What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Result: Raiders 28 - Warriors 16

LeagueNut

First Grade
My two cents - I thought Schifcofske was outstanding for you guys today, aided by some pretty shonky Warriors defense on occasions.

Good luck for the season guys! :)

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18122978-23214,00.html

Raiders curb Warriors comeback
From correspondents in Canberra
February 12, 2006

Warriors 16 Raiders 28

THE Canberra Raiders shook off a second-half comeback by the New Zealand Warriors in a wet pre-season NRL match in Auckland today.

The Raiders had a 22-0 lead early in the second half but three successive tries by the Warriors made it a contest before the visitors closed out the game of four 20-minute quarters.

A 30-metre grubber by Canberra rookie William Zillman gave David Milne the chance to claim the ball just inside the corner of the dead ball line had given the Raiders an apparently impregnable lead.

But the Warriors, lacklustre in the first half, came steaming back into the game.

Winger Todd Byrne scored from a relentless Warriors thrust which spanned the breadth of the field and fullback Tony Martin put one down in the corner soon after.

Then interchange player Cooper Vuna broke free for a 50-metre run in which he shook off three defenders and rolled over the line to bring up a 22-16 scoreline at three-quarter time.

Canberra regained the initiative after the short break when Adrian Purtell scored on the end of a long, questionable pass from the corner.

The Raiders had led 18-0 at half-time after a sluggish start.

The Warriors dominated much of the first quarter but failed to score through spilled balls and missed opportunities.

Advertisement:
The Raiders began to find their feet and in the 18th minute a Marshall Chalk break on the wing found Canberra with the numbers to score through Lincoln Withers.

As heavy rain fell, the Raiders fullback put the visitors further ahead soon after the break when he threaded his way through the Warriors' defence to make it 12-0.

Canberra kept the ball in the Warriors' half for much of the quarter and inevitably scored again when Ryan Hinchcliffe barged his way across the line.

New Zealand Warriors 16 (T Byrne T Martin C Vuna tries T Martin 2 goals)
Canberra Raiders 28 (L Withers C Schifcofske R Hinchcliffe D Milne A Purtell tries, C Schifcofske 4 goals) in an NRL trial match at North Harbour Stadium.

AAP

Stranger

Coach
Elliot is doing a bang up job at canberra, this just proves it!

Re-sign him now!!!... please...

Raider_69

Post Whore
na, we dont have anything to offer him, he is best going to newie and working with twat you have as a halfback

Bay56

First Grade
Raider_Azz said:
and bay, don't give us that crap, you were all over carney this time last year, calling for elliots head with the rest of them when he wasn't picked. and the year before that it was campese.

absolute crap Azz ... I've never been a big fan of Campo, especially at half, and I definitely was not singing his praises in 2004

with respect to Carney in 2005, yes I was in favour of Carney getting a go in FG and criticsed Elliott for not doing so ... but to say I was all over him is, to say the least, stretching it ... I always thougth he was a far better option than Withers and I live by that

Raider_Azz said:
all im saying is you guys need to chill out with the hype a little bit. yes, these guys have huge potentional, but talking them up like you do will end in nothing but dissappointment.
why ?

hotdogs

Juniors
Copa said:
What jersey did they use?

wore the away jersey from last year still with the fone zone logo on it. white shorts and their green socks. what other jersey can they wear they haven't even got a major yet so they've got nothing to put on the front!!!

Vicious

Bench
I`m not a Raiders fan myself, but i did see Zillman play a couple of games through the Premier League finals series last season and he is a real excitement machine when he decides to inject himself into the game. In my opinion it would be craziness if the Raiders being so predictable over the past couple of seasons overlooked such a talented young player. Jason Smith plays a halfback role no matter what number he wears on his back. This being the case, why doesn`t he just wear the 7 and allow either Zillman or the also very talented Todd Carney who is no doubt much better suited with a bit more space to move at 5/8, to actually play 5/8???
On another note can someone tell me why Terry Campese wouldn`t make a very good centre??? He`s big, fast and he has quite a bit of skill. Sounds like the perfect centre to me??? What do you avid Raiders fans think of these comments???

