What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Result: Raiders 28 - Warriors 16

Paullyboy

Coach
What Raider Azz said on the first page was close to the truest thing Ive read on these forums.

2 years ago I heard so much about how Campese was the next big thing, last year I heard all about Carney - if Zillman starts getting the hype too I think i'll cry. We've got enough halves with potential who dont deliver. Please Zillman, PLEASE be the star we've been waiting for.

julian87

Juniors
I think giving Campese a go in the centres wouldn't hurt. I think we need a big solid defensive centre. I also think once Nathan Smith is fit, he should be given a go at one of the wing spots, the other Marshall Chalk. I also agree with Chalk getting a shot in the centres as well though. I too hope Zillman has a huge yr and proves his worth in first grade.

dubby

Bench
Paullyboy said:
What Raider Azz said on the first page was close to the truest thing Ive read on these forums.

2 years ago I heard so much about how Campese was the next big thing, last year I heard all about Carney - if Zillman starts getting the hype too I think i'll cry. We've got enough halves with potential who dont deliver. Please Zillman, PLEASE be the star we've been waiting for.

Man, you have said just about the second truest thing said on these forums.

Lets give the kids a break..

thickos

First Grade
Man did Campo get pumped up on this forum in the 2003-04 off-season. Carney last year. This is the 'curse of Ricky and Lozza'... we're all desperate for a quality playmaker again, and as most of us were around to appreciate those geniuses we want something similar again.

Now its Zillman turn to live the hype, while already Campo is "out the door" in some people's books.

"We've made a false idol of this Brad Goodman..." - let's just give these fledgling careers a chance for once?

Edwahu

Bench
No body has expected miracles from these kids. All we expected was that they would get a decent run to show us what they are capable. Maybe that will happen this year.

thickos

First Grade
Totally agree Edwahu, thats why I think its a bit rough that people are casting Campo aside already. His career has only started.

Raider_69

Post Whore
the problem with Campo IMO, is as a 5/8th i dont think he has improved much from his 2003 game and realistically that was the period in which he should have made most improvement. Which is why im keen to give him a go at lock. Carney over the years has just gotten better and better, its time to give him the halfback spot and see if he is gonna be the player his potential can take him too... Zillman has just burst onto the scene in a big way, he too has enormus potential but they need to be given time in FG to make these improvements... sadly i doubt elliott will give either much of a go

Paullyboy

Coach
People keep saying that you cant cast aside Campo or Carney yet, and saying how good they looked in reserves but the simple fact is, you can tell fairly quickly whether someone will have what it takes to make it in first grade or not.

For example, you could tell from the instant that Michael Weyman, Jermaine Ale and Marshall Chalk played first grade that they would be stars. At the moment they arent, but you can see the basics are all right for their respective positions and with experience and opportunity they will thrive.

Campo and Carney dont strike me as having the skill set to thrive at the elite level. Like any half they will have a good day here and there, but they just havent shown me enough to think they are long term prospects.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i think in Carneys limited game time he has shown enough to suggest he could be a super star... his game against parra and the first half against the tigers are 2 examples

also in his debut game against the dogs, we were down by 4 points in the dying minutes, he summed up the situation beautifully and put a very well weighted kick behind the defencive line, and came very close to winning the game for us, El Mazri narrowly beat out Graham i believe to the ball... he showed wisdom far beyond his years in that game.

You must also remember that he is playing in a team who are forward focused and rarely put on a backline movement. Makes it hard for a halfback to shine

SOULS 04

Juniors
yeh i reckon carney has shown plenty in firsts to show that he has the class to mkae it. of course consistancy is the key but these other blokes that have made an immediate impacty arent halfbacks which for mine is the most pivotal position on the park and alot harder to make an impact immediatley especially in an organising role.

i think tim smith is a bit of an exception and had a great year in 05 although im intrested to see how he'll go in 06 either way he is still an exception making such a massive impact in his first real year.

Chachi

Bench
IMHO they all have the ability to make it in FG. I just think Carney and Campo struggled in the playmaker role on a consistent basis, as you'd expect from guys so young. You could tell by Campo's mid field bombs that he panicked on a few occasions - but that's the sort of thing that will improve with experience. Fundamentally they've both got the skills to make a real impact.

Daley and Stuart started in a team choc full of experience and superstars - and on top of that Daley played in the centres for a few years so you simply can't make comparisons.

I also think Zillman has the style of game which will benefit him and the team if he comes of the bench early in his career. The same cannot be said of a guy like Carney who needs good consistent game time to be effective.

skeepe

Immortal
Carney showed me in his FG debut that he was easily FG material, and will be in the top group of halves for his era. The kick that Raider_69 mentioned, as well as his generally cool and confident demeanor on the pitch said more thank his performance. The problem is, he seems to have lost a little of that confidence lately. A few good performances, and we'll see how good this kid really is.

thickos

First Grade
It's also tough to run a team that is so full of injuries that there are no combinations and consistency.

Vicious

Bench
Vicious said:
I`m not a Raiders fan myself, but i did see Zillman play a couple of games through the Premier League finals series last season and he is a real excitement machine when he decides to inject himself into the game. In my opinion it would be craziness if the Raiders being so predictable over the past couple of seasons overlooked such a talented young player. Jason Smith plays a halfback role no matter what number he wears on his back. This being the case, why doesn`t he just wear the 7 and allow either Zillman or the also very talented Todd Carney who is no doubt much better suited with a bit more space to move at 5/8, to actually play 5/8???
On another note can someone tell me why Terry Campese wouldn`t make a very good centre??? He`s big, fast and he has quite a bit of skill. Sounds like the perfect centre to me??? What do you avid Raiders fans think of these comments???

Good coach that Matt Elliott, Jason Smith picked rightfully at halfback with Zillman and Carney to fight out the 5/8 spot. Now he just needs to trial Campese in the centres and the Raiders will be going places.