What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL :: 15 Feb :: Storm 56 Sea Eagles 10 @ Gosford, NSW

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Storm wipeout Sea Eagles
By Steve Jancetic
February 15, 2008

MELBOURNE picked up in 2008 where they left off last season, the reigning NRL premiers far too strong for Manly 56-10 in their opening trial at Bluetongue Stadium.

While the match carried nothing near the weight of their previous clash in last year's grand final, it was a similar story with the Storm warming up for their World Club Challenge clash against Leeds in a fortnight with a dominant display.

The Storm leave for England on Monday injury free and ready for a crack at the Rhinos, while the best news for the Sea Eagles was that they too emerged unscathed from a match played over three 30 minute periods.

All the first third showed was that Melbourne's depth is better than Manly's, both sides sending out reserve outfits as the Storm raced in 20 unanswered points.

The Storm did have a couple of ring-ins playing with the back-up boys though with skipper Cameron Smith and Queensland Origin prop Antonio Kaufusi having a run.

Kaufusi was playing his first game following a knee reconstruction midway through 2007 while Smith was kept out of the main group because he is unavailable for the WCC due to the impending birth of his first child.

It took the Storm just 50 seconds to go over for their first via flying fullback Jade Williams and another three followed in what resembled little more than a training run before both sides sent out their top tier players for the second 30 minutes.

The Sea Eagles looked far more impressive in the second period, though former Wigan centre David Vaealiki looked like he had lost a yard or three of pace following his stint in the English Super League with the Kiwi three-quarter unable to finish the job when put into the clear by halfback Matt Orford.

Both sides crossed for a brace of tries to see the Storm take a 32-10 lead into the last third, the final period highlighted by a massive hit from Melbourne backrower Sam Tagataese on Manly youngster Jeff Robson and a double to Storm fullback Billy Slater.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23221444-23214,00.html

innsaneink

Referee
Jatz Crackers said:
:lol: at all the fools trying to make mileage points off a trial game. Very sad indeed.

Trying? No need to TRY

Look at the score dingbat.

79772501.jpg

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?EventId=79598976

Harold Bishop

Juniors
Just got back from the game.
Stewy bros, Matai, King, Lyon and Afamasaga didnt play.

Des only played most of the top team for small periods, which i thought was a waste of a trial. Playing guys like Kite, Orford, Bell, Choc and Beaver for only 20 mins.

Josh Perry was probably Manlys best, which wasn't saying much. Ballin was also very strong.
Vaeliki is rubbish i reckon Jason King is faster. Suinila is also garbage.
Hargreaves was smashing blokes in defense and although its too early to get carried away, i can definetly understand the comparisons to SBW.
I thought James Mortimer was the best player in PL at 5/8th and would rate him above Robson and Halden based on today.

t-ba

Post Whore
philstorm said:
... how about the Storm players?

Who looked good?

Matty Geyer is trying to grow enough tumbleweeds for a combover. Cut quite the dashing figure.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
A darker bloke playing out in the centre or 2nd row. Big Fuzzy blonde hair.
Big, fast, strong hits like a mack truck.

Liam Foran looks the goods. Still a bit green but i reckon is 1st grade material.

Didn't really have any other stand outs, as the team was a lot of 1st graders.
Most of your team played like they did last year. Freaking good. Billy Slater scored 2 or 3.

Earl

Coach
philstorm said:
... how about the Storm players?

Who looked good?

In the first third Kaufusi in his first game since Origin 1 was great. And I thought Russ Aitken was one of the picks from the last 2 thirds.

Latest posts