What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial 2 - Rabbitohs vs Panthers: Saturday 23rd February 6:00pm @Redfern Oval

Curns13

Juniors
Great to see the red and green running around again. To me, this game is the start of the season, so I have come out of hybernation. Can’t wait for the year ahead. Is it just me or did Tatola look considerably bigger? Liked what I saw from Junior. Good 2nd quarter with our stars on the field, 8 - 0 when it was most competitive. BRING ON 2019!!

southsport

First Grade
Great to see the red and green running around again. To me, this game is the start of the season, so I have come out of hybernation. Can’t wait for the year ahead. Is it just me or did Tatola look considerably bigger? Liked what I saw from Junior. Good 2nd quarter with our stars on the field, 8 - 0 when it was most competitive. BRING ON 2019!!
Tatola looked bulked up to me too.

ThingFish

Juniors

Was a great day, despite the torrential rain. 4100 braved the wet. Hats off to all the fans that stuck it out in the open air areas.

Yeah Tatola is huge, dropped a couple early on but had impact during his stint. Campbell Graham also is beefier than last year.

Amone is a beast, the only player WB gave three stints to. Pulled of a tackle on a RCG in full flight that stopped him in his tracks. Pulled of some great ball returns. On the side lines it looks like Sammy has taken him under his wing.

Kyle Turner was a machine while he was on.

Billy Brittain is a little live wire.

Our Harold Matts side is something special. I reckon they looked bigger than the SG Ball side.

In his pre match interview GI promised he’d be right for round 1. During the pre match catch the bomb competition the machine packed it in. So GI put up the bombs himself, 9 out of 10 on the spot. Also during that interview the president of the Juniors introduced GI as Fatso to the laughter of the crowd. As I said he looks great and was even in skinny jeans.

Only injury I could pick was Billy Brittain with probably a broken nose, and for some reason after his 2nd try Gagan was rushed up the tunnel.

Top day out.

callmack1

Staff member
Disappointing result for Sutto's testimonial but I think it wasn't too bad and I guess that's the beauty of trials, apart from the Charity Shield, the result doesn't really matter.

I reckon the boys did okay considering it was our young guys against a good Penrith side for about 60 minutes and they did well to somewhat keep up with a side that had more first graders for most of the game. Yes, we conceded 28 points, but it should really have been more with how much posession and field position the Panthers had in that second half but our young blokes put in some great defence to absorb the pressure and turn them away. We did crack eventually but I think our young guys did well to hold out that long. In saying that, the second half was fairly average, we did just make too many errors and didn't really give ourselves a chance which was really disappointing.

When the first grade guys were on, we were a completely different side and looked brilliant in tricky conditions. The intensity rose a lot, we rolled through the middle well and everything looked a lot more crisp. That second try to Gagan was just beautiful to watch. I found myself wondering why Wayne elected to not play any of the first graders in the second half as I reckon we certainly could have beaten Penrith with them but I guess it's a fair call to just avoid injuries and then give the Charity Shield a red-hot crack. It's just a matter of what could have been in Sutto's testimonial as we did look good with the stronger side.

My stand outs for the day were Hawkins, Tatola (despite a couple of errors) and Graham. But I must say, all the first grade guys that played looked good. It was especially good to see Sam heavily involved on that right edge and I hope that trend continues into the season.

So yea, not the greatest of results on Sutto's day but I actually think it was a good effot from the young boys and it is just a trial after all.

ThingFish

Juniors
Disappointing result for Sutto's testimonial but I think it wasn't too bad and I guess that's the beauty of trials, apart from the Charity Shield, the result doesn't really matter.

I reckon the boys did okay considering it was our young guys against a good Penrith side for about 60 minutes and they did well to somewhat keep up with a side that had more first graders for most of the game. Yes, we conceded 28 points, but it should really have been more with how much posession and field position the Panthers had in that second half but our young blokes put in some great defence to absorb the pressure and turn them away. We did crack eventually but I think our young guys did well to hold out that long. In saying that, the second half was fairly average, we did just make too many errors and didn't really give ourselves a chance which was really disappointing.

When the first grade guys were on, we were a completely different side and looked brilliant in tricky conditions. The intensity rose a lot, we rolled through the middle well and everything looked a lot more crisp. That second try to Gagan was just beautiful to watch. I found myself wondering why Wayne elected to not play any of the first graders in the second half as I reckon we certainly could have beaten Penrith with them but I guess it's a fair call to just avoid injuries and then give the Charity Shield a red-hot crack. It's just a matter of what could have been in Sutto's testimonial as we did look good with the stronger side.

My stand outs for the day were Hawkins, Tatola (despite a couple of errors) and Graham. But I must say, all the first grade guys that played looked good. It was especially good to see Sam heavily involved on that right edge and I hope that trend continues into the season.

So yea, not the greatest of results on Sutto's day but I actually think it was a good effot from the young boys and it is just a trial after all.
Good wrap up mate. I think WB put the first team back in the holsters at half time because of the conditions. After 3 games in torrential rain the ground was pretty dug up. He probably saw Kikau get carried off for Penrith. Plus in his interview at halftime of the 20s he basically said he was just looking for completion rates and no injuries, and he doesn’t care about scores in trial matches. Would be interesting to know the completion rate, didn’t seem too bad considering the conditions. I must say I was also impressed by AJ’s effort at FB.

The other thing was that in the 4th quarter we had at least 3-4 guys with no numbers on their jerseys. I don’t know if they were NSWCup players or what.

PS: Next week will be the real indicator. Bring on the Charity Shield.

callmack1

Staff member
It might just be because I am biased, but surely I'm not the only one who thought we were a little hard done by in this game by the refs? Penrith were constantly offside and there was a few strange calls against us.

GloryGlory

Juniors
Given that
(1) all you have to do on our left edge is run into the whole that Cody genius has created and
(2) Jacob Gagan looks like the peptides from his time at Cronulla have finally kicked in (it's a joke - but how ripped did he look!!!)

the decision to let Jennings go is a master stroke. Between AJ/Allen, Burns and Gagan I am sure we will find an easy replacement on that side that will top the try count in 2019

Latest posts