he left at Parra

Ausguy

Coach
guys it was a trial.... we couldnt care less if we won 48-0. i swear i hate trials all together.... only thing worse is no having to wait 2 weeks before the season starts... wats the point of trials if u have a 2 week gap before the season is on... defeats the purpose...

Bicey_18 said:
Your opinion but we still have a number of players to come back into our side... Smith is exactly what we need and is doing what needed to be done by getting rid of the deadwood.

Well good luck, I hope the Knights prove me wrong.

However, a lot of Sharks supporters thought Anderson was doing what needed to be done at the Sharks in 2002. He ripped the heart out of club, and we haven't recovered. I fear that Smith is doing the same at the Knights. He seems to be a similar personality to Anderson.

Apey

Staff member
It was indeed only a trial, but I hope our defence picks up by the season beginning :fist:

Ausguy

Coach
NthKnight said:
Cant agree with you regarding Smith mate. We have never looked stronger depth wise and while not likely to crack the 8 this year, we have a gret set up for 09 onwards. Smith has trouble winning titles but is great at fixing clubs and preping tham to produce great future sides. Just ask Hagan how good a junior base he left at Parra

parra always had a good junior base.... i dont think brian smith is the reason for that....
anyway good luck to your knights.... every team is gonna need luck to beat melbourne this year anyway.

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
Newcastle have scored a dramatic 26-24 NRL trial win over the Cronulla Sharks at Cessnock Sports Ground.

The Knights overcame a 20-point second-half deficit to grab the win - albeit against the Sharks' second string line-up - in a penalty-laden and sometimes scrappy affair.

Trailling 24-4 four minutes into the second half, Newcastle rattled four unanswered tries, including a double to rookie Junior Fau, who scored the match winner in the 73rd minute.

But Cronulla nearly snatched victory after the siren when lower grader Grant Millington forced a grubber kick, only for the backrower to be ruled offside by referee Shayne Hayne.

Sharks coach Ricky Stuart replaced most of his first-team regulars at the break with an inexperienced line-up after his side had put together an impressive performance to lead 18-4 at halftime.

Returning Cronulla captain Paul Gallen, who missed the Sharks' first trial through injury, played the majority of the first stanza and was replaced uninjured.

Cronulla recovered from their 44-point drubbing at the hands of Souths last weekend with a more resolute defensive performance, holding the Knights to a solitary try to Kurt Gidley in the first half.

It was an error-prone Newcastle who looked defensively suspect on occasions, giving up a number of soft tries in a flat first-half performance before knuckling down late.

Playing without regular first graders Greg Bird (hamstring), Luke Covell (elbow) and fullback Brett Kearney (hip), it took the Sharks just three minutes to cross the Knights line through Misi Talaupapa.

Newcastle hit back through Gidley in the 22nd minute but the Sharks scored three tries in 10 minutes through Brett Seymour, David Simmons and Brett Kimmorley.

After Stuart's halftime substitutions and an early second-half try to the Sharks' Reece Williams, a Jarrod Mullen-inspired Newcastle charged home.

Mullen crossed in the 56th minute and then laid on four-pointers for Fau and Gidley to make it 24-22 before Fau's match-winner with seven minutes remaining.

SOURCE: http://news.smh.com.au/knights-steal-2624-win-against-cronulla/20080301-1w5a.html

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Choke, choke, choke from the Sharkies it seems ;-)

Yes, it was only a trial and means nothing, but a win's a win tbh :cool:

lolesi

First Grade
Jobdog said:
Choke, choke, choke from the Sharkies it seems ;-)

Yes, it was only a trial and means nothing, but a win's a win tbh :cool:

Not to dissapointed, 24-4 with our main team on is a good sign, would of been worried if it was the main core of our team still on during the comeback..

Frederick

Staff member
Inferno said:
Anyone know how the lower grades went?
Five Out of Five for Knights

Saturday, 1 March 2008 - Newcastle Knights

The Knights scored a clean sweep today with match results, winning all five of their matches played.

At the trial games held at Cessnock the Knights NYC side defeated the Sharks 28-24, NSW Cup Central Knights defeated the Sharks 30-16 and in NRL the Knights came from behind to narrowly defeat the Sharks 26-24.

Meanwhile at EnergyAustralia Stadium our junior sides took on the Wests Magpies with Harold Matthews coming out 48-26 victors and SG Ball 46-28.
LINK

Latest posts