What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v Eels @ Rotorua

AliN

Live Update Team
Here ya go Phantom

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4650800/NZ-Warriors-knock-over-Parramatta-Eels

Three second-half tries saw the New Zealand Warriors shut out the Parramatta Eels 24-4 in pre-season NRL trial at Rotorua's International Stadium today.

Tries to Manu Vatuvei and new signing Krisnan Inu gave the Warriors a narrow 8-4 halftime lead, with second rower Taniera Lasalo crossing to pull one back for the Eels.
First-year NRL player Glen Fisiiahi impressed with a brace of tries in the second spell, Lewis Brown scoring the last to give Ivan Cleary's side an encouraging 20-point win.

The Warriors were without James Maloney, out through illness, with Isaac John called in as a late replacement to partner former Junior Warriors captain Elijah Taylor in the halves.

It was John's first run of the season after recovering from knee surgery.
Also turning out for the first time after missing the 22-22 draw with Newcastle in Greymouth last weekend were winger Vatuvei, centre Jerome Ropati, hooker Aaron Heremaia and props Sam Rapira, Ben Matulino and Russell Packer.

Brothers Sam and Steve Rapira played together in a Warriors side for the first time today, after previously having played together for the Junior Kiwis in 2005.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Sounds like The Fish is going to put some serious pressure on the first graders. Cleary might have to make some tough calls early on.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Is he a chance to supplant Hohaia this season? The issue would then become what to do with Lance.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
If the Fish takes his spot the only thing to do would be to release Lance so he gets to play FG elsewhere or in England. Would free up a bit of cash too...

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Fair enough. There is not much doubt in my mind that he will end up a better player than Lance, not to say that I don't rate Hohaia.

hitman82

Bench
If the Fish takes his spot the only thing to do would be to release Lance so he gets to play FG elsewhere or in England. Would free up a bit of cash too...
I anticipate Lance playing out at least 2011, then in 2012 IF Fish or Locke have developed and maintained consistent form and are ready to take the number 1 jersey, Hohaia will either head elsewhere or become a hooker/utility again.

Skinner

Coach
Lancer has had umpteen opportunities and valid reasons to leave the Warriors in the past. He has not done it and, I believe, is unlikely to unless he is pushed.

Back to super utility I think.

Izz

Bench
When he retires he'll be crowned King of Huntly and live out his days sitting on a throne by the highway, waving at passing cars.

hitman82

Bench
^ haha, agree with both of these posts.

Lance is an extremely solid fullback and until one of the youngsters is REALLY ready to take over, he should keep the spot. There's no way we should drop an in-form veteran who does nothing wrong, especially when we lack experience across the park.

Longterm, I'd like us to have a fullback with a bit more attacking flair - as Locke and Fish both have potential for.

I like Lance and really hope he is treated well by the management and becomes a super sub on good coin when he is eventually usurped.

Meth

Staff member
Lance is an extremely solid fullback and until one of the youngsters is REALLY ready to take over, he should keep the spot. There's no way we should drop an in-form veteran who does nothing wrong, especially when we lack experience across the park.

Longterm, I'd like us to have a fullback with a bit more attacking flair - as Locke and Fish both have potential for.

I like Lance and really hope he is treated well by the management and becomes a super sub on good coin when he is eventually usurped.

Great post

1MTDaz

Juniors

That wont ever happen, If the fish does get a crack at the fullback spot I hope they allow Kevin Locke to move on and find another club (in the nrl) thats going to give him a crack at fb, down on confidence I think but more skillful than the fish imo, Going to watch the trail in whangerai this weekend so will be very interested to see how he goes.