What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

trial matches in melbourne

nqcowboy87

Bench
the mlebourne storm would be stupid not too play tial matches in melbourne at places like optus oval or skilled stadium, if not melbourne maybe 2 other teams to try and gather support for our great game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
would be a good idea, I think the played a trial game once in regional victoria got a decent crowd.

Dont they use Optus Oval now as a training facility?

nqboy

First Grade
What about Bob Jane Stadium? A couple of years ago, that was widely considered their best option because it was rectangular and close to facilities. has it been re-named as Skilled or is that another one?

nqcowboy87

Bench
thanks parra fan i was originally going to have bob jane in there but i forgot
i reckon it would be a good stadium for them to play a trial close to the action
bobjane4.gif

bobjane1.jpg

but it would be good to play a league match in the outskirts of geelong too

we don't even get any trial matches in the state. Haven't done for about 3 years or so. would certainly help to develop the code in Victoria if we could expose the game to regional areas instead of simply Melbourne

Alan Shore

First Grade
Melbourne played Canberra in a trial at Falcons Park, Morwell in 2002. For some reason they don't want to repeat it.

Hoops

Juniors
nqboy said:
What about Bob Jane Stadium? A couple of years ago, that was widely considered their best option because it was rectangular and close to facilities. has it been re-named as Skilled or is that another one?
Skilled Stadium is The Geelong Football clubs home ground AKA Kardinia Park. of the Aussie Rules Grounds this wouldn't be bad to watch RL as it is relatively long and skinny so you will be closer to the game.

I'm not sure though if it is the club or the NRL that won't schedule trial matches in Victoria. It is something that needs to be looked at by whoever the decision maker is

Surandy

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Melbourne played Canberra in a trial at Falcons Park, Morwell in 2002. For some reason they don't want to repeat it.

Actually Brian Waldron, Storm CEO, was pushing hard for a trial match in Victoria for 2006 as part of the lead up to the Commonwealth Games.

I don't know what happened as the closest we get this year is Griffith, NSW against the Parramatta Eels.

Oh, and the NRL Community Carnival gets no closer than Lavington, NSW.

Personally I am sick of the NRL paying lip service to this notion that they support a team in Australia's second biggest city!!! They have stuffed us once again with the FTA TV rights, the new exclusive radio rights do nothing for Victorians and when it comes to promotion of the game we get f**k all.

On the other hand the ARL is doing their bit by having State Of Origin 3 and one of the Tri-Nations matches in Melbourne in 2006.

Dutch Oven

Juniors
nqcowboy87 said:
the mlebourne storm would be stupid not too play tial matches in melbourne at places like optus oval or skilled stadium, if not melbourne maybe 2 other teams to try and gather support for our great game.

they might as well play their games at the junction oval. nobody cares .