What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial: Eels v Dragons game day thread Feb 20 2022

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
With Dunster out do we move Blake to the wing and put either Opacic or Niukore in the centers? I’m not sold on Russell yet.
Niukore is a f**king slug defending out wide. That Dragons centre made him look like he was standing still.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Ogden had nothing to play for unlike Makatoa,Kafusi,Stone and Rodwell. All are a chance for that empty two spots for rnd one with Marata suspended.
He had 10 weeks or so in NSW cup before he is eligible for NRL. Was there much purpose for him to bust his guts and not take it as a training run?
Not just that, but Ogden's strength is running the ball and during his time on the field all we did was f**king tackle. Junior Paulo would've had a quiet game as well.
I reckon Greig has the jump on all of them btw. Starting to think Hollis might as well.
I'm excited about Greig. Kaufusi is in for a big year too, f**k his eyes.

Gronk

Staff member
Why is this the smart move ?
Wingers these days need to bend the line on tackle 2/3 and not get rag-dolled on kick returns. I’m not sure if Sean can be that guy, considering that this is a full season (not a game or two) change.

hindy111

Post Whore
Wingers these days need to bend the line on tackle 2/3 and not get rag-dolled on kick returns. I’m not sure if Sean can be that guy, considering that this is a full season (not a game or two) change.

It would be till rnd 10-12 till Sivo is back..
You need one powerfull winger. If you have strong centres they can always hit it up also.
Was Josh Ado Carr powerfull?
Alex Johnston?
Plenty of excellent wingers who lack power.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Russell would be much better suited to centre, rather than wing, but then there is team balance and all that

Gronk

Staff member
It would be till rnd 10-12 till Sivo is back..
You need one powerfull winger. If you have strong centres they can always hit it up also.
Was Josh Ado Carr powerfull?
Alex Johnston?
Plenty of excellent wingers who lack power.
Agree, but TBH I don’t hold much hope in Sivo getting back to his best, as I thought that he was on a decline before his injury.

Also, I’m not saying that Russell would be dominated Bevan French style, it’s just a long term best option thing.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Agree, but TBH I don’t hold much hope in Sivo getting back to his best, as I thought that he was on a decline before his injury.

Also, I’m not saying that Russell would be dominated Bevan French style, it’s just a long term best option thing.

Russell is a bigger body then French.

French is 86kg, 181 cm, Russell is 188cm / 90kg and still only 19….still got a few kgs to go..

and Russell has already shown he runs it back harder then French ever did…..

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I wouId pick Russell but interestingly in the trial he made 7 runs for 68m yet only 6 PCM, which isn’t great .

For comparison:

Simonson 5 runs for 45m, 17 PCM

Penisini 2 runs for 17m, 7 PCM

Opacic 8 runs for 92 m, 31 PCM

Naiduki 8 runs for 66m, 24 PCM

Komolafe 7 runs for 98m, 31 PCM

However we do have 2 centres in Blake / Penisini who can easily make 100 plus metres a game. I like the genuine speed Russell adds, he is willing to run it back hard and seems to have some potential X factor. Opacic is the safe option but reckon we need to take the chance on Russell. Youth is good too.

84 Baby

Referee
Why not all the options? It’s not like we’re setting our grand final team. It’ll be months before Sivo is even a factor and there’ll be other injuries/missed games in that time. Choose the best option for each week

yy_cheng

Coach
Russell is a bigger body then French.

French is 86kg, 181 cm, Russell is 188cm / 90kg and still only 19….still got a few kgs to go..

and Russell has already shown he runs it back harder then French ever did…..
He seems to get down to the ground faster. Dunster wasnt doing that early in his NRL games and got pushed back.

Later on he got to the ground faster.

yy_cheng

Coach
I wouId pick Russell but interestingly in the trial he made 7 runs for 68m yet only 6 PCM, which isn’t great .

For comparison:

Simonson 5 runs for 45m, 17 PCM

Penisini 2 runs for 17m, 7 PCM

Opacic 8 runs for 92 m, 31 PCM

Naiduki 8 runs for 66m, 24 PCM

Komolafe 7 runs for 98m, 31 PCM

However we do have 2 centres in Blake / Penisini who can easily make 100 plus metres a game. I like the genuine speed Russell adds, he is willing to run it back hard and seems to have some potential X factor. Opacic is the safe option but reckon we need to take the chance on Russell. Youth is good too.
I like 2 things about Russell, his speed and his effort.

When a break is made, at least he could be sniffing around as support due to his speed and his determination to be around the ball. Almost like 2 fullbacks. So if Gutho makes a break (usually from dummy half), you might expect to see Russell looming up in support.