What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Result: Raiders 28 - Warriors 16

The Raiders led 18-0 at halftime until the Warriors came back to 22-16 at one stage, before the Raiders sealed it with a fourth quarter try.

Apparently some of the tries went to Thurling, Tongue and Milne, not sure on the others.

Our first half defence was said to be very intimidating and aggressive, until the Warriors rattled us in the second half, but we held on. Our halves (Linc and Zilly) were said to be very slick and we played a bit more expansive footy than usual.

I'm sure official newspaper reports will follow, but a good sign in a trial, especially considering we were missing over half of our normal squad, and the Warriors were only missing Price, Wiki and Webb.

Good stuff to start the year!

Raider_69

Post Whore
all there trys were scored straight after half time, in the 3rd quarter
thats the major concern coming out of the game imo, last year we gave away several first half leads, directly after half time, we cant afford to let teams back into the game

aussies1st

Staff member
I agree looks like we have the same problems as last year again. Hopefully we fix this before the start of the season. Also surely Zillman must be in our 17 come round 1 after this showing.

Phoenix_Raider

Juniors
Raider_69 said:
all there trys were scored straight after half time, in the 3rd quarter
thats the major concern coming out of the game imo, last year we gave away several first half leads, directly after half time, we cant afford to let teams back into the game
True but that said, I would say that was due to the number of changes in the 2nd half.. but the 2nd half team eventually found their feet and posted another 2 tries to their credit.
Well done guys!

nickraider

Juniors
Yeah - good to hear Zillman had a good game and he has to be picked for the first game. Could be just the spark we need!!

Iafeta

Referee
Well played Canberra, from the sounds of it deserved the victory.

R69, perhaps for the first 20 of the second dig Elliott put on all young kids and mixed up the positions a bit?

Anyways, congratulations and good luck for the season.

Chachi

Bench
nickraider said:
Yeah - good to hear Zillman had a good game and he has to be picked for the first game. Could be just the spark we need!!
From what I heard, Milne scored off a 30 metre grubber from Zillman. I agree - if Elliott was fixed on starting Smith/Withers in the halves I think I'd prefer to see Zilly on the bench instead of Carney.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Chachi said:
From what I heard, Milne scored off a 30 metre grubber from Zillman. I agree - if Elliott was fixed on starting Smith/Withers in the halves I think I'd prefer to see Zilly on the bench instead of Carney.

ive long thought about the possibilities of maybe running with the following if we get to a position where a tilt at the title is impossible (some might argue that will be rd 1 of the season):

6. Zillman
7. Carney
9. Withers
12. Croker
13. Smith

14. Tongue
17. Woolford

Chachi

Bench
Iafeta said:
Well played Canberra, from the sounds of it deserved the victory.

R69, perhaps for the first 20 of the second dig Elliott put on all young kids and mixed up the positions a bit?

Anyways, congratulations and good luck for the season.

Thanks mate, good luck to your guys too. Sounds like the game was played in pretty dodgy conditions and with all the players out I'm not sure how much we can read into this game!

aussies1st

Staff member
Raider_69 said:
ive long thought about the possibilities of maybe running with the following if we get to a position where a tilt at the title is impossible (some might argue that will be rd 1 of the season):

6. Zillman
7. Carney
9. Withers
12. Croker
13. Smith

14. Tongue
17. Woolford

Perfect team to me, Smith can still kick from lock and Zillman is just prue class.

dazza

Staff member
jason williams & willie raston, imo, were strong.

well deserved win. good luck for the season.

cheers dazza

Raider Azz

Bench
aussies1st said:
Also surely Zillman must be in our 17 come round 1 after this showing.
how can you make a call like that when you didn't even see the game? you read a 2 sentence report of the game, you don't have any idea how zillman played apart from the fact he set up 1 try.

the same people that were demanding carney was to start last year are already off his dick and are onto zillman's. geez the talking up some of you blokes do without even seeing them play is ridiculous.

hotdogs

Juniors
yea great result, pleasing to see, now lets just hope we can carry this on throughout the year. good to see the young guys that were given the chance, gave the oldies a run for their money. have to say another big game this weekend and will be interesting to see if elliott sticks with the young ones.
apparently they're going straight to port macquire rom nz for a week long training camp and the whole squad has to go even the injured ones. saw andrew lomu at club lime pools today with his neices and jason williams family, and he said they all meet up in sydney tomorrow, and apparently if you don't get picked for the game against the broncos they come back on friday and premier league have a game on the weekend down here aswell. now that the likes of smith and crocker will be playing i wonder how elliott will pick the team.

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
how can you make a call like that when you didn't even see the game? you read a 2 sentence report of the game, you don't have any idea how zillman played apart from the fact he set up 1 try.

the same people that were demanding carney was to start last year are already off his dick and are onto zillman's. geez the talking up some of you blokes do without even seeing them play is ridiculous.

Azz stop fence sitting mate ..

I've seen the boy play and I stake my reputation and money on the fact that this guy is going places and is the future of our halves. I made that decision last season after having seen about 3 of his games.

Talent will not stop this guy playing in Rnd 1 .. it will be Elliott and his stubborness to play Smith and Withers.

go_the_doggies

Juniors
Looked like the raiders played well from the news clip on channel 1.

You've got to remember NZ are without Stace, Iafeta and the likes

Bay56 said:
Azz stop fence sitting mate ..

I've seen the boy play and I stake my reputation and money on the fact that this guy is going places and is the future of our halves. I made that decision last season after having seen about 3 of his games.

Talent will not stop this guy playing in Rnd 1 .. it will be Elliott and his stubborness to play Smith and Withers.

Didn't you say the same thing about Carney?

He really carved it up in about the 12 games he played, didn't he?

Oh wait... :?

These expectations (which I've been guilty of in the past as well) could be the downfall of them.

Bay56

First Grade
I Bleed Green said:
Didn't you say the same thing about Carney?

He really carved it up in about the 12 games he played, didn't he?

Oh wait... :?

These expectations (which I've been guilty of in the past as well) could be the downfall of them.

to tell you the truth IBG I dont think I did ... I often stated that I was concerned about Carney going quite too often in a game, ie not making himself available on at least every second play ...

nontheless I stll have great faith in him and I think his combination with Zilly will be the future of this club ..

I've also got great wraps on Marc Herbert ... imo this guy is also a star in the making

Raider Azz

Bench
go_the_doggies said:
You've got to remember NZ are without Stace, Iafeta and the likes
your point? we were without smith, croker, thompson, mogg, carney, etc.

and bay, don't give us that crap, you were all over carney this time last year, calling for elliots head with the rest of them when he wasn't picked. and the year before that it was campese.

all im saying is you guys need to chill out with the hype a little bit. yes, these guys have huge potentional, but talking them up like you do will end in nothing but dissappointment.