Raider_69

Post Whore
Campese isnt quick enough for a centre, i think lock is his future and if he cant make an impact there i cant see him doing much past being a solid back up or bench player, really has gone off the boil alot in the last year and abit imo

go_the_doggies

Juniors
Raider_Azz said:
your point? we were without smith, croker, thompson, mogg, carney, etc.

and bay, don't give us that crap, you were all over carney this time last year, calling for elliots head with the rest of them when he wasn't picked. and the year before that it was campese.

all im saying is you guys need to chill out with the hype a little bit. yes, these guys have huge potentional, but talking them up like you do will end in nothing but dissappointment.

I have said nothing of the sort, i wasnt even here this time last year:?

ed bbay

Juniors
only trail games boys let the coaches experiment then lets see what happens round 1 . if zillman plays strong in all 3 trails he should be there along with others .
i feel canberra arent game enough to put young blokes in first anymore , they used to with clyde & the like but back then they used to have 2 reserves 4 firsts then pull 2 out of the 2nd grade game to come off bench to make 4 . if clde or daley were playing well in reserves the were pulled to get a rest then put on bench 4 1sts it was good experince 4 the young blokes & it didnt take long to get up to 1st grade level . where these days you ve got to take a risk & i dont think elliot is a risk taker .

Chachi

Bench
Vicious said:
I`m not a Raiders fan myself, but i did see Zillman play a couple of games through the Premier League finals series last season and he is a real excitement machine when he decides to inject himself into the game. In my opinion it would be craziness if the Raiders being so predictable over the past couple of seasons overlooked such a talented young player. Jason Smith plays a halfback role no matter what number he wears on his back. This being the case, why doesn`t he just wear the 7 and allow either Zillman or the also very talented Todd Carney who is no doubt much better suited with a bit more space to move at 5/8, to actually play 5/8???
On another note can someone tell me why Terry Campese wouldn`t make a very good centre??? He`s big, fast and he has quite a bit of skill. Sounds like the perfect centre to me??? What do you avid Raiders fans think of these comments???
At this stage I think Zillman is the perfect impact player to come in off the bench as he is dynamic at 5/8 or also FB if needed, much like McLinden in his early days.

The halves are going to be very interesting for the Raiders this year. Word is Collins has implemented a lot of new patterns with more ball movement in the middle from the likes of Croker. I's also say we will probably get a lot more rotation at hooker this year which will see Withers move from 7 to 9 fairly regularly (notwithstanding Woolford spending his mandatory time suspended).

I agree that Campo could be tried in the centres - he's not as slow as it appears and he would also give us some extra ball playing and kicking options that we haven't seen there since Daley. IMO he also has a solid defence and is a damn site better option than Mogg. It also really depends on how a guy like Ale develops.

Mullins_y2k

Juniors
Chachi said:
I's also say we will probably get a lot more rotation at hooker this year which will see Withers move from 7 to 9 fairly regularly (notwithstanding Woolford spending his mandatory time suspended).

I saw that coming as soon as Clinton took over as caption, it seems to me they plan to rotate Link and Woolfy just as they did Priddis and Woolfy...and you can't have you'r caption spending half the game on the bench can you?

legend

Coach
I'd like to see Chalk given a run in the centres because he runs hard and straight and would be a good compliment to Phil. It would also allow Milne to take up a regular first grade spot on the wing.

Not sure what to do with Ale though.

aussies1st

Staff member
Chachi said:
At this stage I think Zillman is the perfect impact player to come in off the bench as he is dynamic at 5/8 or also FB if needed, much like McLinden in his early days.

I agree Zillman should be on the bench as an impact player. Clearly Elliot wants a interchange back as shown when he picked nuffy Gafa on numerous occasions. Zillman would be a much better reserve than Gafa ever was.

legend

Coach
Frawley should be cut from the squad ASAP. We have more than enough backup and talent to compensate for his paltry 2 matches a year. Send him back to Brisbane.

dubby

Bench
thats a bit harsh Legend.

It will be interesting to see how we go against the Broncos hey?

woodgers

Bench
Raider_Azz said:

In saying that Azz, the person who has talked him up the most is your man Mr Elliott. For a guy who has never played a minute of NRL, Elliott has informed everyone willing to listen that he is a player to watch and a star of the future, he even singled him out for attention on the news again this morning. That will certainly make it easier for him when he gets his chance in 2009.....