What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRIAL: Bulldogs 14-16 Dragons - Sat 20 Feb @ Wollongong

Ridders

Coach
According to this SMH article, we were too good for you guys

Bulldogs too good for listless Dragons
STEVE JANCETIC

February 20, 2010 - 9:44PM

AAP
So this is why they play trials.
St George Illawarra and Canterbury, the two teams that finished one and two on the ladder at the end of last year's NRL regular season, produced a lacklustre exhibition of rugby league which the Dragons won 16-14 thanks to a try on the bell at WIN Stadium on Saturday night.
Jamal Idris's second half double - the first coming with his first touch of the ball - looked like it had done enough to secure victory for the visitors only for Joe Vickery to cross out wide for the home side with less than a minute left on the clock.
Bronx Goodwin then secured the win with a conversion from wide out but the thrilling finish belied a poor match dominated by dropped ball and a plethora of penalties.
Both sides sent out near full-strength sides for the opening stanza but the game more resembled something you would find in park football given the litany of basic errors on display.
The highlight of the first half was actually a lowlight, with Peni Tagive, who came to the Dragons after two injury-plagued years with Wests Tigers, suffering a suspected torn cruciate ligament which could sideline him for the year.
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett could have been excused for sending the same players that played the first half back out there for another attempt at playing some decent football but he stuck to the script with a new side in new jumpers coming out after the break.
Matt Prior, who played the first half in the front row, was sent out in the centres to replace Tagive where he was marking up against 2009 rookie of the year Idris who had sat on the bench for the opening half.
It didn't take long for Idris to make his mark as he brushed past Prior for the game's first points in the 45th minute, Heka Nanai extending the lead shortly after.
Michael Lett made it 8-4 when he raced 70m after picking up a loose ball, but a spectacular bust from Ben Hannant found Idris in support as the Dogs again kicked away.
A Jon Green try 13 minutes from time revived the hopes of the home fans, their optimism justified when Vickery crashed through several defenders.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/bulldogs-too-good-for-listless-dragons-20100220-omsn.html

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
According to this SMH article, we were too good for you guys
Left hand, right hand etc....

It's an AAP feed. No doubt used the same headline that was prepared at half time.

The most recent headline swaps the team names around and removes the word 'listless'.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
What's this "Dragons second XIII" in the second half? Most of the 'Dogs key men were off the field after abour 50-60 minutes as well.

Good trial, looked like they all got a lot of the cobwebs out hopefully... can't wait for R2.

richies

Juniors
I thought there on there line was solid I thought the dogs defence at the solid especially with barba there

Last edited:

thommo4pm

Coach
What's this "Dragons second XIII" in the second half? Most of the 'Dogs key men were off the field after abour 50-60 minutes as well.

Good trial, looked like they all got a lot of the cobwebs out hopefully... can't wait for R2.

You had a 1st grade squad on the field in the second half against what was basically our U/20's or a team that will see next to no 1st grade this year.
Dan Hunt & Matt Prior (who was playing centre) were the only regular first graders out there, until Nightingale came on with 15mins left....and Prior went off then.

thommo4pm

Coach
I was sitting right behind your bench literally....3 rows back, so yes I saw your bench....and saw all the comings and goings of your players.

As I said, Patten & Kimmorley didn't take the field at in the second half, everyone else played for you guys at some stage in the second half.....in comparison for the Dragons -
Boyd
Morris
Tagive - injured
Soward
Hornby
Weyman
Creagh
Smith
Fien
Young
Emmett

all played no part in our second half at all.
Along with Cooper & Scott not playing at all.

Acknowledge that you guys took players on and off, and had different combos going, but you had a first grade squad against our U/20's in the second half.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Fair call, just won't cop assertions we had our top team out there all night when we definitely didn't.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
lol @ anyone who thinks results matter, no matter what team was fielded.

I'm just glad that it appears we came out injury free.

ByRd

First Grade
Good hit out for both sides, i know im a Dogs fan but i feel for Tagive, thats terrible news.